C-notching the Rear & Spring Under for lower ride height?

ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Re: C-notching the Rear & Spring Under for lower ride height?

Post by ntsqd »

Spring under or spring over, for a given amount of wheel travel the arch at full bump will be the same. Limiting travel with some arch left in the spring is the key. Spring under just confuses the issue. The spring's natural arch plus the axle assembly weight hanging on it determines the droop limit (unless strapped shorter). Where the bump limit is set then determines both travel and incidentally the approximate spring life.

Excluding the wheel hop issue I don't see any connection between spring life and spring under unless one wants to discuss the granular compression/tension minutiae of whether having the perch on the top or on the bottom of the spring is better for the spring, which I highly doubt makes much difference.

So if converted to spring under configuration you save the work of moving the mounts, what does that do for rear drive shaft angles and plunge?

Linked is always billed as the grand solution, but unless the problem is that of a race vehicle I'm not convinced that it is the grand solution. For certain applications it certainly is the best option, but for other applications it is a serious compromise in over-all function.

fwiw, I am the same 'ntsqd' as formerly frequently on rdc, and on the cheeZe. :)
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

For what it's worth Geoff at Giant gets 18" of travel with about 1/4 plunge with his 64" kit on a Bronco. Leaf springs can be very capable if done right. The same goes for a link setup, if the geometry and spring rates are bad almost any leaf setup can easily out perform it.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Blueblood

Post by Blueblood »

so as i understand it its a pain in the the a$$ for not much gain????????
RSR

Post by RSR »

philofab wrote:For what it's worth Geoff at Giant gets 18" of travel with about 1/4 plunge with his 64" kit on a Bronco. Leaf springs can be very capable if done right. The same goes for a link setup, if the geometry and spring rates are bad almost any leaf setup can easily out perform it.
I spoke with Goeff about this spring under setup recently. He said that the 19" travel stated on the website was incorrect. The setup on an F150 gets 19", however, on the bronco it gets 21" metal to metal because of differences in the frame.

I just got a set of springs from Deaver that looks to give the same amount, however they will go into negative arch. As soon as I get the rear shackles built I will have hard numbers and will post pics.