axle wrap

BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Re: axle wrap

Post by BDKW1 »

Polarcub wrote:Paul great read....I am not overly educated on this subject but will the single "link" on the drivers side control the wrap as well as a standard 2 link across the whole rear end?
As long as your not running an 8.8.............
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

BDKW1 wrote:
Polarcub wrote:Paul great read....I am not overly educated on this subject but will the single "link" on the drivers side control the wrap as well as a standard 2 link across the whole rear end?
As long as your not running an 8.8.............
Haha! Then wrap becomes rip.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Dust wrote:
SteveG wrote:Jeff Huseman (I think his name is Jeff) had a "beater" short course Ranger with a cool rear "link" set up. It basically turned the rear suspension into a 3-link with leaf spring lower links. The leaf/axle pivot would need to be moved fore or aft the axle to keep lift to a minimum, but it would be fun to play with.

Here is my Kindergarten level drawing of it.
In my experience, from a wheel hop perspective (which is generated by wrapping the spring into a "S" shape and having it snap back) locating the link above the main leaf will actually have no effect or even increase the problem.
Using and upper link isn't ideal because it puts the front section of the spring in compression, but I don't see how it would make it worse. Especially since it's pushing on the spring from a single point (the pivot) instead a flat 4-5" perch trying to twist the spring.
ChaseTruck754 wrote:The Husemans (there are 3 brothers I believe) do some cool, different stuff!
Looking at their work is like a Where's Waldo book. Look long enough and you find bits of simple genius hidden here and there.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

SteveG wrote:
Dust wrote:
SteveG wrote: In my experience, from a wheel hop perspective (which is generated by wrapping the spring into a "S" shape and having it snap back) locating the link above the main leaf will actually have no effect or even increase the problem.
Using and upper link isn't ideal because it puts the front section of the spring in compression, but I don't see how it would make it worse. Especially since it's pushing on the spring from a single point (the pivot) instead a flat 4-5" perch trying to twist the spring.
Think of it this way.
Link UNDER the spring, apply torque reaction and the spring is in tension it is trying to pull itself into its longest configuration therefore it can not achieve the "S" shape.
Link OVER the spring (3-link, et al) the spring is in compression (as you point out) the spring is trying to get into its shortest configuration which would be the "S" or broken.

Been dealing with big blocks, large tires, and leaf springs for years there are ways that work and them that do not.
I think that John was the first guy I ever knew that did the two link and it was likely that innovation that had me calling him several decades ago. He took the time to explain it and far better then I just did. The problem with the two link is it is an anchor, or gets bent (link length changes and bind) the floating ladder bar for lack of a better really works but because it is only on one side if you are running a marginal axle (8.8) the loading can twist the tube out of the third member. Running two is like running ladder bars; which makes the axle in to a BIG sway bar.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

so after talking to a guy at national spring, and getting his input on spring bind and plunge etc... i have decided to build a link set up simaler the the one Paulw posted a link to. it will have a shackle to allow plunge and not wrap. i'm starting on the layout today and will post up pics when i make some progress.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

bajascott wrote:so after talking to a guy at national spring, and getting his input on spring bind and plunge etc... i have decided to build a link set up simaler the the one Paulw posted a link to. it will have a shackle to allow plunge and not wrap. i'm starting on the layout today and will post up pics when i make some progress.
FWIW RuffStuff has the axle mounts and bushings for a reasonable price :)
RSR

Post by RSR »

I have an 82 F250 2x4 built big block. It has been used for towing all its life. The rear springs were squashed and i put a new set on, took big overload spring off bottom and replace with 3 thinner springs, and put air bags on. I tore the driveline out twice in the sand from tire hop. I put an Autofab 2 link on and it eliminated the tire hop completely and the truck feels completely different. Leaf springs will break eventually, but it appears to me that the 2 link takes the work of preventing axle twist away from the springs so all they have to do is hold up the vehicle.
economig
Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L

Post by economig »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:The Husemans (there are 3 brothers I believe) do some cool, different stuff!
There's 4... Danny (Science / Engineer degree, awesome welder & fabricator), Rick (Champion Pro 4 driver -no big surprise there), Kevin (Builder, mechanic, welder, all around good at everything) and Jeff (Youngest but all of the above too. Had some very good finishes in pro-lite... They all work with the team). @SteveG, i might be able to dig up some old pics of that truck, gotta check my old desktop. They always did a lot with a little. Maximized simplicity?
T H R E A T Motorsports
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

if you dig up anything make it of the 70's Fords. They took the one glamis video off youtube and now I can't drool over the black truck anymore :cry:
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
economig
Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L

Post by economig »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:if you dig up anything make it of the 70's Fords. They took the one glamis video off youtube and now I can't drool over the black truck anymore :cry:
yeah dude, i love(d) that video! i'll see if i can get it indirectly, maybe?? call one of them and see if the owner would be willing to put it back up? i remember there was something right before the video was removed? or somebody on DR started something? maybe i'm wrong on that? kinda foggy... like somebody was confusing it with a similar build and somebody else started getting negative? not sure but it was a bummer when they took it down. i used to see that beast sitting in their shop forEVAR and it drove me crazy. owner's a good friend of theirs and there was no immediate hurry cause they were so busy with full race schedule & stuff. i still gotta look through all the old pics on my desktop too, haven't had a chance yet. it's funny how way back, when forums / internet stuff was still pretty new to me, i never really thought i'd have laptops (plural) and iPhones, tapatalk, etc down the road... i had a pretty nice archive of prerunners and race trucks that was kept with little to no organization ha ha now i miss em.

back on topic... i'm getting the front end of my Bronco started in a week and a halfish and hoping to tackle the F53's beginning of October... this thread and some others have me totally overthinking what i used to think was simple :? not sure how much money/effort i want to throw at it now :cry:
T H R E A T Motorsports