want to build a fsb for sand, need input

plymouthrock
Bronco Info: had a 71 years ago, but want to get an 80-96 to build for sand dunes

want to build a fsb for sand, need input

Post by plymouthrock »

Hey everyone, Im new to the site, Im a ramcharger/trails/rocks kind of guy but want to build a full size bronco for sand dunes, I think the ttb would work well in the sand and for jumps etc. I love the look of the prerunner broncos but here in southern Kansas there are no desert races. but little sahara dunes are not far away. I was wondering what year fsb you all think would be best to build, as in carb or fuel injected, and also suspension suggestions that would work good in the dunes. thanks in advance for any help.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: want to build a fsb for sand, need input

Post by SteveG »

All the TTB trucks are virtually the same. EFI is better than a carb. Buy the latest and cleanest Bronco you can afford and fix it up from there. The sky is the limit on suspension. My recommendation is to keep it simple and don't blow your wad on bling. Figure out your budget and plan from there. Plan and build something you can afford and finish in the very near future. Don't make a several year plan. Be realistic so you can have fun NOW.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Welcome! Maybe go a step further and go mass air flow. Suspension, Steve couldn't have said it better. You don't need a bunch of money on the suspension. Build it on your budget.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
navynuke
Bronco Info: 82 Bronco with some goodies

Post by navynuke »

I need more power, but have a great time in the sand. my 302 is carbed with 200k on the clock give or take, so we both know it dosn't have much power anyway.

4 inch lift with 2.5 inch reservoir shocks, and 4.10 gears work great with 35s. if you have OD then maybe 4.56 gears.

just keep the 4x4 as they get stuck in 2wd easily

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Im never gonna live that down.....low blow Ken! Like said above the only short coming of the Broncos in sand is in the power department. Ive got a pretty potent 351 under the hood but its still not comparablke to the modern V8 powerplants. Having a good suspension makes all the difference though because it allows you to go faster and keep your momentum up. Oh, and yes thats my white bronco stuck for the 3rd time that weekend after losing 4x4.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
navynuke

Post by navynuke »

I didn't say how often you got stuck.......

I want to get back out there with the King's on the rear, see how she does. Felt good last week jumping it in a couple places near havasu, just gotta go get some pics/video.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Put more money into horsepower than suspension if its for the sand! They things are heavy.

Simple cut and turn beam, deavers, bilsteins and roll cage with 500hp would be fun in the sand.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
navynuke

Post by navynuke »

hp, or put it on a diet. Mine with the cage etc. is about 5200 lbs, I'm sure you could get it down to 4,000 or 4500 by pulling carpet/trim/top etc from the beast, that would help offset some of the need for power.
plymouthrock
Bronco Info: had a 71 years ago, but want to get an 80-96 to build for sand dunes

Post by plymouthrock »

hey nuke, hows those mud grips work in the sand? Ive heard that I should go with and all terrain and the wider the better.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

my bronco wieghs 5680 with fiberglass front clip/bedsides-full cage,one spare, tw0 people and gear for a weekend.
i would go with an all terrain in my experiance they dont dig as much. i have hancook dynapro mt's and they dont seem to be too bad in the sand but i wiould rather use the a/t's....
"Simple cut and turn beam, deavers, bilsteins and roll cage with 500hp would be fun in the sand." yes it would....
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
navynuke

Post by navynuke »

The muds dig too much. I agree some AT's would be the way to go. You want to get on top and float on the sand, digging just bogs down any motor, no matter the hp
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

A less aggressive tire will work better. If it's just for sand why not invest in paddles for the rear? Tires with less of a square edge seem to float better too.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Well at least now I know why I was always hard on the throttle! I've got the procomp mud terrain xt's and wooow was I always in the sand.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
plymouthrock

Post by plymouthrock »

i have thought about paddles. by the way what is a cut and turn beam? is there a thread on here about it?
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

modified ttb's to eliminatre the need for drop down brackets and gains ground clearance.
p.s. dont ask how its done cuz we'd have to kill you after we told you...... :)
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

I say TTB the Prospector! :mrgreen: (Bonus if it's got a 440!)
CBDuner
Bronco Info: Wishing I had one!

Post by CBDuner »

BFG All-Terrains are the best sand tires I've owned. 35's only aired down to 14-16 pounds flex out nice and I can go anywhere in the dunes in 2wd. I've driven many many many different rigs and tire combinations in the sand, mostly mud terrains. All terrains work much better.

My Bronco is a very simple build and is a lot of fun in the sand.
jimmyd
Bronco Info: sold 94 (wanna bronco on FSB) 1997 f250 hd

Post by jimmyd »

if your serious about this i could probably give you hand. where in kansas are you?
plymouthrock

Post by plymouthrock »

Oswego, got to find a bronco first tho.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Just a third or fourth for sand onl I owuld keep with an AT vs a mud I run Goodyear wranglers and in the soft stuff the digg like crazy not to the point of being stuck but if all you do is street and sand a good All terrain is the way to go.
Jeremy