DD GFB

92Custom
Bronco Info: 1992 Custom. 302/5 speed/ manual 4x4 and hubs.

DD GFB

Post by 92Custom »

Okay, I've decided that the rock crawler gang's suspension setups are not ideally suited for what I want out of my truck. Broncospeed sounds more in line with what I want to be able to do, but unlike you guys I don't want/need the ability to take whoops at highway speeds.

What I do want, though, is 3-4" of lift, good travel (17" is overkill, I think) a very stout suspension capable of catching air and not breaking things, a daily driver that can pull 80 on the interstate comfortably, and a smooth ride. We don't have desert whoops here in Nebraska, but we do have the Platte river.

Any basic pointers? Most of what I see here involves pre-runner grade trucks. I don't have the money for that, or at least I don't want to spend that much. (I do understand that I will get what I pay for)

I was thinking cut/turned beams, 4 inch lift coils and extended radius arms up front, with Deaver leafs out back and Bilstein shocks, mostly because it's where someone else pointed me, but I don't really know where to go from there. Any specific GFB shop to buy parts from/not buy parts from, and pointers on a specific setup? I can spend a fair amount of money, but if possible I'd like to do what most want, and get the most bang for the least buck, so long as quality isn't compromised.

Help the noob? :D
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: DD GFB

Post by SteveG »

92Custom wrote:I was thinking cut/turned beams, 4 inch lift coils and extended radius arms up front, with Deaver leafs out back and Bilstein shocks, mostly because it's where someone else pointed me, but I don't really know where to go from there.
For what you want, that's pretty much all you need. I would add some limit straps to keep from destroying the shocks and call it good. The above parts will give you the performance you need plus it's a good foundation in case you decide to upgrade later.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

X2 on what Steve said. Bilstein 5100s, deavers, straps with cut and turn beams and radius arms are greeat. Will drive better than factory, and still give you 13-14" travel front and rear. As Steve mentioned, upgrades are also easy from that stage.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I ran mine that way when I started and loved it then. Perfect starting point.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
92Custom

Post by 92Custom »

Any tips on what exact springs to buy, or beams, or specific vendors to check out?

Also, THANKS GUYS! Most places where anyone asks questions like these get "gtfo and search, n00b" answers....
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

92Custom wrote:Any tips on what exact springs to buy, or beams, or specific vendors to check out?

Also, THANKS GUYS! Most places where anyone asks questions like these get "gtfo and search, n00b" answers....
I think the most bang for the buck is Solo Motorsports' $300 cut and turn beams and run some Rancho extended radius arms. For the springs look for some 4" Pro-Comp or Deavers used online. If you keep an eye out in Craigslist I'm sure you'll run across the radius arms and springs.

Chris
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

you can find a good deal online if you look around, as stated before solo is great, southwest performance autofab or my self for that matter are other options.
just keep your eyes peeled for the deals on this site in classifieds or racedezert.com and you will find everything you need!
coils i would use the procomp 4" coils (i have them in mine) and they have been a great spring. and of course deaver in the rear or national spring in san diego does(or did )nice springs as well....
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
hobbyturnedobsession

I'm a huge deaver fan. Not so much on the nationals. They squeek too much for me and don't seem to be built as well as the deavers. Theres alot of deavers up for grabs too.
bajascott
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i guess i'll find out soon enough when i get my 61" nat'ls installed!! haha
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
hobbyturnedobsession

I'm not bashing please let me know!!! I've ridden in only one truck with them.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Deavers are the same as Nationals. Nationals used to be whet everybody would go for but Deaver has stepped into that spot in the last 5 years or more. From what I have heard National's customer service dropped off massively so people stopped using them. I've ran both and been happy with both. Jeff at Deaver is cool and easy to deal with though and with them being 20 minutes from my house they get all my business now.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I'm a huge deaver fan. Not so much on the nationals. They squeek too much for me and don't seem to be built as well as the deavers.
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I'm not bashing please let me know!!! I've ridden in only one truck with them.
Deliberate or not, it was bashing. You made a broad generalization about a company and their product with no disclaimer. Judging by your first quote alone, it sounds as if you have years of experience with both products and it sounds as if your comment is valid. Then your second post tells the reader you don't know... well, you get the idea.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

I've had a couple sets of Nationals and haven't had any issues. They have always worked well on and off-road. I believe National did have some customer service issues but if I remember correctly, they have changed hands and have improved dramatically.

Deavers are good, too and the owners are great people. But they have too many options for my small brain. When I ordered leaves for my Bronco, I called Autofab and said, "I need some leaves for my Bronco." They were here the next day and I bolted them on... no sweat, no problems.

I like to order front and rear springs from the same company so I know they will work well together and the ride-height will be correct. You can save lots by buying used but you don't know what you're getting and what the end product will be.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

92Custom wrote:Also, THANKS GUYS! Most places where anyone asks questions like these get "gtfo and search, n00b" answers....
Well there's nothing wrong with searching here, too. Unfortunately the site search feature kinda blows at the moment. I recommend Google advanced search. Google stuff like "allintitle: leaf site:gofastbroncos.com" or "allintitle: spring site:gofastbroncos.com"
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

ive had really good springs from both places and really bad springs too.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Deavers or nationals, both great. Also, both will squeak, actually, if your bronco doesn't squeak, it needs to be taken out more often.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

tcm glx wrote:Deavers or nationals, both great. Also, both will squeak, actually, if your bronco doesn't squeak, it needs to be taken out more often.
My nationals don't squeek, but then again... :mrgreen:
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

You have to bolt them on for the truck to squeak Nick. Hahahaha
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

Nick wrote:
tcm glx wrote:Deavers or nationals, both great. Also, both will squeak, actually, if your bronco doesn't squeak, it needs to be taken out more often.
My nationals don't squeek, but then again... :mrgreen:
they squeek as you jump on them on the floor....or when steve does on his...lol
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

:lol: :lol:
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
92Custom

Post by 92Custom »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So, guys, which Deavers? The F53s?

And which Deavers Coils, since I'd like to just go all from one to help make sure it rides somewhat even...