8.8 to 9" swap info on driveshaft and u joint

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: 9'' options

Post by philofab »

Where you at? I've got a 9" out of a bronco sitting in the shop right now. It showed up as trade and I've got it for sale on DR for $275

And yes as Paul said the ones out of an econoline are wider. I think 1.5" wider overall (.75" per side) but Philo should be able to say for sure. I know it's not much extra width but look at your bedsides if you are doing this.

Also I believe the van ones are 28 spline whereas the bronco ones are 31 spline.
79 and older use different bearing retainers, and can be narrower.

Van rears are 28 spline, and require a bit more work to put in. They also use unequal length axles so that means two spare axles.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

philofab wrote:79 and older use different bearing retainers, and can be narrower.
Do you mean tapered roller bearings vs ball, or the actual retaining plate itself?
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

79 and older use different bearing retainers, and can be narrower.
are the bronco axles truly equal length? If so I don't think the 9" I have is a bronco. THere is a pic in my add here http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/parts-a ... ost2737235 and they look pretty close to equal in it, but I can't remember for sure so I'll look tonight.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Retaining plate style and bronco axles are 32".
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

philofab wrote:Not all 83-86 1/2 tons had 9" rears. The 8.8 was an option in those years.
True, kind of hard to confuse them though.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

ok I'm a tard - I checked and the axles are equal length, 31.5" or so and 31 spline. Looks like it is for sure a bronco rear end.
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Swapping 8.8 for 9 inch questions

Post by cwrisley »

The 8.8 is slowly dying and spraying gear oil everywhere (and I just replaced pinon seal). I came up on another 9 inch ready to swap in.

A few questions though: I have an 84 Bronco, 9 inch came out of an 80 Bronco. Should I expect any complications or hang ups with the swap? Will the pinon angle be the same? Any other parts I should replace while down there (U-Bolts, etc)? Anything else I should know?

Educate me, please.
@cwriz
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: Swapping 8.8 for 9 inch questions

Post by AussieRod »

cwrisley wrote:The 8.8 is slowly dying and spraying gear oil everywhere (and I just replaced pinon seal). I came up on another 9 inch ready to swap in.

A few questions though: I have an 84 Bronco, 9 inch came out of an 80 Bronco. Should I expect any complications or hang ups with the swap? Will the pinon angle be the same? Any other parts I should replace while down there (U-Bolts, etc)? Anything else I should know?

Educate me, please.
It should be a drop-in, but check the uni size. I am sure they SHOULD be the same, but it pays to check the cross width across the caps and cap diameter.
Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Post by Dezertbronco »

cwrisley wrote:The 8.8 is slowly dying and spraying gear oil everywhere (and I just replaced pinon seal). I came up on another 9 inch ready to swap in.

Educate me, please.
Depending on what year your bronco is it will need a VSS sensor and a RABS sensor to make everything talk.

Its never a drop in deal.

There is a lengthy thread on this by kris form shockseals.com with alot of info.

I am going to do the same as you but am slowly gathering parts...
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Educate me, please.
This has been covered previously as was mentioned. The driveshaft may be too short as well.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Educate me, please.
My 84 came with a 9"....
If your truck has a C6, you should be able to get the 9", driveshaft and any other parts needed for the swap out of a donor vehicle. t should be a relatively straight-forward swap. No need for a speed sensor since it's not EFI.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Re: 8.8 to 9" swap info on driveshaft and u joint

Post by Broncodawg »

Wasn't it mid 80s when they switched from 9 to 8.8?
Anyone know what year? Thanks,
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Broncodawg wrote:Wasn't it mid 80s when they switched from 9 to 8.8?
Both rear ends were available in 83-85. 80-83 was 9" only, 86+ was 8.8 only. Some of the 8.8s do not have the VSS.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

philofab wrote:
Broncodawg wrote:Wasn't it mid 80s when they switched from 9 to 8.8?
Both rear ends were available in 83-85. 80-83 was 9" only, 86+ was 8.8 only. Some of the 8.8s do not have the VSS.

Apparently my 8.8 in my 86 with a 5.0 EFI engine does not have a VSS on the rear axle so I maybe going to a 9" rear end as well.

Chris
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

BajaBronco13 wrote:Apparently my 8.8 in my 86 with a 5.0 EFI engine does not have a VSS on the rear axle so I maybe going to a 9" rear end as well.

Chris
The speed sensor might be in the speedometer cable.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

SteveG wrote:
BajaBronco13 wrote:Apparently my 8.8 in my 86 with a 5.0 EFI engine does not have a VSS on the rear axle so I maybe going to a 9" rear end as well.

Chris
The speed sensor might be in the speedometer cable.
Good to know Steve. Thank you sir.

CP
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

And apparently my '86 bronco that had a 9" didn't ever exist...

Oh wait - yes it did. 9"s came in the things up until early 87 from what I've heard. I owned an '86 with one so I know they were at least in there that long.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:And apparently my '86 bronco that had a 9" didn't ever exist...

Oh wait - yes it did. 9"s came in the things up until early 87 from what I've heard. I owned an '86 with one so I know they were at least in there that long.
I have never seen a 9" in a square body style truck. I believe you though, Ford had to use up the left overs somewhere.
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

I got the new 9 inch in. It actually went in very easy....which scares me!! The u-joint from the 8.8 yoke was replaced a couple months ago, fit nice and tight in the 9" yoke. No play whatsoever. Everything else bolted right up without a hitch.

My biggest question is whether or not its worth trying to pull the parking brake cables out of the 8.8 or just run it without. The Bronco is my DD, but I rarely ever drive it anywhere other than to work (occassional store, mall, harbor freight runs). Ive never actually needed the parking break, but always feared that it would "pop outta gear". What do you guys do? Run it or leave it?
@cwriz
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Keep the parking brake.
Sho nuff,
SteveG