Cut and Turn Questions

DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Cut and Turn Questions

Post by DMbronco »

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

Had a couple questions you might be able to shed a little light on...

I picked up some camburg c&t beams and radius arms from Tony last weekend (Thanks Tony, Mark, Vic, Mark Sr, Andrew!)

I am not in the position to go coilover yet, although I'm sure I'll go to there in the future.

For the time being, I intend to run deaver 5.5 coils in the stock coil bucket.

It is my understanding that the beams are cut and turned to accomodate 4 inches of lift- and mount at the stock axle pivots.
If my coils are 5.5- do I need to compensate with mild drop brackets, or will the stock ones Philo (thanks!) has work?

Last question, any shock recommendations for me? I have the bilstein 5100s on the current 4" and am satisfied- will the 5100 intended for 6" be a good choice?

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions!

Bray
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: Cut and Turn Questions

Post by tcm glx »

DMbronco wrote:Good afternoon Gentlemen,

Had a couple questions you might be able to shed a little light on...

I picked up some camburg c&t beams and radius arms from Tony last weekend (Thanks Tony, Mark, Vic, Mark Sr, Andrew!)

I am not in the position to go coilover yet, although I'm sure I'll go to there in the future.

For the time being, I intend to run deaver 5.5 coils in the stock coil bucket.

It is my understanding that the beams are cut and turned to accomodate 4 inches of lift- and mount at the stock axle pivots.
If my coils are 5.5- do I need to compensate with mild drop brackets, or will the stock ones Philo (thanks!) has work?

Last question, any shock recommendations for me? I have the bilstein 5100s on the current 4" and am satisfied- will the 5100 intended for 6" be a good choice?

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions!

Bray

Keep the 4" coil and 5100's, you will enjoy that setup! No need for the 5.5" coil. If you do use the 5.4" coil, I would install first, most folks using the Deaver coil only see 4-5" of lift.... especially if you got it used.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i would go with the 4" coils as well, the problem with the 5.5 deaver coild is that they are longer and they actually bow outwards when compressed due to their lenght and spring rate.
i run a 4" procomp in mine and it works good. i have had the 5.5's before and liked the ride on the street but i prefer the 4" over it in the dirt
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

The deavers are softer than most 4" springs so ride height is about what a 4" spring will be. I have run both and they both work well. I as well have camburg beams and either spring with the 5100s is fine. Just do yourself a favor and add limit straps.
Jeremy
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

There is enough alignment range with 0-3 degree eccentrics that you could align with either spring. I would probably run the 4" coil though.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

Thanks for the responses fellas.

I am actually looking to gain a bit more height for a couple of reasons.

First, I plan to run 35s and keep the stock fenders.

Second, I do all kinds of driving, some slow stuff where i'll need all the clearance I can get.

Tony: If I keep the 4" coil, I'll need to mod the fenders to clear 35s then? Hoping to go a bit bigger with the tires now that I have all that gear ;)

BajaScott: What did you like better about the 4" off-road? better control? I do more pavement than dirt, and have 4" rancho coils now- they are a bit stiffer than what I'd like.

PolarCub: So I am only gonna get 4" from the deavers anyway? Also, you using the stock axle pivot mounts, or modified drop brackets?

what would be my best choice for a 4" coil? Not a fan of the ranchos i'm running now..

Thanks again everyone
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i like the rate of the 4" better.stiffer. i have bypass shocks tho. you shouldnt need to do any mods to the fender. but if you have the stock bumper still you might have to trim a little bit. i have 35's and 4" lift on my old bronco for a short time and i just trimmed the bumper for clearance...
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

4" coil and 35s fit fine, might need to trim the bumper a bit, but not a big deal.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Well my experience with either spring and 35s is that you will have to space the front bumper and possibly trim the ends. My (stock)bumper was spaced forward about an inch when I made the change and I ended up trimming the ends as it was to close for my comfort zone. Also the 35s tend to push into the back of the front fender at stuff this is one reason I went to glass but it took some hard its to get that. I can show you the rub marks on them haha
As far as height goes the deavers do sit slightly taller but not much maybe 1/2" new the 4" springs are definately a stiffer rate I prefer the deavers they really improved the ride quality. Everyone has their preferance though.
Jeremy
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

I have roughly 4" of lift and 35s on stock wheels with steel fenders and stock bumper. I recommend mounting the radius arm pivot boxes are far forward as possible to gain wheelbase and get the tire out of the fire wall.

Cycle the assembly and give yourself a 1/4" clearance where the beam passes the cross member. For me that gave me an inch of wheelbase and no firewall rubbage. The bumper was trimmed at the corner a cunt hair and isnt noticeable unless its pointed out.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

It's not hard to make a spacer for the 92-96 bumper, it's just a piece of 1/2 to 3/4 think strap with two holes drilled in it. That with the bumper moved as far upward as possible and slight corner trimming allowed me to fit 35" tires with a stock appearance. I also moved my pivots slightly forward for A/C box and stock fender clearance. I fit 35" tires at full bump without an issue.

Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Damn, I just looked on Craigslist and there was a guy selling 4" superlift coils for $30 for over a month but they are gone now.

As for 35's, I ran them on a stock rig (bumper spaced out about an inch) but wanting to add a tube front bumper, I figured I might as well put glass on (more clearance) and have bumper built to match fenders. As for 35's stock fendes, Tony ran that for a while and only hit under hard hits and even then, it wasn't a fender folding type of hit.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!