Shock length, wheel travel, and mounting location

RSR

Shock length, wheel travel, and mounting location

Post by RSR »

Here is a general info question which may be helpful for those considering different options for build front suspension. What is the expected wheel travel for the following shock lengths and mounting locations? I only know the first one.

10" stroke behind coil tower -- 16" of wheel travel
12" stroke behind coil tower -- ?
12" stroke in front of coil tower -- ?
14" stroke in front of coil tower -- ?
16" stroke in front of coil tower -- ?

Coil over lengths and mounting locations -- ?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Shock length, wheel travel, and mounting location

Post by SteveG »

RSR wrote:10" stroke behind coil tower -- 16" of wheel travel
Both are going to be about the same with a coil-bucket. The coil is the limiting factor.

With a coil-bucket, the only one that will not be limited by the coil would be the 12" shock in front of the coil. All others should be about the same.

12" coil-over mounted on top of the beam above the radius arm: Roughly 18" travel. Maybe a tad more?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Was going to start new thread, but my questions are right in line with this subject.
"Stroke" refers to the length of travel of the shaft in a shock right?
Wondering if a 12" SAW will have a long enough stroke to work given the front shock mounts on my 77 straight axle are 23" apart at ride height?
Seems like they might over extend when the axle droops and I actually plan to do a shock hoop that will raise my top mount a little higher?
Could a 12" shock be in the ballpark for me, ...or?
I know I need to cycle the susp to be sure, but throwing this out to see if I'm even close.
Thanks and Merry HoHo.
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
RSR

Post by RSR »

The collapsed length of the 12" SAW is about 19.75". With your existing shock mounts, this shock could only give you 3.25" to maybe 4.75" of up travel. Even less if mounted in front of the coil. Bump stops would have to be correctly set to keep from bottoming out shock.

Properly set up with 12" shock behind coil, you should have potential for about 14" of wheel travel...If the springs will let the axle move that much.

On an EB with stock height body mounts using stock bumps with shock hoop tucked as clost to top of inner fenderwell and using stock lower mounts, you can squeeze a 16" collapsed length shock in there. Debending on the brand that shock will stroke between 10" and 12". Anything you change will affect this. Longer bumps = longer collapsed length, etc. A rule of thumb is that a shock mounted behind the spring will allow about 2" more potential wheel travel than the shock stroke. A shock mounted in front of the spring will allow about 2" less potential wheel travel than shock stroke. With all this said, you still may be limited by the spring and other suspension parts hitting stuff. Cycle, cycle, cycle. Couple hours with a jack can save a long walk home :D
RSR

Post by RSR »

RSR wrote:Here is a general info question which may be helpful for those considering different options for build front suspension. What is the expected wheel travel for the following shock lengths and mounting locations? I only know the first one.

10" stroke behind coil tower -- 16" of wheel travel
12" stroke in front of coil tower -- ?
14" stroke in front of coil tower -- ?
16" stroke in front of coil tower -- ?

Coil over lengths and mounting locations -- ?
Anyone have answers to these questions?
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

12" Coilover mounted on top of the beam, and I measured out a tad over 16" with fully functioning 4wd. Could probably get another inch out of it...
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

RSR, based on what you are saying, your 10" shocks would be a better fit on my front axle?
How much uptravel would be available with them?
What is their collapsed length?

Too properly cycle a coil sprung straight axle is pulling out the shock enough or does the spring have to come out too?

Thanks,
Last edited by Broncodawg on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunit

Post by gunit »

tcm glx wrote:12" Coilover mounted on top of the beam, and I measured out a tad over 16" with fully functioning 4wd. Could probably get another inch out of it...
x2, This is the same for my Bronco
Copykat
Bronco Info: 1987 BroncoII 4x4

Post by Copykat »

I run a 12" travel shock behind the coil and a 14" travel infront of the coil. Good for about 16". Limited to coils.
1987 BroncoII 4x4
RSR

Post by RSR »

Broncodawg wrote:RSR, based on what you are saying, your 10" shocks would be a better fit on my front axle?
How much uptravel would be available with them?
What is their collapsed length?

Too properly cycle a coil sprung straight axle is pulling out the shock enough or does the spring have to come out too?

Thanks,
Unless you can chain the frame to the floor, you will have to take spring out to cycle.
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Unless you can chain the frame to the floor, you will have to take spring out to cycle.

Silly question.....DOOHH! thanks,