Coil spring sag?

bigJake
Bronco Info: 94 Bronco 4" lift and 33's

Coil spring sag?

Post by bigJake »

My truck has seen a lot of time off road and I noticed that the front of the truck seems to ride a little lower than it used to. There also is a little bit of negative camber at ride height. Is this common for springs that are beaten on regularly? Also can the camber be adjusted or should I look for some new springs?
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Coil spring sag?

Post by philofab »

bigJake wrote:My truck has seen a lot of time off road and I noticed that the front of the truck seems to ride a little lower than it used to. There also is a little bit of negative camber at ride height. Is this common for springs that are beaten on regularly? Also can the camber be adjusted or should I look for some new springs?
Pretty common. I get almost two years out of a pair of coil springs. Camber can be adjusted.... to a point.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
bigJake

Post by bigJake »

thanks Philo. I guess i will start looking for new springs
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I've got a pair of deaver coils for sale that aren't even really broken in if your interested.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
bigJake

Post by bigJake »

Would the deaver coils be too tall for my setup? (stock coil buckets)
hobbyturnedobsession

They worked in mine whatre you running?
bigJake

Post by bigJake »

I have a four inch drop bracket lift. I thought the deavers are 5.5".
hobbyturnedobsession

When I had my stock buckets I ran my beams off the lower hole for the 6" lift. It worked great for me. Plus they sit within an inch of a 4" coil. If I remember theyre a 300 at height to a 550 but I could be wrong. Someone want to give some input?
Conversekidz
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco Custom, 4" Dick Cepek Lift Kit, 33" Wrangler Duratrac

Post by Conversekidz »

I have gotten crazy sag on my deaver coils to the point where I am wondering if I had a bad set or just too hard on them (have less than 2000 miles on it, and the front keeps dropping). When I first installed them, I used the 6" hole and my tires where like this \--/ after about 500 miles my tires settled down to |--|. After a hard wheeling trip, my tires where cambered like crazy /--\ <it actually looked like that when looking at the front of the truck.

Dropped them down to the 4" hole, and i still have a slight /--\ on the front, going to have it aligned again (thank god for lifetime alignments) and see if i can get it corrected.

I have the matching rear leafs and I swear my rear is sitting a good 2" higher than the front.

Just my experience with the Deaver coils.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

I have had no greater settling with the deavers than i have had with any of the others, all coils will sag after lots of use. Some get more time out of them than others but its pretty common for them to need replacing after about a year of hard use. I get 2-3 years out of a set depending how much I am home and get out.

The deavers because they are softer sit very close to the +4 springs in fact with regards to where they sit with those they are about the same. They are a great spring IMO
Jeremy
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Good info, im going to give the deaver coils a shot when i get home. I have the Rancho 4" and they are pretty stiff. Do you think i shoud adjust my limit straps for allow for more droop, Jeremy?
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

RyanDS650X wrote:Good info, im going to give the deaver coils a shot when i get home. I have the Rancho 4" and they are pretty stiff. Do you think i shoud adjust my limit straps for allow for more droop, Jeremy?
The best way to decide that is to check where your at when you put the new ones in, if your springs are the limiting factor and everything cycles out then go for it just be sure to check for axleshaft bind at full droop. Likely your shock length will be the limiting factor so I suspect you wont need to make strap changes with swapping springs.
Jeremy