For those about to stretch...Ideal wheelbase?

KBL
Bronco Info: Working on a '73 F-100 with a TTB conversion

For those about to stretch...Ideal wheelbase?

Post by KBL »

Since I don't have a Bronco yet, I've got plenty of time to scheme and dream about what makes a perfect go-fast Bronco.

I know the Dirt Sports Retro Bronco is 114 inches.

I also know that my 4Runner is 110 inches and feels fairly stable at speed, while remaining agile when the route is tight and twisty. It runs out of rear travel pretty quickly, though.

I believe '91-'01 Explorers are also 110 inches.

My '92 Ranger (project on life support--the one in my avatar) is 125 inches, and many TT's are about that same wheelbase.

So, what's an ideal wheelbase to stretch to, and why?
www.off-roadweb.com
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: For those about to stretch...how far?

Post by PaulW »

Typically length is determined by having the shortest possible WB and still allow the suspension work without binding. Reason weight and body rework.
For minimum length decide by mocking up the suspension with some way to put in variable length links. Or you can do it with cad and proper software. Most pros do it one of these two ways. Anyway with a C6/CO/4 link 114 is the sweet spot. With an E4OD it comes out 120". Mine (the latter) still had to have the transfer dropped 1" and the rad shroud raised.

I have not paid attention to the Dirt sport, but I bet it has a C6 for such a short WB.
Other options would be an Atlas transfer, which is shorter.

The thing to remember is the whoops are made by Trophy trucks and most all are 122+/-WB. Probably that would be a good choice. Of course shorter will weigh less & have less travel. Its all a comprimise.

BTW, the fast C3 jeep with links and CO and solid front axle has 103.4" WB. Light and fast with low hp. Rules allow +/- 2" so that Jeep could be 105. It has limited travel like any setup built that way. Much more travel is possible with a stretched TTB Bronco

110" with the suspension setup properly would be a good comprimise if binding vs travel are comprimised (like the Jeep).
Paul
Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Post by Dezertbronco »

Check out the C3 Skilton ATK Jeep, it is short and hauls the mail, Its all in how you set it up.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Dezertbronco wrote:Check out the C3 Skilton ATK Jeep, it is short and hauls the mail, Its all in how you set it up.
===
My comments about yhe Jeep above are for the ATK Jeep.
PW
Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Post by Dezertbronco »

Its a Beautiful Racecar...
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

my plan for stretching the wheelbase on my bronco was for two reasons
1) more room for cargo.
2) more stability .
on few recent trips in it,i had problems with it wanting to over turn on higher speed corners and because of this i ran in 4wd 90%of the time. i know wheel travel numbers is not all about numbers,and i believe as long as it is controled 15" will out perform 20"of uncontroled travel. the main goal was safety,comfort,more control.
the differnce between our deserts here in oregon are like, the difference between plaster city west and the desert south of I-8 .
but i am having reservations about stretching mine now. i have the knowledge and capabilities to do it,but after not driving it ,having to have it for course notes and researching future races here ,having all this stuff sitting there waiting to be used,and just being tired of looking at it, it seems silly to go through all the work knowing it does well as is,
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
KBL

Re: For those about to stretch...Ideal wheelbase?

Post by KBL »

I'm sure the Dirt Sports Bronco has a C-6, as it's an '82 with an updated front clip.

It also looks like you could buy some more rear bump travel simply by notching the frame and tubbing the wheelwells--no stretching involved.

Yeah, that ATK Wrangler is awesome.

One other Bronco I'm wondering about is the Sandman Bronco built by JD Fabrication in Escondido. Dave did the stretching by pushing the beams forward and moving the axle rearward, but he didn't stretch the body. Instead, the wheelwell was the only thing that moved. The photos on the website don't show the Bronco with any new fiberglass. It's been a while, so I'm sure the 'glass is done and the website just needs an update.
www.off-roadweb.com
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

All this crazy talk about stretching! Buy a four door, LOL.

Though I think 142" wheel base is way too long. But I'm still digging my Magnum Bronco.

Chris
KBL

Post by KBL »

142 inches...too much of a good thing!

Cool truck, though.
www.off-roadweb.com
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

The stretches I've seen range from 12-18" or so. When I was briefly looknig at this I was going to grab F-150 bedsides and use that as somewhat of a basis. If I remember right that put the stretch at like 14".

KBL wrote:One other Bronco I'm wondering about is the Sandman Bronco built by JD Fabrication in Escondido. Dave did the stretching by pushing the beams forward and moving the axle rearward, but he didn't stretch the body. Instead, the wheelwell was the only thing that moved. The photos on the website don't show the Bronco with any new fiberglass. It's been a while, so I'm sure the 'glass is done and the website just needs an update.
Partybarge (BDKW1) is or was room mates with the JD owner if I remember right. He usually has insight on their projects and some pics. Maybe he will chime in on the above bronco...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Jbfab
Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.

Post by Jbfab »

Ill take 142" to go lol. Image
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

155" is where it's at. Unless you want to turn or park the thing.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

PaulW wrote:T
BTW, the fast C3 jeep with links and CO and solid front axle has 103.4" WB. Light and fast with low hp. Rules allow +/- 2" so that Jeep could be 105. It has limited travel like any setup built that way. Much more travel is possible with a stretched TTB Bronco

Paul
ATK JEEP:
12" front
16" rear
SHORT RR driveshaft, 4" plunge
AWD
6 cylinder ATK off the shelf motor

I did the CAD modeling on the link set up and set up the shocks...it is one of the most fun race cars I have been in.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

KBL wrote:One other Bronco I'm wondering about is the Sandman Bronco built by JD Fabrication in Escondido. Dave did the stretching by pushing the beams forward and moving the axle rearward, but he didn't stretch the body. Instead, the wheelwell was the only thing that moved. The photos on the website don't show the Bronco with any new fiberglass. It's been a while, so I'm sure the 'glass is done and the website just needs an update.
Not sure what the final WB measurement came out to be. Front is about 1-1/2" forward. Would have gone a little more but the front end was all ready done when he bought it. Rear is back like 3-4". I'll measure it tomorrow when I go get the rest of My crap out of it from Baja........

Works well, the down side is how tight the packaging is on the rear of it. You need to jack it up pretty high the fill the diff as it's so close to the fuel cell. Also the cell is right up against the rear cross member which was moved back a little also. Upside is the departure angle is outstanding! It would still be nice to have a stretched cab though, it's not exactly roomy in that thing........
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

As I thought, it's 110.5". The front is 1.5" forward and the rear is 4" back.
KBL

Post by KBL »

Sounds like a 110-inch wheelbase with a stretched cab would be a great way to go.
www.off-roadweb.com
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

isnt the stock bronco 108?????????
or was it 106?
KBL

Post by KBL »

I wanna say it's 105.
www.off-roadweb.com
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

My take with the experience behind me:

Stretch a FSB
Confirmed Stock WB=104.7”
Move the front TTB suspension fwd to allow 12.5x17 tires, big brakes & AC - 2”should work. Make the track +4/side
Since the end result could only race in the TT class keep all the human comforts like A/C, Sat radio, etc. Be happy with a super prerunner.
Extend the thing at the rear from the back seat aft for the shortest amount to achieve full travel 18” or greater. Adjust the power train angle accordingly to avoid UJ bind
Use a 4 link and CO rear setup and a plate FF9”
With an E4OD the WB would come out ~124” (2” longer than mine)
With a C6 it would come out ~118” (I forget how much shorter a C6 is compared to an E4OD, adjust accordingly). Forget about trying for a shorter WB as the compromise is way to much.
Extend the top in the middle of the window and use flat tempered glass. Do not follow my example of curved laminated glass. (Big dollar mistake).
I agree that the stock dash has to go.
I recommend using a C6 since I hardly ever use OD in my rig.
What ever - forget about changing the wiring. Just keep it stock and avoid the hassle and cost of changes.
Paul
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Awesome advice! Your bronco is still one of my favorites out there...

Do you know if an F150 bedside would work on your stretch should you ever decide to run glass fenders?

PaulW wrote:My take with the experience behind me:

Stretch a FSB
Confirmed Stock WB=104.7”
Move the front TTB suspension fwd to allow 12.5x17 tires, big brakes & AC - 2”should work. Make the track +4/side
Since the end result could only race in the TT class keep all the human comforts like A/C, Sat radio, etc. Be happy with a super prerunner.
Extend the thing at the rear from the back seat aft for the shortest amount to achieve full travel 18” or greater. Adjust the power train angle accordingly to avoid UJ bind
Use a 4 link and CO rear setup and a plate FF9”
With an E4OD the WB would come out ~124” (2” longer than mine)
With a C6 it would come out ~118” (I forget how much shorter a C6 is compared to an E4OD, adjust accordingly). Forget about trying for a shorter WB as the compromise is way to much.
Extend the top in the middle of the window and use flat tempered glass. Do not follow my example of curved laminated glass. (Big dollar mistake).
I agree that the stock dash has to go.
I recommend using a C6 since I hardly ever use OD in my rig.
What ever - forget about changing the wiring. Just keep it stock and avoid the hassle and cost of changes.
Paul