Beginning shock valving point.

Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Beginning shock valving point.

Post by Phoenix0783 »

I got a used set of King 12x2.5 remote reservoir smoothies that have .008" valving on the compression side and .010" on the rebound side. I'm thinking this is a little soft, especially on the compression. Any recommendations? These are front shock and it's mostly a daily driver, though I wouldn't have a problem with changing the valving for a weekend of playing.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Beginning shock valving point.

Post by SteveG »

Where are they mounted? In front of or behind the coil-bucket? What is the front end doing or not doing? What are you trying to change?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Phoenix0783

Post by Phoenix0783 »

They'll be behind, but attached to the radius arm. I have rs5000's on there now...
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

I have 14" kings in front of the beam with .012 Rebound and compression and deaver coils works very well behind the beam I am thinking your going to want to go a bit more on compression???? I suggest you start with what you have in there and go from there it will give you a better idea of what you want/need for your setup
Jeremy
convoy

Post by convoy »

I ran 0.010 on comp and 0.008 reb with the camburg buckets and 5" deaver coils on my DD. I then ran about 220psi. I had a decent ride with those on the street.
Phoenix0783

Post by Phoenix0783 »

Does running more pressure in the reservoir stiffen the shock? To me it would seem that it wouldn't have an effect past the 150psi that is recommended.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I would swap the compression and rebound valving and adjust from there. It'll probably be a little soft on compression and maybe a little fast on rebound but it's a starting point.

You'll also need to valve the rear to compliment the front.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Phoenix0783 wrote:Does running more pressure in the reservoir stiffen the shock? To me it would seem that it wouldn't have an effect past the 150psi that is recommended.
Stiffens compression and increases rebound due to the displacement of the shaft.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Phoenix0783 wrote:Does running more pressure in the reservoir stiffen the shock? To me it would seem that it wouldn't have an effect past the 150psi that is recommended.
As philo already stated yes the N2 pressure will have an affect in my front setup I have found that 225psi is perfect I started at 150, in the rear I am only running 100psi right now. We have played with our N2 pressure in the 9 car and tweaked it to fine tune as well. I knew of a class 1 car that was running 400psi I have been told that most shocks will handle much greater pressure than that as well. What I ma unsure of is adverse affects on the shocks due to high or low pressure. The N2 keeps the shocks moisture free and will also raise the affect the boiling point of the oil as well. What i have seen is that most people will play with the N2 pressure to make minor adjustments to the shocks to make those small adjustments. That is how I ended up with 225 in my fronts. I wanted just a bit more stiffness but not much. One could achieve the same with revlaving but changing the N2 pressure is often less of a headache if things are almost there.
Jeremy
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

I run about 300 psi in the race truck. I run alot of valving and it keeps the floater piston in resi from blowing back as much in hard impacts.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Increased gas pressure increases rod force, nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with valving unless you are not running enough pressure for the valve stack you are running and your shock is cavitating.

Increasing gas pressure is a a good cheat for lack of spring combinations or preloadability.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com