Extending steering when adding wider beams

TrevorPiggott
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...

Extending steering when adding wider beams

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Right now i am having some work done to a set of beams and part of that work is extending the beams three inches. So now that the beams will be three inches wider per side, what is the best way to go about extending the steering?
Thanks ahead of time
Trevor
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Extending steering when adding wider beams

Post by SteveG »

I think the best way would be to sleeve and extend the left inner tie rod and the drag link. I don't know that I've ever seen it done this way, though. I see tons of extended adjusting sleeves.

Stock steering just isn't ideal with widened housings.

Make sure travel is limited to prevent steering bind. It gets really bad with too much travel.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i second what steve said, i have done both ways and the sleeves are weaker. i have broke them before on another bronco i had years ago.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

I extended and sleeved the inner tie rod. I'm not a fan of sleeving the clamp. There isn't as much strength in it and stresses are applied as it's tightened/loosened that can lead to cracking. Picture isn't good, but you should get the idea....just like the axles.