E4OD & long Radius arms

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

E4OD & long Radius arms

Post by PaulW »

Heads up
Turns out the rear attach at the frame is not at the frame cross menber like it is for a C6.
My frame had twisted almost 2". The frame had no cracks as Glen used the porta power to put the frame back in place. Then he added a proper bolted in place crossmember. It has a curve to miss the transfer and allow the tranny pan to be removed without removing the new member.
Easy to overlook since all Glen's race truck builds used the C6.
Another way might be to make the arm longer to attach at the Ford crossmember?
Paul
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: E4OD & long Radius arms

Post by SteveG »

This is a common issue with the E4OD trucks. Maybe the AOD as well?

Autofab bushing radius arms come with parts to build a cross member between the pivot brackets.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 9&start=20

Sho nuff,
SteveG
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Thanks Steve. I am absent a lot and did not see that thread.
I suppose the Autofab item would only work with their RAs? Not a big deal to make one from scratch.
Another example of Autofab having the good stuff to allow the diy guys to have a succesful build.
Paul
PS actually my front system was built by Spirit - not Glen.
PW
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

That's the reason my arms are so long on my crew cab. I just measured to the cross member. It made them like 54" or so long. I have noticed no ill effects from such long arms.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:I suppose the Autofab item would only work with their RAs?
Yeah, the plates are specific to their pivot brackets.

Rather than go under the trans, you could maybe build a K-shaped cross member that bolts to the trans cross member then extends forward to the pivot brackets and straddling the trans pan.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

SteveG wrote:This is a common issue with the E4OD trucks. Maybe the AOD as well?

Autofab bushing radius arms come with parts to build a cross member between the pivot brackets.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 9&start=20

This only works with the bushing ra's?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Would this also be a problem with heimed radius arms? I know that my travel stops before I run out of movement in the heim.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Would this also be a problem with heimed radius arms? I know that my travel stops before I run out of movement in the heim.
===
Yes in fact my Hiem was all the way to its limit. Problem is lack of lateral positioning that a cross member provides. Locate the cross member at the pivot bracket then the required stiffness is provided.
Bottom line: If you have an E4OD you have to have a crossmember at the pivot bracket. If it is curved like the Autofab or like mine then it has to be very stout. Preferable to have it removable with stout bolts.
Paul
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Thanks for the info Paul I have been considering building new arms and a new trans crossmember that are integrated with the thought of adding 2 link mounts as well now I know this is more of a priority. Good info for all.
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

Thank you very much Paul I'll have to learn how to bend tube now. I appreciate the info very important.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Nick wrote:This only works with the bushing ra's?
Yup. E4OD trucks require a custom cross member.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Would this also be a problem with heimed radius arms? I know that my travel stops before I run out of movement in the heim.
I'd say heim joint arms are more problematic since the heims have no "give" to them.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:I'd say heim joint arms are more problematic since the heims have no "give" to them.
X2 on this. The only positive of a Heim is it lasts longer even if everything else doesn't.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
kahuna bill
Bronco Info: auto fab lift, 90 body on 91 frame, e40d, performer heads,jba headers, K&N intake

Post by kahuna bill »

PaulW wrote:
===
Yes in fact my Hiem was all the way to its limit. Problem is lack of lateral positioning that a cross member provides. Locate the cross member at the pivot bracket then the required stiffness is provided.
Bottom line: If you have an E4OD you have to have a crossmember at the pivot bracket. If it is curved like the Autofab or like mine then it has to be very stout. Preferable to have it removable with stout bolts.
Paul
just wanted give a heads up on a few things concerning that cross member and johns radius arms... the bent cross member was bent to fit with the e4od that i have. john gave me, with the front suspension kit, a straight 1 1/2" x .120 wall (i think .120 wall, not positive) of tubing, non DOM. I replaced it with a DOM 1 1/2" x .095 wall and made the bends to fit over the pan. i told john that his straight tube didn't fit and he assumed that i had a deep pan and never looked under my truck. I didn't know what i had at the time... but anyways, i've only seen a deep pan for the e4od on the net and never under a bronco... i'm pretty sure i have a stock pan and that his set up with the straight tube was ment for the AOD... which is fine, u just gotta do some bending.
anyways, just wanted to let ya know that if u have the e4od and you want to get john's radius arms and cross member brackets you're going to need to bend some tube. and one more thing is that i placed the cross member too far forward on the plate and my shift linkage hits it. 1 1/2" diameter is as large as one could go and it needs to be placed low and to the back of the plate to allow clearance. i cycled my suspension but not my shift linkage! :roll: i was dumb.
hope this helps. and i'm running the bushing ra's BTW
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Crossmember installed:
1.5" dia . Forgot to ask Glen what wall thickness. Fits above the tranny skid and backs up to the transfer skid.
IMG_1442 (Small).JPG
IMG_1442 (Small).JPG (48.91 KiB) Viewed 887 times
IMG_1444 (Small).JPG
IMG_1444 (Small).JPG (37.76 KiB) Viewed 887 times
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I like it, Paul. That's similar to what I was thinking.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

I figured this would work.

hobbyturnedobsession

Thats a really good idea. Is it welded up or bolted up? If it was welded up then isn't it a little difficult changing the trans filter?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Looks to be bolted up. You can see a bolt in the stock front cross member above the driver side beam. Then the radius arm mounts themselves are bolted to the frame.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

mkiefer wrote:I figured this would work.
I like that, too! Pete Albano built a similar brace for his Ranger which uses axle-pivot drop brackets... helps the radius arm mounts and the rear axle pivot bracket.
Attachments
PeteRadiusArmBrace.jpg
PeteRadiusArmBrace.jpg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 870 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG