Start Your Go-Fast Build-Rear Suspension

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: Start Your Go-Fast Build-Rear Suspension

Post by Wrightracing.net »

VintageIronFab wrote:DW - take a look at them pretty nice pieces for the money those links are
Ya, if I do, I will do it myself. Kind of why I have the tig welder and tubing bender.
Wrightracing.net wrote:
VintageIronFab wrote:David I'm guessing you got the Ruff Stuff email with their new links??
No, I have not seen it.

Thanks Chris.
Ya, I knew that it would be along the same as the drive line, I was not sure if it was common to run them much longer. Thanks for the info.

I am not sure if I will link mine, but when I break the leafs, it maybe time.

David...

David...
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Ok so I'm contemplating linking my bronco once my springs are toast. Can anyone enlighten me on any cons of reversing the triangulation of the upper links, i.e. the links are wide on axle and centered on frame x-member.

Don's manzini set up is like this and many short course truck.

The main reason I'm looking to go this roughy it I have about 1.5-2" of clearance between the top of my diff and the floor. I'd have to loose 2-3" of bump travel or redo my bench mounts etc in the back.

Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Many con's to that and not many pro's.

1, your shock mounts just got that much higher into the cab.
2. loss of ground clearance unless you mount the triangulated links off to the side of the diff which means they have a very shallow angle=lots of load.
3, the new upper link mount on the axle will need to need to be kind of tall to keep the loads down on the links, this puts them into the frame on articulation.

Savage built a class 7 Nissan for Mears way back when that had a 4 link like your are thinking of. That design did not get repeated........

DD links would work much better..........
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Daily driver link set up from giant.

No top links.
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

I thought about the DD link I am a big fan of the design but I'm not sure the panard bar will fit between the tank and my rearend as its already pushed back.

I was thinking of the possibility, bear with me this is a crazy idea.

Set the rear end back 10" with DD link than run 2 saddle tanks in front of the axle. This would be great for wheelbase but not sure how the weight bias would be effected and if have to get real creative with rear glass.

cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

Like the sandman bronco but a few inches farther if the fuel cells are in front of the axle.

Brian, do you know the dimensions of sandmans fuelcell? He pushed his wheelbase to 110" right?

cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Rear 4 or 5 back. Cell is the 42G one that Racer-X was selling for a while.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

For the glass, use truck bedsides and chop them off where the tail lights start. There will be a gap, fill gap with steel mash like Mark Newhans front fender on the Ramcharger........ Vary group B..........

Saddle tanks would work fine, but you will need baffles in a tank that long. Nothing like running out of fuel going down a steep hill when you have half a tank. Rode in a 4 seat pre-runner buggy like that, had the fuel cell in the center console the whole length of the cab......
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Does anyone have recommendations of where to locate the rear limit straps with an 8.8 and under the bed shocks?

rdcjuanb
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco parked in garage. Long term project.

Post by rdcjuanb »

[quote="Tchajagos"]Does anyone have recommendations of where to locate the rear limit straps with an 8.8 and under the bed shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote
Mine has a tab off the spring plate and the frame.
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

Has anyone run Deaver Baja bushings? They seem like relatively small investment. I'm cycling 22" with my 64s and thinking freeing them up may not only feel better performance wise but also provide a little more longevity for doing life.

What are you guys thought?

BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

They are too small, will wear out very fast. OK on race truck if your swapping them out every race.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Also, Deaver has discontinued selling them. When I called about a set, they said they didn't sell enough of them.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Little Mac #2 had custom 300M leafs with 1" uniballs in the ends. Those lasted a while. Not cheap though.........
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

That's what got me thinking about it. My buddy used to co-drive with Doug back when he had it. Got a few of the extra sets and was running them on his Toyota 7s build. He just got rid of them though. Those were some badass springs uniballs, billet front eye I was just starting to help out when Doug sold Little Mac so I don't recall how often they changed them out. He did have several sets of spares though. Love that over engineered little truck....Image Stoked to here it's out there racing again!

BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

cs_drums wrote:Stoked to here it's out there racing again!
Unfortunately, it's not. Doug's (#2) was burnt up in the 07 fires. That one is Little Mac #1, #3 is still out there also.
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

Didn't know that! What a bummer.

convoy

Post by convoy »

Did anyone say Little Mac #3. My sister in law's brother (Eric T.) owned it for many many years now after buying from Eric Harden and raced it previously in MDR and MORE. After racing it over the years he decided to paint it black for a few more year of racing. It sadly went into Eric's garage into many pieces for a complete overhaul with the ideology of racing it once again though that day never happened. It spend a good portion of the remaining years in his garage dismantled into boxes of wiring, shock, engines parts, etc. stacked up the ceiling collecting dust. After coming to the realization it was time to sell he mustered up the energy to itemize the list of parts and the entire truck for a potential buyer. Well the day finally came and it was recently sold to the new buyer at the end of last year (2015). This individual knew a great deal of the history and wanted to return it back to its glory to race once again.

Here it is before he painted it.

After Paint

Here is an old photo of the original Little Mac.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

A few questions popped into my head tonight while considering econline swaps or a wider fabbed fabbed housing builds. "What would be the result of offsetting the spring perches, hangers, and shackles wider? Could they be offset enough to run the outboard shocks under the bed?"

For reference for those who are stock width; both the "stretched bronco" and "the morning dump" have econoline width axles with pulled stock fenders.