Start Your Go-Fast Build-Rear Suspension

Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Re: Start Your Go-Fast Build-Rear Suspension

Post by Nick »

ChaseTruck754 wrote: That crack is a good example of why design & execution/fab qaulity come in to play so much on this stuff. That crack is exactly at the weld line in the HAZ on the frame.
$800 makes sense now, don't it? For those of us that don't have fab equipment, or easy access to it, you have to pay. You are not just paying for the part, in Autofabs case, you are also paying for the design/development time. How can you put a price on that? To be able to get a part that you can bolt on, and know that it will work the way it's supposed to, is worth it to me.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

It only takes a couple thousand dollars worth of equipment to make that part....
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'm guess I'm lucky I have tools & skills then...

Oh wait - it was my hard work & learning that got me those - not luck ;)
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

If you have the time, space, equipment and know-how, you can save a lot of money.

Or, if you can swing the coin and buy all the right parts, you can bolt on a bunch of parts and build a killer prerunner in a single weekend.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I definitely do not have the space, tools, or skills to do it myself. I wish i did, but it's not in the cards right now.

But i am ok with paying those who do to help me out :)
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I'm guess I'm lucky I have tools & skills then...

Wtf??? no one ever said otherwise about you. For the rest of us poor saps, i guess it's our hard work that allows us to pay for that stuff.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Nick wrote:

Wtf??? no one ever said otherwise about you. For the rest of us poor saps, i guess it's our hard work that allows us to pay for that stuff.
ha ha ha ain't that the truth Nick. Writing checks to get sh-t done is not always fun but sometimes the work gets done a little faster then doing it yourself.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Nick wrote:

I didn't say anybody did say otherwise. I'm just saying I'm a CHEAP ass and it was cheaper for me to do stuff myself. I've learned a LOT over the years doing so. I'm still a cheap ass and have NO WHERE near what most people do invested in my tools. It took a lot of time, patience, classifieds scrounging and trading, etc. to compile my shop. But in the end it's way cheaper than paying someone else to build my truck. Plus I can make something with my tools to sell if $$ ever gets really tight.

I guess what I'm saying is because I can do the stuff myself it often blows me away what people charge for certain parts. Then again I do sometimes forget how many hours go into putting some of this stuff together. While it may look simple - often it still takes time.

Which leads me to...
BajaBronco13 wrote:ha ha ha ain't that the truth Nick. Writing checks to get sh-t done is not always fun but sometimes the work gets done a little faster then doing it yourself.
A little bit???? Even with most slacker type fabricators who never answer their phone or finish a job in the timeline they promise you're getting stuff done faster by going to them. Then again they do it all day for work. Guys like me do it on the occasion night or weekend which ends up taking 15 or so years - haha
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Nick wrote:

I didn't say anybody did say otherwise. I'm just saying I'm a CHEAP ass and it was cheaper for me to do stuff myself. I've learned a LOT over the years doing so. I'm still a cheap ass and have NO WHERE near what most people do invested in my tools. It took a lot of time, patience, classifieds scrounging and trading, etc. to compile my shop. But in the end it's way cheaper than paying someone else to build my truck. Plus I can make something with my tools to sell if $$ ever gets really tight.

I guess what I'm saying is because I can do the stuff myself it often blows me away what people charge for certain parts. Then again I do sometimes forget how many hours go into putting some of this stuff together. While it may look simple - often it still takes time.

Which leads me to...
BajaBronco13 wrote:ha ha ha ain't that the truth Nick. Writing checks to get sh-t done is not always fun but sometimes the work gets done a little faster then doing it yourself.
A little bit???? Even with most slacker type fabricators who never answer their phone or finish a job in the timeline they promise you're getting stuff done faster by going to them. Then again they do it all day for work. Guys like me do it on the occasion night or weekend which ends up taking 15 or so years - haha
Fair enough. But remember, not all of us are at the same place in life. Some have a wife and kids, some don't. This is kind of like all the stupid arguements that we have seen on fsb and elsewhere, the whole bought vs built debate. Some people can build, some can't. Feel fortunate that you have the tools/knowhow, but for pete's sakes, don't make those of us that don't feel like shit! That's not what this place is all about!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad at all. Just surprised by the numbers thrown out for parts is all.

And yes - people are in different stages in life, but I always push people to try and build yourself if at all possible. I LOVE fabricating and would think that other guys that do these truck would too. Not only is there an awesome sens of accomplishment in saying "yeah - I built that" - it's actually a really fun process too. Well, when things cooperate it is :lol:

As for the buy vs. build debate on other forums - never seen in anywhere. And there's no way I'm living under a rock forum wise as I'm really active on at least 6-8.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

...AND IN THE MORNING, I'M MAKIN' WAFFLES!!
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

When I own my Stewart Works Stretch Bronco, I'm going to point to it and say, "Yeah I paid for that in CASH!" LOL. Okay you're right I wish I could build my own sh-t. :) And I doubt I'll ever be able to purchase a Stewart Works ride but I can dream if I want.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

BajaBronco13 wrote:When I own my Stewart Works Stretch Bronco, I'm going to point to it and say, "Yeah I paid for that in CASH!" LOL. Okay you're right I wish I could build my own sh-t. :) And I doubt I'll ever be able to purchase a Stewart Works ride but I can dream if I want.

Hahaha, in dollar bills!!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad at all. Just surprised by the numbers thrown out for parts is all.

And yes - people are in different stages in life, but I always push people to try and build yourself if at all possible. I LOVE fabricating and would think that other guys that do these truck would too. Not only is there an awesome sens of accomplishment in saying "yeah - I built that" - it's actually a really fun process too. Well, when things cooperate it is :lol:

As for the buy vs. build debate on other forums - never seen in anywhere. And there's no way I'm living under a rock forum wise as I'm really active on at least 6-8.

Some folks would rather write a check for some stuff (yes, thats me.....)
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

yikes wrote:...AND IN THE MORNING, I'M MAKIN' WAFFLES!!
I made you Ham and Eggs.... and they were good!!
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

I know a guy who does the rear upper mounts for around $400 or $500 (I dont remember) but they hold up well and are in a few Broncos on here. He's not an advertiser so if you want contact info PM me.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Silverslk wrote:He's not an advertiser so if you want contact info PM me.
There seems to be some confusion over this. Non-advertising businesses are welcome to sell on GFB. The Classifieds section is open to everyone.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

You know after buying all the tools and materials you don't really save anything if your only building one or two trucks.

I have bought parts for my truck just because it wasn't worth it to make them myself.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:You know after buying all the tools and materials you don't really save anything if your only building one or two trucks.

I have bought parts for my truck just because it wasn't worth it to make them myself.
And a place to keep all the stuff....

I do the same, Philo. It's stuff I could handle but it's waaaay faster to buy.

It's nothing more than different strokes for different strokes. One man busts his ass in the shop, the other busts his ass at work and spends his spare time with his family. As long as the end result is getting to have fun in the dirt, who gives a $*%# how we got there?

Now quit being a bunch of women and let this thread get back to REAR SUSPENSION!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

Gotta say that I highly doubt that Spirit is charging $1800 for a shock mount.