Bronco Brake upgrade options

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Bronco Brake upgrade options

Post by PaulW »

Lots of research to share

- Good pads is the starting place. IMO - Not good enough. NAPA Cermec and even better, Hawk Super Duty
- Good rotors Drilled & slotted are probably the best. Made by Raybestos
- Vac Booster/master off an F350 Should fit and provide more boost
- HydroBoost works great if one has room for the master and the HB module. Go to http://classicbroncos.com and http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/ for many DIY threads on how to do.
- All HB installs require the Saginaw pump install which can be found on the same links and will vary based on the year and which engine you have. Never use a Ford pump.
*2 PS pumps are highly desirable so one can have steering and brakes at the same time. I never found a satisfactory way to deal with 2 PS pumps for my Bronco.
* For length restrictions the use a 2001 Silverado 2500 HD master which is much shorter (but taller) than any I have found. Details: Installed length on HB unit: 6.75"Installed length on MC: 6.5" Total: 13.25" line adapters are required to go from Chevy to ford threads.
* If the master and HB module will not fit then put the HB module on the drivers side of the firewall. Pretty costly and lots of fab required. Probably for racers use only?
* Buy a kit from Hydratech Braking Systems at
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-325 ... ystem.html
Master and pump not included.
- The electric boost system sold by ABS Power Brake. It uses a custom master and a remote mounted electric motor/pump/res. Solves my packaging problem and it has the similar performance as a Chevy based HB. Specs: pump on at 1800psi and pump off at 2400psi. The small reservoir is good for multiple stops.
Cost is $950, only a slight increase compared to an all-new HB setup. Huge increase in cost for a DIY install compared to a junkyard take off. http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ehpm.html
For more info no the electric system search the Mustang road racer forums.
The install on this system requires a 1.5” spacer between the master and the firewall because of the pushrod and pedal geometry issue. Also requires plugging the holes used by the Vac booster. More later in this install

Paul
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: Bronco Brake upgrade options

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Anything different on the f350 brake booster setup? Any fabbing of any kind?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Anything different on the f350 brake booster setup? Any fabbing of any kind?
===========
F350 Vac booster. The vac booster would be off a pre 99 diesel and most guys with those trucks have terrible brakes and they convert to Hydroboost using Hydratech or Astro. (HB). I would never suggest such a conversion to a Bronco.
HB:
I wouldnt bother with F350 stuff. For a diy go to the JY and get a Chevy Astro system. Get a bracket and Sag pump & pulley off a 90s E150 and make or rig up the lines. Exchange the pump for a reman Cardone Sag at the auto parts place. Get a new Corvette master. The cost of all this is probably less than $250. And you will have a great system, but it woint turn and brake at the same time. Been there. done that, and I still have a single pump setup on my 72 EB.
Paul
Blueblood

Post by Blueblood »

great info thanks paul
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

I'm interested in trying to fill up my 17" wheels with more rotor and better calipers but nobody makes anything TTB d44 specific / bolt on as far as I know.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 3&start=20 Gunit's Wilwood setup is about the closest I've seen so far, but requires custom rotor adapters and super spendy chrome moly knuckles/spindle mounts with custom caliper mounting. I bet that makes for some awesome brakes!
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

monkei wrote:I'm interested in trying to fill up my 17" wheels with more rotor and better calipers but nobody makes anything TTB d44 specific / bolt on as far as I know.
=====
Custom rotors and caliper brackets are required. Talk to any fab shop or get one of the member guys to fix you up. I have custom rotors in my rear and Glen just made a phone call to get them. I bet the fronts work the same way.
Paul
PS, I should say bigger is better just like coolers. Ha. PW
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

You don't have to have an aftermarket knuckle to put aftermarket calipers on. You can cut the factory mounts off of the knuckle and weld a bracket to the spindle itself. I remember seeing pics on Race-Dezert years ago but I don't remember the poster or thread.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

philofab wrote:You don't have to have an aftermarket knuckle to put aftermarket calipers on. You can cut the factory mounts off of the knuckle and weld a bracket to the spindle itself. I remember seeing pics on Race-Dezert years ago but I don't remember the poster or thread.
from: http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showth ... ot-Spacing
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

I believe the guy had problems with the brackets attached to the knuckle itself. He them moved it to the spindle. IMHO, I would rather weld to the steel spindle than the cast knuckle.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

philofab wrote:IMHO, I would rather weld to the steel spindle than the cast knuckle.
Me too.

This is the 1st I've seen of this but I have been contemplating how to go about it as I am currently considering making my own beams for the Supercab using the d44 beam ends but using a corp 14 snout, hub and 8 lug rotor.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
philofab wrote:IMHO, I would rather weld to the steel spindle than the cast knuckle.
Me too.

This is the 1st I've seen of this but I have been contemplating how to go about it as I am currently considering making my own beams for the Supercab using the d44 beam ends but using a corp 14 snout, hub and 8 lug rotor.
If I get those beams from SteveG I have a pair of D44HD beam ends that have bigger brakes and are 8 lug already.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Keep me posted. I may be up for the beam ends even if I don't use the snouts.

The reason I was going with the corp 14 snout and hub was I'm trying to keep the same snout, hub, rotor, and caliper on all 4 corners of the truck. I may have to use the "A" vs. "B" hubs on the front end to get the scrub a bit better but who knows.
monkei

Post by monkei »

Wow, I'm lovin' that Cpt_Radical's Wilwood setup. Any of you guys on RD know what size wheel he's running?

Wilwood has 12.19 x 1.38 hat mount rotors @ $88 a pc, I wonder if that's what he's usin'. Couldn't find any hats listed for 5x5.5 on their site though, wonder if he had some custom ordered?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Be sure to check speedway engineering, stock car products, etc. for other hat and rotor combos. They are mainly 5x5 stuff since they are roundy round suppliers, but they do have 5x5.5 stuff.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

monkei

Post by monkei »

I like the rotors from the newer (07ish) dodge trucks. 13.23 dia. 1.1 thick with a 3.09 hole. They should clear a 17 inch wheel no problem
Hmmm, I love the idea of using a ~13" newer Dodge rotor, wonder which caliper would be the best choice to use with these:
The rotors are only 1.04" thick so most any caliper will work. I'm kinda cheap so I just use whatever dual piston calipers I can find at the pick and pull. Wilwood calipers or any of the aftermarket aluminum GM D52 style calipers would work as well
Get some Toyota Tundra 4 Piston Calipers - great brakes and cheap!
The Mustang Cobra calipers are good too... made by PBR and cheap on eBay. They use a bolt on style bracket that is easy to adapt
Slablocal

Post by Slablocal »

I recently finished installing a second P/S pump on the MHF150 I'm building, it is a tight fit, with some tricky routing of the belt and locations of idler pulleys, and some P.I.T.A. brackets. One for P/S, and one for the hydroboost I installed...

The F150 rolls on 15" TT rotors on some custom made billet aluminum brake hats that sandwich between the D44 front hub assembly and the wheel. Then ProAm 6 piston calipers.
Speed Unlimited Motorsports
www.SpeedUnl.com
monkei

Post by monkei »

What year f150? 15" rotors!?? That's HUUUUUGGGGGE! What size wheels do you have to run to clear the calipers. What the heck are TT rotors??

I just bought me an 8.8 rear disc conversion :) , so fronts are next...
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

monkei wrote:What year f150? 15" rotors!?? That's HUUUUUGGGGGE! What size wheels do you have to run to clear the calipers. What the heck are TT rotors??

I just bought me an 8.8 rear disc conversion :) , so fronts are next...
15" TT rotors = Trophy Truck rotors. Most likely a 18" or larger wheel is needed to clear.
monkei

Post by monkei »

Most likely a 18" or larger wheel is needed to clear.
That's what I figured. This is the brake setup you're talking about Slablocal? Those things look badass, ~how thick are they??