Deaver 5.5" coils + raised buckets

Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Deaver 5.5" coils + raised buckets

Post by Phoenix0783 »

Any opinions on this? I'm mainly concerned about keeping the coils from binding when hitting big dips (as has happened) or landing.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Deaver 5.5" coils + raised buckets

Post by philofab »

Phoenix0783 wrote:Any opinions on this? I'm mainly concerned about keeping the coils from binding when hitting big dips (as has happened) or landing.
Very few of us (if any at all) run raised coil buckets. The Deaver coil may need it due to being a taller spring though. Your best bet is to measure the coil thickness and amount of coils to see if a raised bucket would actually be needed.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Phoenix0783

Post by Phoenix0783 »

I'm thinking I'll order them and throw them on to see how much the front is raised and then build buckets that have the top that much higher. I have no idea what springs are on there now, judging by things they're 4" springs, but that's all I can tell. I want to keep ride height reasonable which is also why I'm thinking of raising them.
philofab wrote:Your best bet is to measure the coil thickness and amount of coils to see if a raised bucket would actually be needed.
This would give me the rate, correct? Should I compare my springs and the deavers and if mine are stiffer I may not need to raise anything (even with the length difference)?
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Phoenix0783 wrote:I'm thinking I'll order them and throw them on to see how much the front is raised and then build buckets that have the top that much higher. I have no idea what springs are on there now, judging by things they're 4" springs, but that's all I can tell. I want to keep ride height reasonable which is also why I'm thinking of raising them.
philofab wrote:Your best bet is to measure the coil thickness and amount of coils to see if a raised bucket would actually be needed.
This would give me the rate, correct? Should I compare my springs and the deavers and if mine are stiffer I may not need to raise anything (even with the length difference)?
You can figure the rate and the compression height that they bind at. It might be easier to call Deaver or JBG though.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

coilover.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

My deavers sat at pretty much the same height as a +4 coil new. I think you could run a bucket that was an inch higher without any problems. My guess is that you would end up with aobut a 3.5'' heieght difference form stock. I was a little bit suprised that the deavers yielded the same height. My first indication of this is when Tony got a 4" coil form camburg with his C/T and sat higher in the front than I did. I was under the impression that i had the deavers. Now I have deavers and the height is where it was with ythe other coil which was a +4. The deavers are much softer so while the spring is 5.5" longer it compresses more at ride height than the higher rate springs.
I really dont think you will bind the deavers before you take out your a/c box with an extended bucket unless you went crazy and extended it 3 or 4 inches. I have nothing to back this thought up with though other than my observations.
Jeremy
Phoenix0783

Post by Phoenix0783 »

Polarcub wrote:My deavers sat at pretty much the same height as a +4 coil new. I think you could run a bucket that was an inch higher without any problems. My guess is that you would end up with aobut a 3.5'' heieght difference form stock. I was a little bit suprised that the deavers yielded the same height. My first indication of this is when Tony got a 4" coil form camburg with his C/T and sat higher in the front than I did. I was under the impression that i had the deavers. Now I have deavers and the height is where it was with ythe other coil which was a +4. The deavers are much softer so while the spring is 5.5" longer it compresses more at ride height than the higher rate springs.
So they're just 5.5" longer unmounted than the stock spring, but sit +4" mounted?
mkiefer wrote:coilover.
If I could afford it right now, I most definitely would.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Yes it owuld be worth your time IMO to see where your at with your buckets before lookign at lengthining them. I am very happy with the deavers. IMO the rid eis far superior to the +4 set I had. I think that if your trying to get the front ride height down then a 1" longer bucket may be in order but I dont believe that binding will be an issue on compression if your bumps are set up correctly.
Jeremy
Copykat
Bronco Info: 1987 BroncoII 4x4

Post by Copykat »

Last I checked the F150/Bronco stock coils sit at about 12" loaded.

Should give you a good baseline to find out what you have.

I was told the 5.5" Deaver coils are 22" free and have a spring rate of 425 Lb/In.

A 4" Lift F150 coil would sit around 16" on the truck.

I run 5.5" EB (21.5" Free) coils on my truck. I have F150 buckets that are 3" taller than the Ranger buckets and my coils sit at 17" loaded. But the 375 spring rate is a but on the soft side. 400-425 I find is about perfect for the TTB's.

If you raise the bucket and want to keep the same height you could make spacers for under the coil that sit a bit taller than the stock ones. This just moves the coil up further.

You could look into the 6" 78/79 superflex coils as they sit at 24"+ but they are super soft coils.

I ordered a pair of the 5.5" deaver coils yesterday. I plan to run them with a raised bucket on my truck, when I do the D44 TTB swap.
1987 BroncoII 4x4