Trac-loc

Prerunbronc
Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.8 coilovers, deavers, 2.5 fox, full glass, air bumps, 9" rearend

Trac-loc

Post by Prerunbronc »

How long will a factory 31 spline trac-loc last or is it not worth using and buying a Detroit. It is a 9" runing 4.56 r&p with 35" tires it see's alot of dirt
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Trac-loc

Post by philofab »

Prerunbronc wrote:How long will a factory 31 spline trac-loc last or is it not worth using and buying a Detroit. It is a 9" runing 4.56 r&p with 35" tires it see's alot of dirt
They usually last anywhere from 50K to 150K before needing a rebuild. I normally add a steel and a friction when rebuilding them.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Prerunbronc
Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.8 coilovers, deavers, 2.5 fox, full glass, air bumps, 9" rearend

Post by Prerunbronc »

Nevermind I took the rearend apart the trac-loc is broken
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Prerunbronc wrote:Nevermind I took the rearend apart the trac-loc is broken
Did it crack around the ring gear bolts? Like on the bottom of this page:

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Prerunbronc

Post by Prerunbronc »

Yea
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

aka Slop-Loc.

I gave up on them after seeing them totally worn out in 10k on a new car. Dealer said factory spec is that if it holds 20 ft-lbs then it's ok. 20 ft-lbs??? Good grief, that does not provide any traction assist at all.

I put an Eaton posi in my cobra and it's still working sweet after years of hard use. Much better than the Auburn I tried. The Ford Trac-Loc is worthless IMHO.

Now for the dirt there is no substitute for 100% lockup. I run a spool in the bronco. Tire chirp be damned.

A pair of Detrot Lockers in the crewcab keep it moving. BTW, I have 250,000 miles on my Detroit Lockers in the crewcab, front and rear. Still work just a good as the new. Had one in the bronco and hated it due to the short wheelbase. Spool much nicer on the street in the bronco. Your mileage will vary.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

I have a detroit in the 8.8 in the dirt great but kind of odd on the street. When I do the 9" its going to a spool tires already take a beating on the street with the detroit other than that and a chirp or two very tolerable.
Jeremy