HEADERS

bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

HEADERS

Post by bajascott »

anyone know where i could get my hands on some outside the frame rail headers? any manufacturers out there that build them or would i have to have them made?
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: HEADERS

Post by 300 »

Doug Thorley makes them for the pro trucks, but they may be routed to high if you still have any of the stock accessories or brake master cylinders. Schoenfield was also able to make some work for us from their IMCA modified circle track headers. They flipped the head port flanges upside down and they fit amazingly well at a very reasonable cost. I don't know of any anymore that make them for a production vehicle, so other than those above, you would have to go custom made. The question becomes, do you want to build the truck around the headers, or do you want to build the headers around the truck?
bajascott
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

thanks i am going to contact Schoenfield monday they look like i can make them work.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

Just be aware that you MAY have 'tire to header' clearance issues; particularly at full stuff full lock. IME the collector has to be under the floor and far enough to let the tubes route through the fender-well giving maximum clearance and then merge into the typical square configuration.
Just a FWIW from a guy who has been known to build headers.
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

I know L & L makes them for 429/460 Broncos... >:) (www.landlproducts.com) Might try asking if they've made/will make a fenderwell exit version of their 302/351 headers. I have (and am selling) their chassis exit 79730A longtubes and they definitely made more power on my 302. It's gonna suck having to go back to shorties for the 351.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

my outside the frame headers had to be full custom. fitmet was very tight, just barely clearing my air bumps. went with a tri-y design and the first pair of collectors are set back near the bottom of the firewall. my high port heads didn't help either with the ports 3/4" higher than the normal 351 port location. pipes are 3", mufflers are flowmaster 50 series and exit ahead of the rear tire. this setup is WAY too loud. don't do it. sounds bad ass for the first hour then it sucks. i'm thinking seriously about doing a 180 on the tailpipe, running it back up to the firewall then another 180 back to exit ahead of the rear tire, just to get some more tailpipe and it's muffling effect. no way to get the pipes out the back with custom rear suspension and oversize fuel tank.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

baja-chris wrote:pipes are 3", mufflers are flowmaster 50 series and exit ahead of the rear tire... sounds bad ass for the first hour then it sucks.
3" pipes... I bet it sounds great! I can see how it would get old, though. I used to have a very noisy 5.0L Ranger that was similarly loud. It got old fast and the noise really beat you up on a long trip, but it sure sounded mean! I used to wear good foam ear plugs. They would block out the noises that ate away at you but still allowed you to talk to the person next to you without yelling.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Chris, a friend of mine just modified a big block Cobra with headers and side pipes (of course!) to make it quieter and sound better. He basically reduced the size of the outlet but installing a smaller exhaust tube inside the tailpipe. The end result is less noise, better sound and the same look as the reduction is inside the tailpipe... basically one tailpipe inside the other. He also made it removable in case the owner ever wanted the annoyance factor back.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

bajascott wrote:anyone know where i could get my hands on some outside the frame rail headers? any manufacturers out there that build them or would i have to have them made?
I've been wanting a set as well. Searched and serched but never found anything that would fit without major modifications. I'm waiting to hit the lottery so I can have John at Autofab build me a custom set. He builds some bitchen custom headers from time to time.

baja-chris wrote:my outside the frame headers had to be full custom. fitmet was very tight, just barely clearing my air bumps. went with a tri-y design and the first pair of collectors are set back near the bottom of the firewall. my high port heads didn't help either with the ports 3/4" higher than the normal 351 port location. pipes are 3", mufflers are flowmaster 50 series and exit ahead of the rear tire. this setup is WAY too loud. don't do it. sounds bad ass for the first hour then it sucks. i'm thinking seriously about doing a 180 on the tailpipe, running it back up to the firewall then another 180 back to exit ahead of the rear tire, just to get some more tailpipe and it's muffling effect. no way to get the pipes out the back with custom rear suspension and oversize fuel tank.
If its too loud your too old. Ha Ha
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

i think for now,i am going to run my shortys into a single. when i do end up tearing this all down this winter,i am going to build the headers myself( like said before" build the headers around the truck")
great advise!! haha
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

flyinbronco wrote:If its too loud your too old. Ha Ha
Hey, I resemble that statement! :o :lol: :lol:
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

BajaF250 wrote:
flyinbronco wrote:If its too loud your too old. Ha Ha
Hey, I resemble that statement! :o :lol: :lol:

Me too. i want like stock quiet. PLUS if no one hears me doing it. It never happened.