Ford 9" questions

Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Re: Ford 9" questions

Post by Nick »

Seattle FSB wrote:
Wavetrac®: Gives you quicker acceleration and faster cornering by driving both drive wheels instead of just one. And, it offers improved no-load performance when compared to other helical gear differentials on the market.
AutoTech Driveline
http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm

Moser Engineering
http://www.moserengineering.com/differe ... pline.html

California Dealers
http://www.wavetrac.net/dealers.htm
$995!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Interesting read on the wacetrac but at the price is it that much better than an existing LSD. You could almost pay for a selectable locker or just go with a spool and have about 700 left over.

At this point after having the detroit in the bronco I am not sure I will ever have a LSD again in it. I like the way it drives in the dirt and see so little snow /ice I will take that as a trade off. The couple times I have been in snow with it I was just cautious with the right foot.
I can say that had I known the detroit was so quirky on the street i would have gone with a spool so the consistency was there.
Anyone have any comparison data on the wavetrac or real world reviews?
Jeremy
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

Good points, Jeremy.

I am running a new (high torque at low RPM) 408 Stroker which runs 75% street and 25% off road in hilly terrain. To beef up the drive train, I have a custom Level 10 E4OD and the Currie F9. For my application, a Detroit Locker would be out of the question due to the poor on-road manners and significant rain, snow and ice here in the Pacific Northwest.

Strength is of primary consideration with the WaveTrac having high strength 9310 alloy steel internal gears, machined case hardened steel billet differential body and ARP high strength fasteners. Not to mention 35 spline, zero maintenance and customizable.

To me, the cost is off-set by the unique auto-loading design, strength and lifetime transferable warranty, which includes racing and off-road. The warranty states that you must use a quality 85/140 non synthetic gear oil with NO friction modifier.

My initial impression is an immediate smooth & silent bias transition with substantially reduced wheel spin on hard launches and turns. The WaveTrac is being used by many performance racers and is just now catching the attention of off-road racers and crawlers. In 9", it is only available in 35-spline.

By the way, the WaveTrac is manufactured by Autotech Driveline in Aliso Viejo, CA. and the 35-spline 9" unit is available exclusively in the US from Moser Engineering.
Moser Wavetrac
Moser Engineering has partnered with Autotech Corporation where Moser Engineering will be the sole distributor in North America for 35-spline Wavetrac differentials for 12-bolt applications. According to Moser, they actually tried to break a Wavetrac diff in their fleet of race vehicles. When that failed, they became believers. That's why they're putting a transferrable lifetime warranty on every Wavetrac they sell. This unit is said to be different than other torque biasing diff designs because it works in low- or no-traction conditions that could stop others. The Wavetrac is made from 9310 steel gears that run in a case-hardened billet steel body and use high-quality ARP fasteners. The Wavetrac is designed to be maintenance-free, meaning that as supplied new, it will perform a lifetime of service without maintenance or rebuilds. The unit is also customizable, and you can alter the diff's behavior to suit your needs using optional components. This made-in-America design opens up the possibilities for dual-purpose race cars, bringing usable limited-slip capability to an extremely strong application.
Last edited by Seattle FSB on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I enjoyed drifting my Bronco around corners with my Detroit in Bellevue & Seattle a few months ago. I don't think it would be as much fun if it just hooked up...
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

It sounds like a very good option and the warranty is a good selling point for sure. I may have to look at this more since i wont be getting my next rear end together any time soon. I really like the ability to "tune it" it makes me think that you may be able to get if pretty close to a full locker. I just love the way the full locker is in the dirt and after having it I dont know if I would be as happy with a limited slip set up...food for thought for sure.
Jeremy
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

at 995 you could return it 3x and they still make money! Im sure after the second the customer would go elsewhere.

Reminds me of Tommy Boy

"Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside. Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

Gee Kris.

Reminds me of A Fish Called Wanda:

"All right, all right, I apologize. I'm really really sorry. I apologize unreservedly.
I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future."

I only tried to answer your questions.
shockseals.com wrote:What is the max width, wheel to wheel that can be put on a steel fendered bronco with stock wheels and 35x12.5 tires?

What is the max size rotor that will fit in a 15" stock alcoa?

Is there a preferred spline count on the axles for largest sleection of diff units out there?

What is the preferred diff? Spool is not an option.

Is there a preferred 3rd member?

I see high pinion...is the strength = to regular pinion? Seems like a good idea for increased droop since driveshaft is limiter.

I dont know much about 9" rear ends or rear ends in general for that matter.
This is what worked for my application.

If you are not interested in quality or performance, go with your "good deal" and settle for "good enough".
1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Seattle FSB wrote:Gee Kris.

"All right, all right, I apologize. I'm really really sorry. I apologize unreservedly.
I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future."

shockseals.com wrote:What is the max width, wheel to wheel that can be put on a steel fendered bronco with stock wheels and 35x12.5 tires?

Is there a preferred spline count on the axles for largest sleection of diff units out there?

I see high pinion...is the strength = to regular pinion? Seems like a good idea for increased droop since driveshaft is limiter.

If you are not interested in quality or performance, go with your "good deal" and settle for "good enough".
Haha! You'll fit in great around here!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Seattle FSB wrote:Gee Kris.

None of my humor was aimed towards you, just the company making the diff. I do appreciate your input.

Chromoly full floater with cone hubs and 300m axles is just "good enough" these days?

Im screwed!
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Hmmm, hadn't seen the Wavelocks before. I always wanted a 35 spline Truetrac and here it is with some upgrades. BTW, with one tire in the air, a light tap on the brakes with a Truetrac will lock it up enough to drive out of almost anything.

AAM makes a TBD with electric lock up for a 14 bolt....... Now I just need to find one of those Portal Tech pumpkins, I can make the housing..........
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

X2 did tubeworks get the casting molds for the super 14s? he mad alot of parts for them. i REALLLY want one too.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Getting smart on gear oil
Read this thread and note the discussion on synthetic vs dino gear starting with message #96
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/motor ... st10116981

Any commetns?
Paul
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I, personally, do not believe in synthetic based oils for older trucks. I know that with a flat tappet motor the only oil you should really run from lets say autozone is shell rotella 15-40. It has the zinc needed. For the rearend, if the book says run conventional, do not make the switch. I've heard the reasoning is because (esp. older rear ends) there is something in the conventional oil that the gears need that the synthetic lack.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

The wifes Jeep suffers from the flat tappet and bad gear deal. Now that the diesel oils have the reduced zinc I am forced to go with gasser 10w30 plus zddp additive to try to prolong any possible failure.
BTW, Unlike Rotella, Delo LE still has enough zinc.

As far as I know ford specify Syn gear oil and 100k oil changes, but of course the usage in not what a hard use desert tuck sees.
Paul
=================
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I, personally, do not believe in synthetic based oils for older trucks. I know that with a flat tappet motor the only oil you should really run from lets say autozone is shell rotella 15-40. It has the zinc needed. For the rearend, if the book says run conventional, do not make the switch. I've heard the reasoning is because (esp. older rear ends) there is something in the conventional oil that the gears need that the synthetic lack.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Only thing with Delo is it brakes down quicker than Shell / Rotella. My dad runs Shell in his rig over the delo for that reason.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

I talked to sandy cone today for a bit and he is a bronco lover. He told me I should really consider this differential as numero uno choice. Its not yet available in 35 spline but is coming shortly. He raved about it for at least 5 minutes.

http://www.dpiracingproducts.com/store/ ... -p-31.html

He said if that didnt interest me there is a company in santa fe springs Wuick Change Exchange making a detroit locker out of billet and it is orderable with custom springs to make it drive nicer. Standard Detroit is made of PM

Just thought I would share the info since Cone knows a thing or two about rearends.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Does anybody have a bronco with a detroit locker in it I can test drive around town?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

shockseals.com wrote:Does anybody have a bronco with a detroit locker in it I can test drive around town?
===
D locker is a bad choice IMO
What you will find is tire scrub on turns. Truns locks it up then later you hear a loud clunk when it unlocks. If you drive on wet, ice, or snow, when it locks you will dive off the road into the ditch.
Get a trutrac and avoid all these things. If you are a desert guy get a spool. If you have 40 spline choices are limited. Consider an $ARB$ if they sell one for your setup. I used ARB on my EB (9/44, 31 spline) and lock it for the obstacles and unlock the front to turn. Run open diff most of the time - best of both worlds IMO.

I have a rear soft D locker in my F350 (10.5) and Chris has D lockers on both axles on his crewcab. With the Crew cab (D60/10.25) auto the dirve is much better than with my stick. I would say the D locker soft or regular should not be used with a stick due to drivetrain damage. I never drive in slick conditions with my f350 and I bet Chris has never as well.
I guess the difference between the regular and soft is the amount of backlash and more rounded ramps (on soft) to minimize the clunk when locking or unlocking. It would not have any change with respect to driving on slick roads.
Paul
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

shockseals.com wrote:Does anybody have a bronco with a detroit locker in it I can test drive around town?
Kris, I would be happy to let you take my POS for a spin around town if your in the area or even if your at the more race. I dont make it up your way very often but if I do and you still want to get a first hand feel I would be happy to I am near lake Elsinore.
Jeremy
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Last time it rained I did an accidental 180 in a safeway parking lot at 8-10 mph due to my Detroit. It can be scary in the right situation. If you don't mind parking the thing in rain and snow you'll be fine. I'm not sure if 4wd would help in these situations.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/