Lets talkk cold air intakes

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Lets talkk cold air intakes

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Okay, so I have been beating my head up against the wall. I spoke to my smog guy who states, that as long as the mass air flow meter stays with the stock intake tubes, I can run something after. I can't run the stock air box because I thought it would be cool to build an engine cage. I have the stock air tubes from the tb to the mass air, and then a conical filter for temporary with an adapter to the mass air meter. I'm thinking a donaldson filter would be far better filtering, but dont want to suck that hot v8 air under the hood. I also don't need a 1,000.00 UMP system, as that is more than the rear end I'm building. What're thoughts on changes? I am considering reusing the snorkel from either the 5.0 / 5.8 or the 460 / v6 intake that sits behind the headlight, but would need to divert the air to the cleaner. Any other ideas?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
hobbyturnedobsession

Re: Lets talkk cold air intakes

Also, that second k was a mistake.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I am in the same boat with the engine cage. I am also ditching the Factory fuel injection to run a Edlebrock Super Victor MPFI intake, 1450 Edlebrock 1000cfm throttle body and run a low profile dual output plenum to K&N canister air filters with filter wraps. Since my motor will be a stroker in the 500 to 550hp range, I think a single canister will not be enough air flow. On a 351w, a single canister should be fine. Then I am debating plumbing the canisters to the side of the grill shroud where cold air before the radiator can be diverted to the filter. My other thought was to plumb the air filter to the hood scoop like a Ram intake. My Bronco is a 1972 and I was thinking of a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 hood scoop. Either way, it would get cold air. The K&N canister filter is around $250 to $300.

Fortunately I don't have to worry about smog on the 1972 Bronco or atleast the body is 72 Image keep that 86 chassis a secret.ImageImageImageImageImage

David

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

K&N CANISTER AIR FILTER Image

David

hobbyturnedobsession

Its just a stock 302 so it doesnt huff too much. Itll get an explorer long block eventually but thats not a big difference. Ive been looking on donaldsons website and found this one. https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-us/ ... 0017/11562. Ive also been looking at their ebb line. Havent gotten far but was thinking of moving the underhood inlet snorkel to where the recovery tank is and pipe that to the inlet side of the air filter assembly. It would be nice to do that since you can pipe dual filters to it. Ive seen kits for the obs stuff that keeps the tubes split and has two filters. That just looks goofy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hillbilly Heaven
Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 545 swap 6R80 D60 front and 10.5 rear. Use for expedition camping go fast when at home

Post by Hillbilly Heaven »

hobbyturnedobsession

Thank you. I like the airaid box for packaging. I wonder if someone like donaldson make a paper filter that will fit inside of it. Then drill a hole to route to the cold air snorkel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk