Aluminum Beadlock conversion

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Aluminum Beadlock conversion

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I found a guy https://www.macfabperformance.com that converts the aluminum centerline wheels to a outer beadlock or even a inner beadlock. I wish Hutchinson would make their Rock Monster slotted aluminum double beadlock in a 16.5 rim with 8 on 6.5 lug. I checked out the new 21-22 aluminum slotted mag wheels but they only make a 6 lug version. So for now a single outer beadlock should be ok.

I talked to Mac fab performance and asked him about converting my Centerline wheels to a double beadlock like the Hutchinson double beadlock steel wheels. I asked if he could utilize the inner beadlock inserts to lock in the tire to the inner and outer beads. He said it would be a first-time, but he thinks he can do it. I have some Hutchinson radial tire inserts I got for my double beadlocks on my F350. I have had military run flat insert donuts in my wheels for several years, but I wanted lighter weight wheels. Changing the beadlock run flat inserts will save around 30-49 lbs per wheel. The non run flat beadlock inserts cost only $20 each compared to the Pvc beadlock inserts at $70 from other places that sell converted hummer wheels. The last tire shop that put new 37X12.50R16.5LT tires on my 24 bolt converted 8x170 re-centered wheels i got from Alpha Tread in Tucson AZ. The tires and wheels have been great, but I need lighter Wheels for my 1972 Bronco project.

My 72 with the 86 TTB 4wd chassis will be old school in look, but hopefully a high performance beast. I really want to find a set of Chevy 8on6.5 slotted mag aluminum wheels and then have them converted to a double beadlock. The Centerline I already have are old school looking and I am thinking of starting off by sending two of them to be converted and if they work out well, I can use them for paddle tires on the Bronco for Glamis. The problem is finding paddle tires in a 16.5 rim. So I may send Skat track a couple old 37X12.50R16.5LT and they will buff out the tread, add a layer of Kevlar rubber and attach the paddle scoops. I think around 10 or 12 paddles for my 550hp motor.

All it takes is money. Mac Fab said $250 per wheel for the conversion. I only paid $100 for each of the old school Centerline wheels, so at $350 per wheel is not bad. Then I need to think about color. I was thinks Black Chrome powder coated or Anadized.

We will see.

Has anyone had aluminum wheels converted to Beadlocks?

David

DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Re: Aluminum Beadlock conversion

Post by DMbronco »

Hey David!

Sounds awesome, and look forward to seeing your progress.

I scored a set of slot mags (aluminum) for my pops' 73 bronco, and he had them converted to beadlocks by OMF in Riverside. www.omfperformance.com

Pretty sure their price was in the ballpark you mentioned above.

I have a set of forged aluminum beadlocks on my 96; they were converted by Champion for the rough rider racing team back in the day.

It is my understanding that Champion moved away from anything besides drag racing applications; maybe a move to limit liability?

Anyhow, both sets have worked well for us; no air leaks and both trucks sit still for long periods of time.

Keep us posted- good luck!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

DMbronco wrote:Hey David!

Sounds awesome, and look forward to seeing your progress.

I scored a set of slot mags (aluminum) for my pops' 73 bronco, and he had them converted to beadlocks by OMF in Riverside. www.omfperformance.com

Pretty sure their price was in the ballpark you mentioned above.

I have a set of forged aluminum beadlocks on my 96; they were converted by Champion for the rough rider racing team back in the day.

It is my understanding that Champion moved away from anything besides drag racing applications; maybe a move to limit liability?

Anyhow, both sets have worked well for us; no air leaks and both trucks sit still for long periods of time.

Keep us posted- good luck!
Thanks for the info on OMF, I just recently heard from someone that OMF charges around $300 to convert to beadlock. Fortunately I can drive up there.

David

robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I had these done for a customer by OMF recently
Screenshot_20230720_142723_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230720_142723_Instagram.jpg (608.22 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Screenshot_20230720_142618_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230720_142618_Instagram.jpg (265.72 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Screenshot_20230720_142703_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230720_142703_Instagram.jpg (438.91 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Wrightracing.net

robertcrav wrote:I had these done for a customer by OMF recently
Screenshot_20230720_142723_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230720_142703_Instagram.jpg
Those look awesome Robert.

If you don't mind, how much did OMF charge to do the conversion?

I like that style of wheel, but I am going a different route on my 1972 Bronco project. I want to get some old school slotted mag wheels and convert them to beadlock.

I am still debating on size and Lug pattern. I will not be able to run 15" wheels, because I will be running F250 knuckles and Brakes up front. I have also been thinking about 1999 or newer units bearing conversions on the 9in rear to run Superduty disc rear brakes with the drum parking brakes. My goal is to make everything easy to maintain with off the shelf parts I can get from any parts store, especially if needed on a long trip in Baja. Then it comes to lug pattern, 8x6.5 is common out there, but 8x170 is easier to find on the rear brakes. If front on the 95-97 F250 come in 8x6.5, but if I wanted to convert them to 8x170, I would have to figure out if a 99 or newer knuckles could be bolted to the Dana 50 4x4 beam ends I have for my hybrid Dana 44/50 beams I will be running. I just picked up some Dana 50 beam ends from Matt aka VintageIronFab. They will work perfectly to extend the beams, let me run the larger axles and larger 1350 U-joints but still run the Dana 44 third member. They 50 and 44 both use 30 spline axles which makes them interchangeable. No matter what, I will need to make longer axles or buy them from Dutchman. Some stuff will not be able to get off the shelf. If I go 8x170 I can interchange wheels from my 1999 F350 and the Bronco. I have been getting Superduty parts for the Bronco already, like the adjustable pedal assembly, hydroboost brake system and the master cylinder. I need to research the unit bearing thing on the front and rear. I did have one go out on my front f350 axle, so running 37 inch tires up front might be a issue with the abuse the Bronco will see. I am not sure if the rear the snout style is stronger then a unit bearing setup, I suspect it is, because most race teams still run them, but Currie is doing a rock crawler unit bearing setup in some King of the Hammers race Jeeps.

Then the rim size is an issue, 16.5 is common in chevy 8x6.5 wheels, even in the aluminum slotted mag wheels I want to run. Also, I can get BFG Baja TA 37X12.50R16.5LT tires with 95% or better tread for under $200 each and new old stock ones for $300. I have been running the Surplus Baja's on my F350 for years and I like them. So that is hard, because the 16.5 will get harder to find some day. And then if I do paddle tires for the dunes, I will have to send out a set of Baja's to be shaved and skat track hauler scoops installed with a layer of Kevlar volkanized to make them stronger.

It all is a snowball affect and I plan to keep this Bronco until I die and it is my own last big build. But a friend just got a 1990 Bronco and I will be helping him with his build.Image

Robert congratulations on your Son driving. Image man did he grow up fast Image.

Sorry for the long post. ImageImage

Atleast my 72 Bronco is in the garage and no longer rusting in the driveway. Image

I really wish Hutchinson would make a 8 lug double beadlock in the New Bronco style Slotted mag wheels like in the picture. ImageImage

David

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

robertcrav wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:30 pm
I had these done for a customer by OMF recently
Those look great! I was going to have some done for Wilson but then thought about the fact that I’ve never had a headlock failure… keeping mine simple (for now), but those look great!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Wrightracing.net

I wonder what guy's running paddle tires do for front tires. Is anyone running paddles up front also? I was considering straight Hooked paddle tires in the rear, but a desert track style from Sand Tires Unlimited. Not sure yet. I plan to run 37's for hard packed, maybe 35's for the dunes.

On our old Class 8 we went to 35's when we raced on a course that was primarily sand, like Laughlin. On a two day race , we took 1st place and a second place for the weekend.

David

robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

There's an IG page that's been popping up lately in my Explore feed that's been posting a lot of full size trucks with paddles rear and almost an ag/Terra looking front, I will try and find some posts
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

Just swapped from the old BFG BAJAS to KM3 on the beadlocks

Wrightracing.net

Love itImage My plan for now is to look for a set of the old 8 lug 16.5x9.75 aluminum slotted mag wheels.
I already run BFG Baja 37X12.50R16.5LT ON my F350 and like them. I can get nos 100% new for $300 each and used 90% tread for $125-150 each. My Bronco is a Off-Road toy and won't see much street. I do love the 24bolt double beadlock wheels except the weight on the Bronco would not be good. I will be doing new ones on the F350 this year and removing the heavy run flat donuts. I got the Hutchinson double beadlock inserts for the BFG Baja radials tires, so it will be interesting to see the difference.

I do wish I could afford $800 each for aluminum Hutchinson double beadlock 17x9.75, but then 37X12.50R17LT tires will cost a lot more than the 16.5 Millitary by double.

In a couple years I will make the change when tires come hard to find.

Hopefully a dirty cheap set an have them blasted and have Beadlock's installed. Then get them powder coated, maybe a black chrome color. We will see.Image

David