Best steering box

XLR8
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XL

Best steering box

Post by XLR8 »

Finishing up a build and have all new steering parts with a Hollander swing steer setup and Desolate 2wd beams. I have a rebuild redhead box that's a few years old but it's still not tight enough to be comfortable. I have a decent amount, maybe 10 degrees of off center steering before i feel the box gears. Does anyone make something better? I want it feel more direct and not have any play on center.
thanks
tactical328
Bronco Info: future broncozilla

Re: Best steering box

Post by tactical328 »

have you adjusted your box? should be able to tighten it up to get rid of the off center steering/gear clearance.
m_martin53
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 E4OD

Post by m_martin53 »

Have you replaced your steering shaft?

I just recently put a redhead box, Saginaw pump, and new HD tie rods on mine. It cleaned up probably 85% of the play I had. Only thing I haven’t gotten to yet is the rag joint on the steering shaft. From what I’ve read that should clean up the majority of the remaining play I still have.
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

redhead with a borgesen shaft is the ticket here
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
chucks187
Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.8 with a slightly above the Poverty Line set-up.

Post by chucks187 »

S00TLYFE wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:57 pm
redhead with a borgesen shaft is the ticket here
Do you happen to have the Borgesen part # needed for a 94?
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Contact Hollander. He has a line on new steering boxes that would be worth looking into.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Here's my opinion take it or leave it. If you are needing right now, I've got a couple hours to get this done and back on the road get a basic cardone off Amazon - yes Amazon! If you want a better bolt on then a Red Head is fine, if you want like bolt on best better then Charlie at Power Steering Solutions - truth is tye ford power steering box platform isn't really very modifiable. Now if it were me and I wanted an easy project - I'm running a super common Chevy Tahoe 3 bolt box. Why?? well the bottom 2 holes bolt up and the top needs holesawed out frame sleeved and then the pitman arm needs addressed. Why do all that - truthfully because the Saginaw box is insanely modifiable, common anywhere in North America and can be built from mild to wild. If I'm building a really serious prerunner a 4 bolt Saginaw is the only choice. It really all depends time, cash and your skill -- ir cash
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)