Roll cage welding tech

tactical328
Bronco Info: future broncozilla

Roll cage welding tech

Post by tactical328 »

When connecting the main roll cage to the engine cage what technique do you use for fully welding the tube at the A pillar to dash tube connection? I've been looking at pictures of builds and broncos trying to figure out the best way to do it.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Roll cage welding tech

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Seems to be welded somewhat blind using the super short/flat cap on the TIG torch and windshield out.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

So there's no order of operations like dropping the cage through the floor to get the top tubes for this one? just gotta make some room and get in tight.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

To weld the topmost tubes (meaning a pillar/main hoop tube above your head) people do it different ways. Some people drop the cage through the floor and some people cut the roof off (this is a bit less common). Thinking in terms of your original question though, the tubes coming through the firewall are a bit harder to do the "drop the cage through the floor" technique though as you have to cut a larger hole in the firewall to do this and often there is "stuff" in the way making it hard to drop. But yes, if you are dropping cage through the floor to weld the top tubes do that before the cage to engine cage tie in as you can't drop it very far after.

Sit and stare at the mocked up cage long and hard BEFORE welding anything more than an easily removable tack. Do this a couple times over, making notes on sequence of welds before you actually start welding. You will notice something on the 2nd or 3rd time staring at the project that you didn't see the first time and your "order of operations" will change. What I can say from personal experience is don't just get excited and start welding, You WILL weld something you need to leave un-welded so as to get something else welded first. Been there, done that, as has anyone who's ever done a big project like a cage. Think it out first a couple times before you fire up the torch and you'll save grinding or cutting and re-welding.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

Yea, I'd like to have some extra eyes on the thing, i hate missing the forest through the trees. But nobody builds prerunners where I am at. Thanks for the help Chase!
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Can you tack the cage up then slide it back enough to weld in the tie tubes on the inside of the truck? Say tack the A pillar and dash bar along with bars going to the B pillar, then slide it back, only fully weld the tie tubes on the inside, then slide it forward and finish? Don't weld the tubes to the engine cage until the interior is fully welded so you can move it around some.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

Yeah that's my general plan but im trying to fully weld the engine cage to the main cage, I'm going to try to slide the mains from the engine cage back into the cab to full weld them. I'm trying to piece together what the pros do like cho and vik, but it seems like theyre fully welding the engine cage before they get into the cab. So i'm kinda confused as to how it works. But thats where you wonderful guys come in!
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

The majority definitely seem to tack it all in, lower the whole thing inside and weld it up. Then once all the welding on the tubes is 100% verified complete, then either outriggers or kickers from the frame to the base of the cage are added.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Another option is to use a short tube from the a pillar with a locking tube connector. Put the short tube in place when fitting the A pillar, easier to weld the short tube in place. Then build the engine cage off the tube connector.

When I do the next cage on my 72 Bronco, I plan to use 2"x.120 for the cage with tube connectors so I can remove the engine cage without having to cut any tubes.

David