Ramsey has a D50 not D70 -- Ha.
Senior moment.
PW
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: TTB Build thoughts

Post by philofab »

PaulW wrote:Ramsey has a D50 not D70 -- Ha.
Senior moment.
PW
That makes a lot more sense. I think I would do a high pinion 9" if I were building one from scratch. That would probably make a complicated setup just that more complicated though.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Damn Glen builds some bad @$$ rigs. I love stopping by his shop when I'm in SD.

Paul W or Chris W, do you guys know if his guy Chad is still building that 1930 Ford Model A prerunner?

Chris
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

You know, It wouldn't be that hard to put one of the new 8.8 front diffs in a beam. It would save a LOT of weight.........
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

or a high 9. then you could go to 35 spline d 60 based axles and snouts
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

Was there a TTB using a differential larger then the D50?
I only ask because there is a 90's F250 that has something real big in the way of a TTB in it...
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Dust wrote:Was there a TTB using a differential larger then the D50?
I only ask because there is a 90's F250 that has something real big in the way of a TTB in it...
That is a D50. The D60 only came in a solid axle option.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

philofab wrote:
That is what I thought... but...
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

I might argue that trussing the front driver's side axle housing is more than just for looks and cool points. I bent my untrussed (but strengthened) axle housing last year while prerunning the 1000 with Rick (flyinbronco). We were on the west side of Laguna Salada just coming down off the east side of the summit and it "kissed" a rock on the center diff skid plate doing about 80. I just caught about 1/4" and the axle housing skipped over the rock. It was such a light touch, I didn't think anything of it. But, I stopped anyway and took a look. Bent the axle housing just inboard of the diff and bent the radius arm due to the twising load on the axle housing on impact. Didn't damage it enough to keep me from continuing on except I didn't have the use of FWD (never need it anyway) due to fluid loss.

The pic shows the axle housing prior to install and damage. It actually bent between the diff bolt holes and the added backing plate. As you can see, this is a weak point because there is nothing to bridge that gap. The truss will essentially build a support across the weak point in the housing.

I originally chose not to truss due to weight and the assessed lower risk of actually bending a frigg'in D44HD housing. Well, it lasted about 7 years before I bent it. So, this is one of my current projects. And, Steve G's comment of a skid plate with a ramp on it is absolutely a must... working on that as well.
Attachments
front axle housing prior to damage
front axle housing prior to damage
Picture1.jpg (59.74 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:It actually bent between the diff bolt holes and the added backing plate. As you can see, this is a weak point because there is nothing to bridge that gap. The truss will essentially build a support across the weak point in the housing.
As I said before, I've always thought that if I was going to truss a beam it would be between the pivot and differential. The other end is pretty strong since it's boxed and attached to the differential housing.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Tom, The way you guys trussed that may be concentrating all the shock load in one place. Will it clear the axle without the two little horizontal breaks and instead one vertical to keep the plate and beam far enough away from each other to create a tube?
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:Tom, The way you guys trussed that may be concentrating all the shock load in one place. Will it clear the axle without the two little horizontal breaks and instead one vertical to keep the plate and beam far enough away from each other to create a tube?
Philo,
You are absolutely right, but it wouldn't work any other way. You're right, there is insufficient room to bring the plate up to form a box. This was the best I could do without a truss on the front. My risk assessmnet on this was that I wouldn't need to truss, I didn't think I'd bend a 44HD housing (the housing is 75 thou thicker material than the standard 44 on the F150 and Bronco.

The bend was actually along the bolt line for the diff. So, even if I had been able to box it, it still would have bent in the same place (you should have seen the bolts along there, greatly stretched and bent). I believe the only way to build enough structure to that one section is to bridge support across the front. So, now that I've proven that I can bend the darn thing, I believe it's time to truss.

I'm still not certain if I'm going to contine the truss across to the outside of the diff. If you look at the way the axle housing is boxed and the back side of the box is actually bolted to the diff housing, this adds significant strength to that side of the housing. The weak side is the inboard side towards the pivot point, as Steve G points out. Again, proven in my case. I may just continue the truss across the entire housing just for balance. The counter argument is it increases unsprung weight unnecessarily.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Dust wrote:I really like this execution.
Necessary? Prolly opinion rages up and down.
The thing that intrigues me is the possibility for massive strength increases as a drive axle.

Yes, I ripped from RDC :shock:
That is my friend Ramsey's Blazer project. It has Dana 50 knuckles on it with
8 lug hubs. If you check out http://complete-fab.com you can see
some of the old pictures. I will get some new pics up soon.
Blueblood

Post by Blueblood »

as cool as ramsey are, are = lengh 4x beams realy worth the $$$$??? if i had the money for sure i would go that way. maybe with currie center and have a fab shop like SI do a = lengh like Stu truck only 4x.

ps what the hell do i know my pos doesnt even run. on a side note mark would you mind posting up some more of your ideas/projects???
ogre20012001
Bronco Info: 1989 bronco

Post by ogre20012001 »

bajascott wrote: i dont know about the l/s in the third member. i personally like to steer on the highway in the snow.

i have a Detroit True-Trac LS in the front of my Bronco and love it. i havent had any ill results on highway driving in the snow from it.
1989 Ford Bronco 2.5" lift 33" tires Detorit True-Trac front and rear with 4.56 gears. and soon to install a mile marker 8000lbs Electric Winch!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

philofab wrote:
Ramsey and Glen made a lot of progress on the Blazer but still not done. It was suppose to be Ramsey's 50th birthday present to himself. The pumpkin on the equal length front end is a Dana 44 but the outer knuckles and beam ends are Dana 50 for the stronger joints and 8×6.5 lug pattern. I can't wait til they get it done.