Axle alignment

TPiggott
Bronco Info: My son has a 1989 Bronco we are building into a pre-runner for my other sons 71 Ford desert racer

Axle alignment

Post by TPiggott »

Pardon my ignorance but my son (TrevorPiggott on this forum) and I are about to swap 4.5 over TTB's on his front end and I have seen a couple references to "clocking the third member for axle clearance". Could somebody explain this to me? I am no newbie when it comes to modifying cars but this is my first attempt at a TTB front end.

Thanks,
Tom
convoy

Re: Axle alignment

Post by convoy »

I never heard of this until maybe 1.5 years ago. I have 4" widened D44 axle housings and I was having issues with my lengthened axles. The driver side axle u-joint and stub shaft misaligned within the hub causing all sorts of problems, mainly grenading my warn hubs into pieces. I brought this issue up with the person that lengthened the axles shafts, suspecting it was an axle shaft issue. He informed me that it was due to the 3rd member not being clocked within the housing. It consists of rotating the 3rd member within the housing and fabricating new holes for the all the bolts and the 2 outer support bolts. This allows the axles to be properly aligned within the housing. I would say Mark Keifer with Southwest Performance would be the best person to speak with.
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Re: Axle alignment

Post by Deleted Account »

858-449-2292