Start Your Go-Fast Build-Front Suspension

GoFastBroncos.com

Start Your Go-Fast Build-Front Suspension

Post by GoFastBroncos.com »

As always, we welcome your questions, comments and input!

Obviously, there is no ONE way to build a go-fast Bronco. There are some common tricks used to make them work, though. This post will go over some of the basics. Basically, we'll start with the mild. You add the wild!

Basic foundation:

Front
Modified axle-housings
Extended radius arms
Lift coils
Extended brake hoses
Longer shocks

Recommended items to add to your basic foundation:
Limit straps (to prevent the over extending of shocks and the coil spring from unseating)
Relocate bump stops (as needed to prevent over-compressing of the shocks and coils)

The modifications above will give you a good, basic foundation for a go-fast build. It retains many stock parts, keeps the truck very easy to work on and reliable (assuming good install). You will have gained wheel travel, clearance and of course some good looks! The biggest limiting factor at this point will be shocks. If you push the truck hard for extended periods they will heat up, fade and your truck will turn into a pogo-stick.
GoFastBroncos.com

Re: Where To Start Your Go-Fast Build

Reserved.
GoFastBroncos.com

Reserved.
GoFastBroncos.com

Reserved.
gunit

Re: Start Your Go-Fast Build-Front Suspension

Post by gunit »

Just finished the front beams for my race Bronco, you will notice a few differences from your stock beams.
IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg (233.05 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
IMG_0465.jpg
IMG_0465.jpg (221.89 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0463.jpg (233.13 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
gunit

Post by gunit »

The other side
IMG_0470.jpg[/attachment attachment=0]IMG_0471.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg (215.39 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
Attachments
IMG_0471.jpg
IMG_0471.jpg (235.47 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
IMG_0470.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg (226.3 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
gunit

Post by gunit »

A few more
IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg (234.76 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0478.jpg (209.59 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
IMG_0474.jpg
IMG_0474.jpg (207.89 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
RSR

Post by RSR »

I assume from the pics that you are getting camber correction from the kick in the beam instead of from pulling out the lower ball joint. Does this give you more up travel? Also, how does this affect the center slip yoke in the driveshaft? Looks like it might cause it to slide too much from full bump to full droop. Not being critical, just asking questions :)
gunit

Post by gunit »

We have gone this way for several reasons: better angle of the center joint, better steering geometry and more up travel and less change in camber between full droop and full bump compared to C&T. Both of the pivot points have been relocated as well.

It is not the way everyone elso has been doing it but we feel that we have made the best compromises to achieve the maximum performance within the confines of the class 3 rules.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Wow Dave, those are pretty trick looking. Please post pics of you guys cycling it.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

WOW!!

That's all I have to say.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
RSR

Post by RSR »

gunit wrote:We have gone this way for several reasons: better angle of the center joint, better steering geometry and more up travel and less change in camber between full droop and full bump compared to C&T. Both of the pivot points have been relocated as well.

It is not the way everyone elso has been doing it but we feel that we have made the best compromises to achieve the maximum performance within the confines of the class 3 rules.

Can you elaborate on the relocation of the pivot points. Is the track width widened, and if so, where does the extra width come from. I'll bet you get about 2" more up travel without the extra ride height.

X2 on the pics of cycling the suspension.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

gunit wrote:We have gone this way for several reasons: better angle of the center joint, better steering geometry and more up travel and less change in camber between full droop and full bump compared to C&T. Both of the pivot points have been relocated as well.

=========
Super you can be proud of what you have done. You have beams that are stronger the Chris' old C8 truck. Workmanship is excellent as well as the plating.
PW
gunit

Post by gunit »

I will post more pics showing the swing when the radius arms are complete.

Paul, thank you. We spent some time studying that truck as well as several other successful TTB racers.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

looks awsome. i am wondering how much ground clearance is effected.i was contracted to build a front end for a friend of mine,and he wants the beams to be set at stock hieght and 4"wider per side. we were talking about how the bump travel will be affected so he was goint to notch the frame. but i never really thought of relocating the pivot. i will be watching your build,and learning something new!
fab work looks top notch great job! and i like your truss.......:)
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
billy1911

Post by billy1911 »

Those look sweet
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Two thumbs up!! So awesome to see people being innovative and looking at different ways to get the suspension to work. What are your anticipated bump and droop numbers?
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

Looks good ! It looks like you are using older 78/79 style uprights and spindle combo on there? The ttb pieces look a little small after working with the 79 stuff so long. I was planning the same for my project.

Ken
gunit

Post by gunit »

MOSS2 wrote: Looks good ! It looks like you are using older 78/79 style uprights and spindle combo on there? The ttb pieces look a little small after working with the 79 stuff so long. I was planning the same for my project.
Ken
Ken,

I am using these uprights:
IMG_0497_600x400.JPG
IMG_0497_600x400.JPG (189.82 KiB) Viewed 17612 times
IMG_0498_600x400.JPG
IMG_0498_600x400.JPG (171.21 KiB) Viewed 17612 times
IMG_0500_600x400.JPG
IMG_0500_600x400.JPG (196.09 KiB) Viewed 17612 times
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

When Extending lower Ball Joints for a C&T Beam set up. How far is the lower Ball Joints moved on the D44 Ends?
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk