Start Your Go-Fast Build-Front Suspension

Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Re: Start Your Go-Fast Build-Front Suspension

Post by Nick »

[HBW]22 wrote:Hey Would using f250 shock towers work just as good as shock towers? It seems I would have to move less under the hood.

Like this

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... ktower.htm
I've seen that done several times. Very similiar to what Billy1911 did on his truck. Hopefully he sees this, and posts some pics.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Post by Dezertbronco »

BajaDale wrote:Here are some we build at our shop, good for 4"-5" of lift. Stock width and we make them in three different styles,
-Street Beams, no truss.
-Prerunner beams, trussed
-Race beams, trussed & uni-balls

Dale PM me a price on a set of those. if you could include prices for all 3, and a price on arms as well.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
drj777
Bronco Info: 1986 5.0 XLT - bone stock w/ 4.56s

Post by drj777 »

ok...so i have been getting some conflicting information regarding my beginning setup.

i was gonna start simple with a set of DEAVER coils & leafs and some entry level bilsteins...then, in the future possibly upgrade to coilovers.

earlier today i was told that lifting the bronco 5+" is too tall for a "baja chase-runner"... :?:

but the more i poke around here, the more it seems like MOST folks go with the DEAVER setup.
naturally, i also planned on C/T beams, shackles, straps & extended radius arms to boot.

so, am i crazy...or do i need a 2nd & 3rd opinion? :roll:

drj
- exMDR volunteer / SCORE class 1 chaser / KOH #10 chaser -
-'86 FSB 5.0 XLT (4.56s / FL headers)
-'03 f150 S'crew 4x4 (4.56s / Detroit / Deavers)
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

drj777 wrote:ok...so i have been getting some conflicting information regarding my beginning setup.

i was gonna start simple with a set of DEAVER coils & leafs and some entry level bilsteins...then, in the future possibly upgrade to coilovers.

earlier today i was told that lifting the bronco 5+" is too tall for a "baja chase-runner"... :?:

but the more i poke around here, the more it seems like MOST folks go with the DEAVER setup.
naturally, i also planned on C/T beams, shackles, straps & extended radius arms to boot.

drj
4" is the most ideal for a true
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

drj777 wrote:ok...so i have been getting some conflicting information regarding my beginning setup.

drj
I'm going with the Deavers
drj777

Post by drj777 »

ok...so 4" is ideal...perhaps a DEAVER 4" setup?! :?

drj
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

The static height of the Deaver spring is taller than most but its also a softer rate. Once the Deavers settle they are very close in ride height to the other 4" springs like say Rancho or Superlift. If you decide on the Deavers limit straps are a great idea.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
drj777

Post by drj777 »

RyanDS650X wrote:The static height of the Deaver spring is taller than most but its also a softer rate. Once the Deavers settle they are very close in ride height to the other 4" springs like say Rancho or Superlift. If you decide on the Deavers limit straps are a great idea.
thats a BIG 10-4!!
thanks

drj
:mrgreen:
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

drj777 wrote:but the more i poke around here, the more it seems like MOST folks go with the DEAVER setup.
I don't keep track of what everyone is using, but coil selection seems to be all over the place. Start with figuring out what you want for ride-height and go from there.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
drj777

Post by drj777 »

thanks Steve!

the more folks i talk to - the more concise "the plan" is becoming...
ive learned there are quite a few differing opinions on this subject.

drj
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Its been said. That is the amount of lift is builders choice. Want an engineering input?
Answer is you want the truck to ride as low as possible and still take advantage of the TTB maximum travel. So what to do? Answers vary race vs chase/prerun. For chase/prerun sure is nice to have AC. So trim the heater and use 35s thrn relive the crossover joint and you get 18". Then adjust your dual rate coilovers and hydraulic bumps to allow the rt tire to just touch the fender liner. Many of us have that setup and none of us know what lift we have because it is not relavent. Its the best we can do.
For a racer then 37s are the deal and the heater and AC are gone. The racers have more engineering changes like lowering the engine and moving it back and altering the WB Of course all within the rules which is =/- 2". The racers gets the crossover steering as well. The rear gets the ultimate mod for coilovers and links just like Dave Moore did.
Both setups require a prerunner bumper so no issue with the stock bumper.
PaulW
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Good comments, Paul.

Here is some more info to keep in mind. These comments are referring to Ranger 2wd kits. The effects are not as dramatic on a Bronco but the same principles apply.
Autofab wrote:A lot of folks ask us if we can align the beams for a 5" lift for 2WD trucks. That much more camber correction is not safe to do in my professional opinion. Also more camber correction causes the beam to be shorter in length. This affects how much room you have for shocks and springs etc. Plus you create tire turning clearance problems. We have plans for a 6" but it will involve custom beams and tubular radius arms and, don't forget, definitely cost more.
Taken from here: http://www.autofab.com/econo2wd.htm

For me it would come down to tire size. A 33" tire will not require as much lift and clearance as a 35 will.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

3-4" of height in the front should give you plenty of bump travel, which is important for a nice and safe ride. Unless you linked in the back, the rear will limit your speed before the front will.

Even if you are linked the drive shaft will become the limiting factor. I don't know what you guys prefer but I'd rather bottom the front out and hit it's limits before the rear suspension. The rear bucking and kicking is the most difficult situation to drive out of.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
drj777

Post by drj777 »

philofab wrote:3-4" of height in the front should give you plenty of bump travel, which is important for a nice and safe ride. Unless you linked in the back, the rear will limit your speed before the front will.

Even if you are linked the drive shaft will become the limiting factor. I don't know what you guys prefer but I'd rather bottom the front out and hit it's limits before the rear suspension. The rear bucking and kicking is the most difficult situation to drive out of.
thanks, good info!

drj
Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Post by Joxracing »

Nick wrote:
[HBW]22 wrote:Hey Would using f250 shock towers work just as good as shock towers? It seems I would have to move less under the hood.

Like this

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... ktower.htm
I've seen that done several times. Very similiar to what Billy1911 did on his truck. Hopefully he sees this, and posts some pics.

This is what i did, the do provide a good base. The only problem i had was the camps on my FOA's would rub against the tower, which required some grinding. The bold hole is also to small, and needs to be drilled a size bigger.
84fsb
Bronco Info: 1984 FSB 351W,stock suspension at the moment. looking to upgrade

Post by 84fsb »

I already have rancho old style straight radius arms and 4inch lift springs. Can I use them for a c/t setup? rancho arms,springs,c/t beams,bilstien 5100's,extended brake lines and limiting straps.

my bronco isnt going to be a prerunner persay but i would like it to handle well on dirt roads 25-30mph without bashing me to death. I am considering c/t because of the ground clearance and if i ever decided to go full prerunner i will have a good base lift to start with(minus the rear leaves). any imput is greatly appreciated
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

There is no reason why they cannot be used even with a C&T. Others here have done the same thing.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

damon1272 wrote:There is no reason why they cannot be used even with a C&T. Others here have done the same thing.
====
Correct, however if used like the rest of us, say in the San Felipe whoops, the Radius arms will need plating and beef up. Even the mild steel ones built by the pros have bent them with mild steel and full plating.
PaulW
DirtFiend602
Bronco Info: 86' go faster

Post by DirtFiend602 »

PaulW wrote:
damon1272 wrote:There is no reason why they cannot be used even with a C&T. Others here have done the same thing.
====
Correct, however if used like the rest of us, say in the San Felipe whoops, the Radius arms will need plating and beef up. Even the mild steel ones built by the pros have bent them with mild steel and full plating.
PaulW

These are superlift arms that I got from SteveG ( thanks Steve :)), and I boxed and plated them, the truck will most definitely be abused, so we'll see how they hold up. they are being run with stock width cut and turns.
convoy

Post by convoy »

philofab wrote:3-4" of height in the front should give you plenty of bump travel, which is important for a nice and safe ride. Unless you linked in the back, the rear will limit your speed before the front will.
3"-4" over stock would put you where, in respect to full bump contact?