coil buckets

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: coil buckets

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

thanks nick. nah he didnt know what he was really doing i dont think. I'm not sure. But for the price, ill make it work. when i get them mounted (not sure when) would you like me to let you know?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
hobbyturnedobsession

hey jeremy, if its cool, id still like to swing by and take a look at your setup, it may help me with my truck.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:hey jeremy, if its cool, id still like to swing by and take a look at your setup, it may help me with my truck.
Absolutely...I am on the ship this week as i said just call me. I will be trying to get out for a few hours soon I nee dot get the bronco out to adjust my shocks before we race this month not sure when I am going to find the time though haha. I will le tyou know when i go if you want to head out with me when I go. May be as early as the 5th since i will have the day off.
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

Hey Tony, thanks again, I went and picked up the coil buckets yesterday for $100. Didn't need the coils, he still has them.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Hey Tony, thanks again, I went and picked up the coil buckets yesterday for $100. Didn't need the coils, he still has them.

Wow!! Smokin deal for $100 bucks!! Let see some better pictures of them!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Even if you had to cut the shock mounts and start from scratch, the bare buckets are worth more than $100. Nice score.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Those buckets look like they are designed for a 14" shock in front of the beam with a cross bar. Did they come with the cross bar? It's fairly important to keep the frame rail where the bucket is mounted from twisting due to the leverage a long shock creates.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
hobbyturnedobsession

It didnt come with the crossbar, but it has the mounting points on the top of both of them for one so all I have to do is run the tube from one side to the other with a bushing and bolt it up. I'll post some pics when I get home tonight. They hardly look used. The only thing is, I need to come up with some sort of clip or adjuster to make sure the coil stays in. I was thinking of using the same design as the bottom of the coil. the washer and a bolt.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:The only thing is, I need to come up with some sort of clip or adjuster to make sure the coil stays in. I was thinking of using the same design as the bottom of the coil. the washer and a bolt.
I posted how I approached this problem here: http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 3&start=40
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:It didnt come with the crossbar, but it has the mounting points on the top of both of them for one so all I have to do is run the tube from one side to the other with a bushing and bolt it up. I'll post some pics when I get home tonight. They hardly look used. The only thing is, I need to come up with some sort of clip or adjuster to make sure the coil stays in. I was thinking of using the same design as the bottom of the coil. the washer and a bolt.
Use a solid tube for the cross bar, not a urethane or rubber bushing. Any flex will eventually make cracks on the bucket or frame/crossmember.
hobbyturnedobsession

solid tube across the engine, then cut a piece of tube to the width of the bucket mount, then run a bolt through it, do not use a bushing in the mounting tube? I think I got the idea. The piece of tube that mounts to the bucket will be like a piece of 1" with a hole the size of a bolt and bolt it in solid. What about some kind of clip for the spring?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:solid tube across the engine, then cut a piece of tube to the width of the bucket mount, then run a bolt through it, do not use a bushing in the mounting tube? I think I got the idea. The piece of tube that mounts to the bucket will be like a piece of 1" with a hole the size of a bolt and bolt it in solid. What about some kind of clip for the spring?
Yup. Bushings have been used for years in this application as well. I don't see a problem with it. I've had three trucks that used bushings here.

I think either method would be fine.
Attachments
Ollie's Bronco
Ollie's Bronco
DSC01821.JPG (76.76 KiB) Viewed 616 times
BajaF250
BajaF250
PC060017.JPG (37.04 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hobbyturnedobsession

Thanks Steve. The top pic of that cross bar was what I was talkin about. Also, I looked at your thread. In my coil buckets they already have the guide like the stock buckets for the inside of the coil. I just need to keep the coil from comin out, seeing how you did that, I'm thinkin that I could do something along that line. The shock mount just has two tabs, so I'm thinkin about cutting those off and rewelding some beefier tabs in place. Would it matter as much because of the truck not being coil overed?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I wouldn't cut anything off until they're mounted. Assuming they're in the right place and properly welded they should hold up fine.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hobbyturnedobsession

Good thinking, I need lots of input. My first bronco build.
hobbyturnedobsession

also too, I'll post a few pics of the coil buckets when I post some pics of my truck tonight.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

I prefer a small u-bolt to retain the coil. Easy as your local hardware store and two holes drilled per side.
hobbyturnedobsession

Thats a smart idea, I think that will more than work for me thanks philo.