TTB coil-over spring rates/lengths

outlaws4x4
Bronco Info: Im building a class 6 race truck with a TTB front end.

Re: TTB coil-over spring rates/lengths

Post by outlaws4x4 »

Well after a day of head scratching and measuring iv come up with the following results base on a couple of changes.

First change was my droop% i don't think i worked it out correctly before. your meant to measure the amount of shock shaft showing at ride height then subtract it from you shock size and then work out the percentage right? i.e if i have 5" of shaft showing @ ride height on a 16" shock it would be, 16-5=11 then (11/16)x100=68.75%

Second change was i am going to have to change the rear trailing arm shock mounts and the upper rear shock mounts.

With all this in mind i came up with 400/600 for the front and 500/750 for the rear.

will just have to see how that goes, hardest thing is suspension geometry and coil spring rates can be very very complex and depending on who you talk to you will get different answers. my mates pro buggy is way off when compared to the calculator. so makes you wonder if its worth bothering with "the calculators"and just have a stab in the dark and fine tune it later as it might feel good for you or it might be load of rubbish you wont know until you try it.

cheers
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

I think it's rather pointless to talk about spring rates without including the geometry of how and what they are mounted to. Things like length of radius arm, widened beams, and where the coilover is mounted can play a big role in how much force is presented to the spring for a given corner weight. And those corner weights vary a lot from build to build. What works on one truck may be way off on another.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

baja-chris wrote:I think it's rather pointless to talk about spring rates without including the geometry of how and what they are mounted to. Things like length of radius arm, widened beams, and where the coilover is mounted can play a big role in how much force is presented to the spring for a given corner weight. And those corner weights vary a lot from build to build. What works on one truck may be way off on another.

Very good point Chris. just to bullet out your thoughts and add a few:
*Suspension Geometry
*Stock width vs Widened
*Shock angle
*Shock lean
*Corner Weight
*Cage vs Not
*Fiberglass vs Stock front end parts (impacts weight)
*Lower C/O mounts (top of beam, front of beam, or on radius arm)

Soo much to consider!!