suspension questions

Piyakoracing
Bronco Info: 357w, crower cam, modified tranny and heads, 35's grabbers, bilsteins 5100's, 4inch lift chronomolly

suspension questions

Post by Piyakoracing »

ok fellaz you guys got me. I was gona sell my bronco but I decided not to after I saw all the clean broncos you guys have and the time and efford you guys do on this projects. Kudos to all you guys
I have a bronco 94 with bilsteins and a 4 inch lift but wanted more travel. the Idea is to run coilovers in the front and bypass in the rear questions:
how many inches of travel can I get from the stock rear leaf springs with a bypass?
how long of a bypass should I need to run the stock leafsprings.
Deavers leafsprings can provide how many inches?
would I need a longer bypass shocks?
would a 3inch bypass make a difference?
in the front suspension how long of a coilover should I get?
would a 3inch shock make a better difference?
I wanted to know how to place pictures in this forum because I cant
Thanks
Alex
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: suspension questions

Post by Rmc »

My 2 cents, 3.0 bypasses will make a difference but what is your goal with your bronco? Going from stock leafs to deavers( depending on arch) will add a lot of additional travel ( with the right shackle combo) u can pull 20 inches. U can easily get 16 inches of front wheel travel out of 14's ( extended beams)and not too far below that with 12's. as far as the 3.0's, more oil= less shock fade due to larger oil volume, reduced operating temps and greater dampening. So if your planning on racing 3.0's are for u, if not a 2.5 is plenty for most offroaders. It's all based on your ultimate goal and budget.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

To place photos: click post reply, choose file, goto pics n select then hit preview to see if the file size is within max size, if files is too large u gotta crop it, or change its resolution.
wayfastwhitie
Bronco Info: 1989 4in lift billie 5100

Post by wayfastwhitie »

I use photo bucket and copy the img link and paste, way easier.
Piyakoracing
Bronco Info: 357w, crower cam, modified tranny and heads, 35's grabbers, bilsteins 5100's, 4inch lift chronomolly

Post by Piyakoracing »

im not planning to race or anything of that sort. Im only a spectator when I go to the SCORE Baja. my goal is to make a clean bronco that is reliable and can take me from My house to baja, view the races from different places and come back home. I saw Tony's Bronco and liked the way it looked.
no fiberglass just stock fenders
let me ask this
how can I get the most wheel travel without using fiberglass fenders I just like the look of the bronco's stock
Piyakoracing

Post by Piyakoracing »

Piyakoracing

Post by Piyakoracing »

Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Shit can drop brackets, cut and turned beams with a 12 or 14 inch coilover, single swing steering, under bed 2.5x10's with a threat, solo, or southwest upper shock mount. And 3 lift inch deavers with a 6 inch shackle I believe. Looks mostly stock at that point but will perform far from factory. Tony's bronc is bad ass also look at otters black n tan. Both are very clean, there's a lot of guys on here with bad ass rides but those are 2 I thought of first.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Oh ya also shit can stock radius arms n piviots, get extended hiemed or uniball radius arms with the replacement piviot brackets.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Are you planning on going fast (like 55-70 mph in the dirt) to the point where you'll need a cage or are you planning on just putting around?

I'm assuming that you want to keep it stock width while having great off road performance. Tony's Bronco used to have a Camburg kit before and something like that would work great for sure. The current suspension on his Bronco is much faster through the whoops but the cost is much higher too... plus it can get you into a bit of trouble if you're not ready to drive that fast without a cage. His brother's Bronco doesn't have fiberglass fenders and it doesn't have any tire rub issues.

I've got cut and turned beams with 4-inch pro comp coils now and it drives different from my old 6-Inch Skyjacker kit. Although I gained more control with cut and turned beams when sliding the truck and hitting whoops, I like the way the Skyjacker kit would handle turns. It wouldn't drift through sand washes but it didn't have as much body roll. That being said, it's much more fun to hit a fast stretch of dirt with baby whoops in it.
Piyakoracing

Post by Piyakoracing »

yes i'm planning to cage the bronco, what size of heim joints would I need to buy for the radius arms and what is a good website to find them. what about the limit straps what lenght would I need for the front and rear?
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

What u are planning to put together is not a kit. The front n rear suspensions must be cycled to figure out limit strap lengths. Where u mount them depends on the length. Your going to have to measure clearance at full tuck and droop to properly place the shocks and straps. remember average 1 inch of stretch per 12 inches, this of course depends on the unsprung weight. u gotta measure stretch too. As far as radius arm hiems 1 1/4. Or 1 inch uniballs with misalignment spacers to 3/4 would do. Where do u live?
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

My hiem pivot bolts might be 5/8 I can't remember. Just remember I'm quoting one of these guys by saying overkill is underrated :D
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

on race trucks or hardcore prerunners a 1.25" heim is typically used. You might be able to get away with a 7/8" heim on a light truck (ranger) that sees not so hardcore use, but I'm too chicken to try it on a heavier truck.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

My $.02, keep your end goal in check with your budget and when you think you figured out your budget, double it. Running out of money and motivatoin kills projects and buying what you want not what you need expedites that process.

I started out with the same set up as yours haha (94 Raptor Killer, check it out) I had drop bracket lift and 35s. I went straight into a full build and 2 years later Im still working on it.

I would start buy getting a heimed radius arm and a 2.5x 14/12 coil over, building a basic hoop in front. Get a set of deavers and 10/12" smoothies/ bypasses in the rear and have fun with it. You could go to C&T whenever you have the money. and think about a cage as you start scaring yourself.

Again just my $.02
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Makes a heck of a lot of sense! Souns about like my plan for the "next" built too. Too long have I build "building" stuff rather than driving it!
Piyakoracing

Post by Piyakoracing »

I live in Brawley Ca. I take my bronco down to mex for fab. I'm asking this questions because I havent had a chance to go to Mex to ask my Fabricator what are the sizes of the parts im gonna need. I;m about to put the trigger on some heims and the straps to stock on parts. I have some parts for the engine which has been recently reconstructed with a crower cam 15111 and some mustang heads. So before I build my suspension I'm gonna finish the engine first, after all the bronco has bilstein 5100 series all around.
here are some of the parts for the engine
Piyakoracing

Post by Piyakoracing »

when I bought this bronco I visualized it something like Tony's but on red. After seeying so many broncos on the web I really got lost and was aiming way high, after the bronco being just parked for a long time I'm gonna do my plan right and follow it
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Who in Mex. would you trust to do the fab?
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Sexy parts! If your gonna shoot for a ballpark strap for each side of the front I'd get 12 to 14's, u can move them toward the front of the truck if u need em shorter and toward the pivot if u need em longer. As far as the rear someone running 10 inch shocks would know better than I.