fiberglass tailgates

poolman
Bronco Info: 84 Bronco,Body off reconstruction. Auto Fab suspension,mix of 84-96 parts.

fiberglass tailgates

Post by poolman »

Anybody used one with any luck? Can you still use power windows?

I'm superdutyaz on Broncospeed
Intro to follow, gotta go get my kids! Thanks Nick!
84 Bronco 351W,C-6,9 Inch,Work in process
83 Bronco 302,C-6,8.8, beater for parts
94 Bronco roller for parts
91 F150 4x4for parts
96 Bronco for parts
84 Bronco for 351W
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: fiberglass tailgates

Post by SteveG »

According to John at Autofab, his tailgate retains all functionality of the stock gate. The only thing it can't do is support hundreds of pounds like the steel unit.

I think he said it shaves about 50lbs.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Blueblood

Post by Blueblood »

i have always like the idea of a glass TG, but the deceased weight that the glass TG can take kind of turned me off to the idea
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

For a race truck i totally understand having an fg tailgate. But on a chase/pit/play truck? I can't see it. You lose the total functionality of the gate. You can't stand on it, you cant throw things on it. Maybe re-think what you are packing back there to make up the extra 50 lbs.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Autofab wrote:Bronco Fiberglass Tailgate

Autofab has taken the time to reproduce the Bronco tailgate in fiberglass. I did this because after painting my Bronco about a year later the rust started coming through the paint down at the bottom of the tailgate. We sprayed all the right primers and sealers but still it came through. Ford did not do a good job with the lower part of the tailgate as it traps moisture and there isn't much you can do about it until now! Our tailgates weigh about 50 lbs less than stock and they will not rust!! Ever!! Of course you have to use some common sense and not sit or stand on it like you can get away with on a stock tailgate. A couple of kids ok but be reasonable about it. Also we do not recommend the factory tire mounting either. You could probably figure out a way to attach it but I wouldn't advise it. Remember we are promoting a serious offroad machine here and I have seen the stock tailgate rip and crack with the tire mount beating the crap out of everything including your bedside and tailight corners. What Ford was thinking is beyond me. With a stock wheel and tire and if you drive like an old lady it is ok but who uses stock tires and offroads their bronco? The way to mount the spare is like the jeep guys do off a custom rear bumper.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
nobronco

Post by nobronco »

poolman wrote:Anybody used one with any luck? Can you still use power windows?

I'm superdutyaz on Broncospeed
Intro to follow, gotta go get my kids! Thanks Nick!
Definitely and I would highly recommend it. Shaves a lot of weight too (just an added bonus)!
"Love your zone of discomfort!" the one who said it

Looking for a BRONCO, you know of one? Let me know please!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Autofab fiberglass tailgate????

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Has anyone put one of Autofab's fiberglass tailgate's on their Bronco?
They say it is 50 lbs lighter. Does it hold up to people sitting on it?
It is pretty pricey at $900.

SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I think Brian (Partybarge) is the one that said John let him jump up and down on his in Baja....
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

What's the benefit of a fiberglass tailgate really when rust free steel ones are literally all over the place? A 50# savings really isn't much. I would think that for $900 you could very very easily rebuild all the internals and then have a perfect base/clear paint laid down.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

He probably does not sell many of them. If it's a race bronco then no tailgate and if it's a prerunner or other then you probably want the roll up window to lock the gear up when the roof is on.
He did tell me they were strong enough to sit on or roll a tire over for loading gear.
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

This tail gate is one of my next upgrades on my Bronco. It is a very nice piece for sure. While $900 is expensive so is quality and I have never heard a single complaint about any of Autofab's quality so therefore it is worth the cost. Last time I was down there I talked to John extensively about the tail gate and determined I will buy one soon as I have time to install.
apache41
Bronco Info: 1995 Ford Bronco Solo Coilover front, Deaver Rear with Solo under bed shock bracket and hanger relo

Post by apache41 »

That's good to hear that you CAN sit on the TG, I was afraid that you could not even sit on it. I was considering a slide out shelf or something like that but it would be complicated and too heavy.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Put an 1/8" aluminum cover plate on them and you can stand/sit on them. Tire loading and unloading should not be an issue either. I have jumped up and down on John's LOL, it held up just fine. Also, they will not rust out in the corners.........