Coil [Bucket] Spring Oprions???

Rwies
Bronco Info: 93 Bronco

Coil [Bucket] Spring Oprions???

Post by Rwies »

SO I just got a set of Solo cut & turned beams along with their extended radius arms. I plan on using the existing coil bucket and building a shock hoop. Ive been told that a 5" spring would be ideal for this setup but I cant seam to find a 5" spring other then the deaver 5.5. What are you guys running... any reccomendations on brand?

Second question...What diameter tubing should I use to build the shock hoop 1.5 or 1 3/4 tubing? Mild steel or DOM? I have plenty of 1.5 mild .120 waiting to be used but wasn't sure if this would be sufficient enough.

Thanks
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Coil Spring Selection???

Post by SteveG »

1.5"x.120 mild will be fine as long as your design is good. DOM would be better, of course.

I use a 4" Skyjacker on mine. It works fine and sits fairly low, which is good... unless you're running 35 tires.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Might be a little shorter, but here is a Rancho spring on craigslist for cheap!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/1522559970.html
Jasonj105
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco, 5.8, C6

Post by Jasonj105 »

Im finishing up a dual shock hoop out of 1.5, using the stock coil bucket. I'll try and grab a few pics when I get home for you.
We Might As Well Give Up And Run, If We Let Them Take Our God And Guns
Rwies

Post by Rwies »

Thx guys..glad to hear i dont have to spend more $ on steel right now! Im running 33's but had future plans of going with 35's when they wear out.

Jason that would be awesome if you could post those pics when your finished!
Jasonj105

Post by Jasonj105 »

Heres what Im working on. Its more of an old school early bronco design, but I'm confident it will work for my needs.
Rwies

Post by Rwies »

looking good... thanks for adding the pics, this will help ne with my design! do you plan on adding a cross bar connecting the two shock hoops for support?
Jasonj105

Post by Jasonj105 »

It has a cross bar started (not pictured), and it mounts between the middle of the hoop and the front shock mount. That way it went about an inch in front of the throttle body linkage when its wide open. The hoop is bolt on so its easy to move out of the way.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

That's looking good Jason.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Rwies

Post by Rwies »

Orderd the coils today from JBG, I decided to go with the deaver 5.5's $160 not a bad deal but the S&H is what got me...total came out to $203.

Now I need to figure which leaf springs to run....Thinking either the Deaver F53 or the F64, any reccomendations. I heard the F53- would be a softer ride but would need a adapter for the half inch difference in leaf width.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

If you go with the F53s, Camburg sells the appropriate spacers to make up the difference.
David Kennedy

Post by David Kennedy »

I recomend the 3-inch wide Spring for the Bronco, they seem to control the vehicle sway much better than 2 1/2- inch wide springs.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

David Kennedy wrote:I recomend the 3-inch wide Spring for the Bronco, they seem to control the vehicle sway much better than 2 1/2- inch wide springs.
Different strokes for different folks. I run the 2.5" wide spring because I wanted more sway which I feel tracks the terrain better and results in better traction.
Rwies

Post by Rwies »

Decisions decisions

Hmm...well heres another question, what size shock would you guys reccomend if i want to got through the floor pan...I know 12 if i want to stay under. I want to get as much travel possible out of the leaf springs...."without breaking them" haha
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Rwies wrote:Decisions decisions

Hmm...well heres another question, what size shock would you guys reccomend if i want to got through the floor pan...I know 12 if i want to stay under. I want to get as much travel possible out of the leaf springs...."without breaking them" haha
16" or 18"
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I picked up those same coils from jbg and they work amazing. I'm pretty happy with the simple set up i have. nothing crazy but I will say that I went from some plain 6" to a set of 5.5" deaver coils and they were worth the 203 bucks. I'm looking into the 3" deavers because of the swaying issue. 4 wheel mag did a basic build on a bronco with I think it was the J40 springs. They said it worked out perfectly.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

whats the measurement from CL of hub to fender lip at ride height for 4" or 5.5"? I dont know what size springs I have but I would like to toss on a new set and have these as spares.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
hobbyturnedobsession

im not sure, i can find out but i do know that I'm running a 6" lift with 315/75 r 16's and they more than clear.
hobbyturnedobsession

also, check to see which mount your on on ur beam, the lower is the 6" the upper hole is the 4". i know that mine is on the lower mounting hole for the 6". the truck actually sits a little higher now.
Vintage Iron Fab
Bronco Info: I love the 94-96 FSB and the 66-77 Early Broncos

Post by Vintage Iron Fab »

What I am trying to understand is why buy a custom coil spring bucket?? Why not just simply take off the bucket-- clean or sandblast-- modify it to your choosing and then re-install with a gr8 bolt? Seems to me that you have to remove the factory bucket anyway-- and if you are at this level of suspension mod-- I am hoping you have a welder and can operate it.

Second-- is there a reason that when the inner fenders are gone you can't run a shock behind the coil? I just like the looks of it better for some odd reason.

Second-- coming from an Early Bronco background modifiying the steering joints is totally normal- whether that be a GM 1-ton design to a rod end-- do people with the FSB do this mod or are the bronco/f150 ends perfectly fine. What about putting the joints on top of the knuckles for more clearance, and decreased working angles.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Lane
Vintage Iron Fabworks
602-502-8945