4-link

Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Re: 4-link

Post by Dust »

This really is intriguing... I'd really like to see it work!
philofab wrote: Image
The attached is more what I'm leaning, to A CORR type design with the CO in where the BP is in this picture.
Attachments
dp50.JPG
dp50.JPG (178.47 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
Dust

Post by Dust »

I'm going to put my build on hold.
I doubt that anything I do is going to be enough, comes a point where you say, 'Why?'.
I've decided to complete my Rear Link design but at this point will not be pursuing it.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Dust wrote:The attached is more what I'm leaning, to A CORR type design with the CO in where the BP is in this picture.
You really don't want to do this. With as narrow as the Ford frames are, by the time you move the upper axle pivots in enough to clear the frame under articulation the angle on the uppers will be very bad. It will go through hiems like there going out of style........
Dust

Post by Dust »

BDKW1 wrote:
Dust wrote:The attached is more what I'm leaning, to A CORR type design with the CO in where the BP is in this picture.
You really don't want to do this. With as narrow as the Ford frames are, by the time you move the upper axle pivots in enough to clear the frame under articulation the angle on the uppers will be very bad. It will go through hiems like there going out of style........
IF I did it I would Back Half wouldn't be the first time for that, and not really difficult.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Dust wrote:This really is intriguing... I'd really like to see it work!
The attached is more what I'm leaning, to A CORR type design with the CO in where the BP is in this picture.
Any other pictures of that rear end with a pan hard? Works great on a rallye car with not so much travel...long travel I would love to see it cycle. Probably swings 4" side to side...imagine going through whoops with the ass going side to side up the ruts. Cool thinking.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

shockseals.com wrote:Any other pictures of that rear end with a pan hard? Works great on a rallye car with not so much travel...long travel I would love to see it cycle. Probably swings 4" side to side...imagine going through whoops with the ass going side to side up the ruts. Cool thinking.

Don't knock it till you've riden in it. If it was that much of an issue it would be a watts link instead. Remember how bad the geometry is on a beam truck and how well it works...

The point of this setup is for daily drivers that get smogged. It's much easier to pass when you have a stock fuel tank. It's also cheaper and simpler than a traditional four link.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

McNeil used to (maybe still does?) build linked Explorers with a pan hard bar. They were CRAZY in big whoops that used a lot of travel. I watched their infamous yellow Explorer flip end over end because of it. As soon as it hit the whoops it was like someone was pushing the car side to side. Geoff's pan pan hard is a lot longer than what I remember on the Explorer, so it's probably not as bad, but it's still going to move. I would think the key would be limiting travel before the lateral movement gets too extreme.

I do think it's a pretty cool design, though and am looking forward to seeing it completed. The one thing I wondered about is why he didn't just make a 3-link kit with an upper link that didn't extend from one frame rail to the other. With a well-designed cross member I think it would have been strong enough and would only require modifying the exhaust. The fuel tank could stay in place.

P.S. I should add that although I was never impressed by the fab work on the McNeil Explorer, I also watched it do pretty well through some rough stuff. I think it just handles differently and requires more forethought before attacking whoops.

P.S.S. Haha, I should also add that the above Explorer was long ago converted to a standard 4-link.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

An Explorer is a bit shorter than an extra cab Ranger. The shorter the vehicle the more your going to fell the affects of a panhard rod. The truck in the picture actually works quite well... enough that it managed to bend the equal length kit on the front. A sure sign that the front can't keep up with the rear.
Dust

Post by Dust »

Because the design exercise is interesting to me; If anyone knows...

Using Dan B's 4-link calculator.
What values would a well designed 4-link generate? AS, RC, etc...
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

philofab wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:Any other pictures of that rear end with a pan hard? Works great on a rallye car with not so much travel...long travel I would love to see it cycle. Probably swings 4" side to side...imagine going through whoops with the ass going side to side up the ruts. Cool thinking.

Don't knock it till you've riden in it. If it was that much of an issue it would be a watts link instead. Remember how bad the geometry is on a beam truck and how well it works...

The point of this setup is for daily drivers that get smogged. It's much easier to pass when you have a stock fuel tank. It's also cheaper and simpler than a traditional four link.

camber/caster/toe changing in the dirt through whoops when the wheels are just skimming the top of them is a lot less of a factor than your whole rear end moving side to side as it goes up and down. Geoff does some cool stuff. I want to see video.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Dust

Post by Dust »

shockseals.com wrote:
Dust wrote:This really is intriguing... I'd really like to see it work!
Any other pictures of that rear end with a pan hard? Works great on a rallye car with not so much travel...long travel I would love to see it cycle. Probably swings 4" side to side...imagine going through whoops with the ass going side to side up the ruts. Cool thinking.

The Vidz...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWgbtjEiEvg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFeLRd2WMzs
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Not as much movement as I would have thought. Doesnt seem to work any better than a leaf sprung truck though.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

shockseals.com wrote:Not as much movement as I would have thought. Doesnt seem to work any better than a leaf sprung truck though.
That truck has a 10" coil over and no bypass. I think it works quite well for the limited travel.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Quick question on lower link spread/location. When mounting the lower links below the tubes, does increased tire width, due to airing down, come into consideration?