Need Oil Cooler Recommendation

Hillbilly Heaven
Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 545 swap 6R80 D60 front and 10.5 rear. Use for expedition camping go fast when at home

Need Oil Cooler Recommendation

Post by Hillbilly Heaven »

Trying to decide which brand to buy and if it needs to be tube and fin or plate style.
Looking for something super rugged not one of those wimpy one size fits all trans coolers. This needs to be an Engine Oil Cooler.
toddz69

Re: Need Oil Cooler Recommendation

Post by toddz69 »

I would always recommend a stacked plate style for nearly any cooler on a vehicle.

Todd Z.
CrazyBRONCOguy
Bronco Info: 1992 and a 1978

Post by CrazyBRONCOguy »

I have heard good things about the new(ish) stock super duty coolers re-purposed for this reason.

Were you looking to remote mount with electric fan or in-front / behind radiator? I like the e-fan option as I can override them either way on or off. it gets cold enough in Indiana that overcooling maybe an issue.
'92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Roller 357W, AFR 165's, MAF, SCT Tuned, 4.10's
'78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, 8 Point Cage, 4.10's
Hillbilly Heaven
Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 545 swap 6R80 D60 front and 10.5 rear. Use for expedition camping go fast when at home

Post by Hillbilly Heaven »

I was thinking of mounting in front of the radiator. An oil cooler thermostat will eliminate the over-cooling concern. I like the thermostat from Earl's because it is a billet flat block not a cast piece.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Stats on engine and trans seems to be a pretty good idea. However my take is the stock ford engine setup probably is pretty good and sure has more engineering than any aftermarket setup. The trans is another issue because these vintage trannys do not incorporate a stat like the newer models.
Don't let these comments discourage you from doing an engine stat.
I have the cast Al Thermocool on two rigs for my ATF. So far I have been ignoring the lack of an engine stat/cooler. Maybe I should revisit that concern? Anybody have any temp data?
Agree there are several higher end units out there that are billet construction. All use a similar cartridge to operate. One has to pay dearly for a pretty unit that has the exact function as the basic unit.
Anyway considering the cost vs value and the Thermocool works as advertised. Come with instructions for several plumbing suggestions that need to be studied.
When I did my research I found that many aircraft builds were using the Thermocool with no issues (for engine temp control).
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Cooler choice is best left to data on pressure drop compatible for the flow you motor will supply. Some tube units that have internal turbulators are probably OK, but I second the choice for a plate cooler with at least 6 fins per inch between the plates. They are widely available and plate cooler are inherently low pressure drop, even for the many configurations like the manifold/plate versions as well as the intergal plate design. I have a bunch of Ford takeoffs from older trucks and they are solid units, but do not have fins. The Bronco HD cooling trany cooler is much better with all it fins. These are passive coolers (no blower).