Stock width beams and glass

JonMac31
Bronco Info: 1994, 351w, 2.5x12" Sway-Away (500/600#), Deaver J40 w/ Camburg ext. Shackle/Bilstein 5100 14"

Post by JonMac31 »

Hey guys,

I have been searching and talking back and forth on fiberglass fenders/bedsides for a while now. And I am not sure which I should do. I have deaver 5.5" coils up front with a 10" 7100 bilstein on Camburg coil buckets.
I have stock width beams, running a homemade drop bracket (previous owner did it) and I am running 35's. I have had to trim some areas of the inner fender liner and still need to trim some more, but is glass needed for stock width beams?
A lot of people have said if you have stock width beams, then don't buy glass, but instead save your money and put it towards something else. How much trimming needs to be done before the justification for glass is appropriate?

In the rear I have deaver J40's, camburg extended shackles, and will be running bilstein 5100's 14" shocks. I have not been able to test ride yet, due to a bad pinion angle, so I don't know if I will be rubbing in the rear or not.
With stock leafs and horrible rough country shocks, I was rubbing a little bit. Will I need to widen my bedsides in order to compensate for bump?

What are your guy's thoughts/experiences with this?

Thank you!
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Re: Stock width beams and glass

Post by RyanDS650X »

Do you have aftermarket wheel with a large offset?
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
JonMac31
Bronco Info: 1994, 351w, 2.5x12" Sway-Away (500/600#), Deaver J40 w/ Camburg ext. Shackle/Bilstein 5100 14"

Post by JonMac31 »

I believe they are aftermarket wheels, the PO painted them so there is no indication of the type. I have 35x12.5xR15 - which is pretty standard for 35's I think?
As far as offset goes, I don't think so.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Sounds like you need to find a set of stock Alcoas. These should be cheap to find, much less than buying and installing fenders. I'm not a fan of any truck with stock with and flared fenders. Money is definitely spent better else where

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Post some pics of where you are trimming. Do you have bumpstops? I get a rub at full bump on the backside of the fender but i have rubber control arm bushings that need to be replaced.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
JonMac31

Post by JonMac31 »

Ryan I will post pics when I get off work. In the front of the truck, so far I have had to trim my fender liner along the backside of the wheel well (behind the tire) - both sides (driver & pass).
I also think on full bump it hits the top of the wheel well (although not entirely sure).

For the rear, I need to trim the front of the wheel well (in front of the tire) because that is where it rubs when getting tucked. I also notice it rubbing on the upper back side of the wheel well. That probably doesn't make sense, but I will explain it when I have pictures.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

You can always take out the inner fender. You will have to find a way to support everything else under the hood. Autofab makes some stock appearing fenders that have larger openings.
JonMac31

Post by JonMac31 »

Tchajagos wrote:You can always take out the inner fender. You will have to find a way to support everything else under the hood. Autofab makes some stock appearing fenders that have larger openings.
Well I thought about taking the inner fender out but I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of relocating things just yet. I also like the idea of having some sort of protection when it comes to wet/muddy conditions.
Since it is only behind the front tire that rubs, I was thinking of trimming the inner fender liner as-needed and then stretching up and tucking it into the fender itself. Then just kind of grind away the metal fender pieces in the way.
I could even cut the fender itself to make it more of a curved transition into the door instead of a 90 degree sort of thing. But i'm not sure.
Attachments
After cut
After cut
img3.png (236.41 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Before cut (passenger front) - the black fender flare is gone now.
Before cut (passenger front) - the black fender flare is gone now.
img2.png (271.65 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

A lot of people do trim that rear section and push the inner fender up. You might want to set the bump stops so they hit before your tire bashes into the inner fender.
JonMac31

Post by JonMac31 »

Tchajagos wrote:A lot of people do trim that rear section and push the inner fender up. You might want to set the bump stops so they hit before your tire bashes into the inner fender.
That's the other thing I was thinking of doing as well. Trim it up as much as possible and then set bump stops. I was cycling the suspension and I can tuck it quite a way before it hits and begins rubbing. The 10" bilstein 7100 I have is 26.06" extended and 16.03" collapsed. I can get that shock to collapse to around 18" I believe? (don't have my measurements with me) before it begins rubbing badly. So maybe set bumps around 19-20" collapsed just before it begins rubbing.
What do you think?