Solo radius arm pivots

cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Solo radius arm pivots

Post by cwrisley »

For guys running Solo pivots, I'm installing mine today and the shop is closed. Rear hole on the pivot to the front hole under the frame? I think that's what Bobby told me!! I don't wanna drill 5 holes wrong!!
Dezertzoro2
Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco, Solo Motorsports Built

Re: Solo radius arm pivots

Post by Dezertzoro2 »

Yes. Sorry we are closed all weekend. Of the two symmetrical factory holes on the bottom side of the frame chase the front hole out to half-inch. Bolt that to the rear hole of our pivot next to the letter S. Throw a little black paint in the area. Then bolt it up. there's your guide for your other four holes. Good luck. Paul solo Motorsports
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Now that is service!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Thanks Paul! Appreciate the info and best customer service out there!
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Solo radius arm pivots

Post by Tchajagos »

Haha I was going to mention that in the post I said about the heims. I called him with the same question.
cwrisley

Solo radius arm pivots

Post by cwrisley »

Along the same topic... I'm getting some resistance from the pivot bolts. The pic is where the nut has stopped. Impact gun can't move it any further, and my arms certainly cant! I tried both bolts provided, same result both sides. Dafuq am I doing wrong here?! lolImage
birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Solo radius arm pivots

Post by birdco85 »

You probably seized it. Fine thread doesn't like impact. I've done it before. If you can't get them to come off then you'll need to cut and but new.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

I can take them off. The threads aren't all boogered up and look good. I'm just guessing that the stover is trying to cut into a BIG grade 8 bolt and not liking it. Cordless impact gave up, air impact doesn't want to cooperate. Thanks Harbor Freight.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

That looks like coarse thread - not fine, and my thought is the stover is the issue, but at this point I'd be installing new/different bolts & stovers. I'd go to fine thread personally if those are not, but that's not a critical change.

This should be something easily doable by hand with a ratchet with a decent length (10"-12") handle.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Yeah Steve, they are coarse. I got the nut off by hand with a big cheater bar. Threads still look undamaged. I'm gonna pick up some nylock nuts and try that route. The stovers are proving to be a pain. Thanks for the help fellas.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Solo radius arm pivots

Post by cs_drums »

Key word: harbor freight haha. I have 3 impacts two professional quality and one Home Depot special. I have my compressor at 120psi and the hd one doesn't do shit. Get yourself a quality impact. A good one will last you forever
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

And if you get a quality impact - eBay is muuuuuch cheaper than a tool truck typically. I love scoring high quality tools for super cheap there.

Chris - I'd try a couple new stovers & new bolts. I've never run into the issue you are describing on a stover, so it may be a bad batch or something.

If you want to find a better price on the bolts - try www.allensfasteners.com they are typically cheaper even with the cost of shipping than a local hardware store & you'll have the bolts in a day or 2.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Those bolts are fine and the stover is a coarse. Heres my thing on fine and coarse-- FUCK FINE THREAD!! In theory the fine is technically stronger but the durability of fine is terrible and is so easily screwed up. My logic while I am totally skewed is this-- if the threads on a NASCAR wheel stud are a coarse thread then so can everything else. The fine thread can hold more supposedly but when you see threads into aluminum they are almost always coarse. The threads are just more durable. Almost all the threads into an engine are coarse thread, that and you combine a coarse thread, a stover and some blue Loctite if you want-- its not coming off-- you put red on there-- theres not a snowballs chance in hell a RA pivot bolt is coming out with a torch and some muscle!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Why are you saying the bolts are fine thread when the pic & the owner say it's coarse.

I don't have near the issue with fine thread as you do.
rdcjuanb
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco parked in garage. Long term project.

Post by rdcjuanb »

Maybe he is using camouflage washers so it just looks like a gap but is really tight. ha ha
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Solo radius arm pivots

Post by cs_drums »

I use all fine thread and have never had issues. I'm ocd, fin thread, stover and red locktite. Marked and checked every outing. Nuts and bolts shouldn't be an issue. Get an impact and since them suckers down and run it!!
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I jumped the gun -- I bet those nuts were fine thread -- and the impact hammered them on there and eventually got all bound up. I just hate fine thread and wont use it.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
-JD5353-
Bronco Info: 1992 EB, current build, 44/50 beams, 10.5 axle, 6BT swap, gofast

Post by -JD5353- »

A fine thread nut would not go on that far or at all easily, and wouldn't come off easily with no physical damage. There is a very obvious difference between course and fine thread, so Im not sure why that keeps coming up.... my guess is a overly crushed stover nut.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

For clarification, neither were fine thread. Nylocks and Loctite took care of the situation.
@cwriz