Bump Stop length

apache41
Bronco Info: 1995 Ford Bronco Solo Coilover front, Deaver Rear with Solo under bed shock bracket and hanger relo

Bump Stop length

Post by apache41 »

How do you determine what length bump stop to use ? Should both front and rear be the same. Is it mainly just mounting location or is there a formula or theory to figuring it out ?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Bump Stop length

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

We talking hydraulic bumps I would assume? Vs. rubber or more standard type bump stops??

Either way it's really mounting location.

For hydraulic ones like Fox, King, etc.:
The length like the shorties people use are there due to packaging or fitment constraints, and no, front & rear don't have to be the same.
Cycle your suspension and set the bumps where you want the suspension to stop. Make mounts there for the bumps. That is an overly simplistic way of explaining it, but is pretty much what you do.
apache41
Bronco Info: 1995 Ford Bronco Solo Coilover front, Deaver Rear with Solo under bed shock bracket and hanger relo

Post by apache41 »

Sorry, yes hydraulic bumps. I am considering FOA 2.5" I read some articles on other sites, and looked at a lot of the GFB rigs but I did not know if there was a methodology to picking the length. Thanks for the input. Not many GFB's in Pennsylvania.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Bump Stop length

Post by cs_drums »

The main reason people use shorter than the standard 4" is if there isn't a sufficient amount of bump travel before you engage the bumpstops.

If you only have a few inches of up travel before bumps engage then it is gonna ride choppy cause you'll run into the heavy valving of the bump to soon.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

That would be a bummer to only have 4" of bump travel.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Without a lot of ride height many ttb/I-beam trucks have that issue David. That's why many of them ride so dang high, so they can get more bump travel. The beams hit the frame pretty darn quick on these trucks.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

I never had an issue with hitting the frame with the modified Rancho kit. I have not finished my new front setup with OEM TTB pivots yet, so we shall see. I have fox 2.0"x4" for the front and rear but I need to finish the +3 beams before I set the front stops. We shall see.

On my 2wd 1981 F100 I Beam, I had 7" of bump travel and 14 " of total travel. On that I had a 4" poly bump stops that worked well. That is my frame of reference.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Adding width can help the issue & dropped pivots definitely help the issue.

On your '82 with a 4" hydro bump you'd have 3" of up travel before hitting the bump. this goes into what Brian was saying above.
Wrightracing.net

Bump Stop length

So would it be better to run poly bump stops it cases with limited up travel?

Back when I had the F100 was in the late 80's and early 1990's. Back then the debate was poly versus rubber. I tried both and the Poly with opening in the center worked really well, but we did not have the hydraulic bump stops as a option back then.

I had something similar the these.

RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

I've got those currently and have had no problems.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Bump Stop length

Post by cs_drums »

I'd just the 4" bumps, you can always shorten the strike from there unless your worried about packaging.
apache41

Post by apache41 »

On the rear the package will get pretty tight, I do have a about 9 inches of bump travel at ride height. The front is easier to package but again I only have about 8 inches of bump, so is 4 inches or so ok to use the 4" or would it ride better on the 2" bump ?