Jack and jack skid question

Redgrom
Bronco Info: 96 bronco 351 and way to many future plans

Post by Redgrom »

Need to find a jack and skid combo for the bronco, was thinking about the harbour freight 2 ton and a skid from solo or maybe DMZ. Just curious if I should consider the 2.5 ton or any other jack skid plates. Would like a mounting option and to be able to use it for my Tacoma aswell till the bronco build ramps up. But currently don't have anything in the bronco and don't like the high lift for the taco.
Thanks!
Brent
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have heard the HF jacks are ok as long as you put thread lock on all the nuts and bolts.

I personally have a Craftsman 2.5 ton aluminum jack, that has been great for the past 10 years.

As for the skid, Solo is good, but if you can weld and cut metal, then just make your own. Simple design will work.
Redgrom
Bronco Info: 96 bronco 351 and way to many future plans

Re: Jack and jack skid question

Post by Redgrom »

As far as cutting up some metal I've got a decent chop saw but don't own a welder or the ability to lay down a remotely decent bead so sadly that's out. Do most people use a extension for the jack?
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Take a look at the pro - eagle jack... comes with a skid as well as a pad extension
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

It's a little pricey at $250 but is solidly built
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

With my 35" tires, the Craftsman Jack, I did not need a extension, but with my new 37" tires, I might need to make one.
keenanduran1
Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco. 1992 F150

Post by keenanduran1 »

I have the Pittsburgh 3 ton from harbor freight. You can find coupons all day.
nubreed71
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Post by nubreed71 »

Damn, that pro eagle setup looks pretty slick. Anyone wanna buy my Harbor Freight jack with C4 Skid/mount and extension?

robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

They offer 2 different size extensions too
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

If you have an onboard air system, why not use an airbag jack?
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

My answer to that Will is real estate...airbag jacks take up a lot of ground...if you are just changing a tire or getting out of soft stuff they'd probably work fine but if you need to repair something near the jacking point you'd have a hard time getting close...not to mention the volume of air required to fill it...if you have a compressor that's one thing but if you have an air tank...There that goes
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

My preference is mechanical jacks, but those have their problems in severe conditions as well. Have had trouble with the hydraulic floor jacks, especially the HF units when they get turned upside down and then have to be bled. I also dislike the skids because they can's slide when you get to the upper lift and the pad is moving horizontal in reference to the ground.

Since you mentioned air compressors, this is a pretty good unit.

http://slime.com/346/products/2x-pro-se ... tor-40026/

At 22 amps it is NOT a cigarette lighter plug in, you have to right to the battery. It does a good job, will reach all 4 corners, and comes in a decent case.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

My buddy and I run 5000# scissor jacks for leveling RVs. You need to make a skid plate for the bottom and a lift pad but the are cheap, light and work great. He was working on a kit for them but I'm not sure where he is at on them.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re:

Post by dtbback »

robertcrav wrote:My answer to that Will is real estate...airbag jacks take up a lot of ground...if you are just changing a tire or getting out of soft stuff they'd probably work fine but if you need to repair something near the jacking point you'd have a hard time getting close...not to mention the volume of air required to fill it...if you have a compressor that's one thing but if you have an air tank...There that goes
I didnt think about the potentially lost real estate when using an air bag jack. You're correct though I'd definitely be using acompressor and tank system. Heres a link to the one I had in mind. Its capable of 17" of lift at full extension.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/116288 ... _jack.html
birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Post by birdco85 »

Why not a Humvee jack? I bought one and it's awesome. The govt doesn't put weight capacities on them so I'm assuming they are 5 ton. They lift to around 22"
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

How much are they?
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

https://colemans.com/shop/military-vehi ... ssor-jack/
Shipping is kind of a lot but for less than $80 it's at your door. I'm going to buy the swag off road bottle jack adapter for the pin on the top. Or weld a land for the pin on each corner of the axles. Haven't decided yet. Mine came with a nice carry bag that has a separate pouch for each tool so there is zero rattling. I just tied it down with a cambuckle.
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

Also they have a gear reduction of about 2.5:1 so it takes a bit too get it to full height, which you should never need, but a consideration. I know people on pirate have welded a Lug nut on then so they can use their impact. I'm not sure if the constant hammering would be damaging the planetary set in the reduction box though.
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

Those are cool...what is the lowest compressed height? Will it slide under the axle or beam if you get a flat?
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

It's like 3 inches collapsed, including the pin. It's pretty awesome to me. No hydraulic failures, no compressed air failures, has a sand pad already welded in place, tools included, and takes up less space than a floor jack. It takes a little more physical effort though.