Extending O2 sensor conductors

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Extending O2 sensor conductors

Post by 1Hondalover »

For a 96 if it matters.....has anyone ever done it or seen it done?

Some new headers Tri-Y so the bung needs to be at the bottom a bit further than O.E.
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Re: Extending O2 sensor conductors

Post by LvSteve »

If I remember correctly

The resistance changes when you lengthen the wire. Bosch makes a universal 02 sensor . Something like this ! I did not like it seamed very cheap and poor fit at the plug ..https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/univer ... gKoN_D_BwE

For my long tube headers, I use 2001 Crown Vic 02 sensor's they fit and the calibration worked.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Thanks for the reply. The Vic parts would be an easy solution.....any idea how much longer they are in actual dimension?

427 E4OD is exactly where I'm headed, so if it works for you then should for me I guess.

Been reading a bunch on the Net. From hillbillies with some building wire as extensions with a crimp tool or soldering iron to folks using catalogued extensions like these:

https://www.bbkperformance.com/ford-bbk ... 86-10.html

Then others say the calibration will be off if the conductor is changed aka resistance changed.

Then others say moving the sensors further away from the heads will sense cooler air and calibration off.

Hoping for Vic parts.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

So, from my understanding, the O2 sensor is supposed to have the bung mounted a specific distance from the head. On long tube headers, is that original distance before the collector? Then does that mess up your calibration if the new header bung is further away from the head than the original bung.

As for extending wires, I would be concerned with those pre made connections on those Extensions getting resistance in them over time on an off road vehicle. It happens all the time on electrical connection's under the vehicles exposed to mud, dirt and sand.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Jim,

You can probably find another sensor with longer leads.

That said, I would extend it on the harness side. Use a high-end connector like Deutsch or comparable. I don't think you'd see any issues.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Howdy Steve long time.....hope all is well.

I've ordered the 01 Vic sensors to see how much longer they are, but I need to figure out the bung location on new headers before I can commit.

But I can't find catalogued headers to fit both the raised port AFR 205 heads and fit the Bronco.

No budget this round for custom headers.

I'll figure it out and post the results.
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

I'm running Accufab Headers. On AFR heads.
Talk with George @ https://accufabracing.com/home0 .. the Brand is RCI

I use the Mid Length Header configuration.... http://www.rciheaders.com/uploads/1/2/4 ... 2_orig.jpg

I had to change the collector drop on the drivers side. Also had to clearance the pass frame rail

PS on the Accufab headers your oem 02 sensor will fit. Long tube headers use the Crown Vic 02 sensors