FITech EFI system questions?

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

FITech EFI system questions?

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Hey guys,
Has anyone done the FItech system on anything. I am thing of puting one on my stroker small block 408.

The other question I have is, if I get a FItech Main street 800, can it be de-tuned while I am waiting to do more upgrades? Or would a 600 be a better choice?Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Re: FITech EFI system questions?

Post by hollandermotorsports »

I destroyed a 408w in less than 10 miles on Fitech. If doing any injection I highly recommend port injection. My motor leaned out a few cylinders. Lesson learned do not put a $500 management system on a $10k motor. On that bronco I installed carb and it runs great still 5000+ miles later.
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

I’m gonna be running the Edelbrock pro flo 4 system on my new Moruzzi motor build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

hollandermotorsports wrote:I destroyed a 408w in less than 10 miles on Fitech. If doing any injection I highly recommend port injection. My motor leaned out a few cylinders. Lesson learned do not put a $500 management system on a $10k motor. On that bronco I installed carb and it runs great still 5000+ miles later.
What transmission are you running in your Bronco, Brandon?

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

My thing is I want injection, but want simple self tuning. I have heard good things from Norra 1000 guys running FItech on a 351w and a 429 a couple years ago. So that was my frame of reference so far. I am body swapping my Bronco to a Early Bronco, so I want to ditch the stock EFI when I put the 408 in the Bronco.

Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Wrightracing.net wrote:My thing is I want injection, but want simple self tuning. I have heard good things from Norra 1000 guys running FItech on a 351w and a 429 a couple years ago. So that was my frame of reference so far. I am body swapping my Bronco to a Early Bronco, so I want to ditch the stock EFI when I put the 408 in the Bronco.

The Pro Flo 4 system is an injection system.

hollandermotorsports

Andy Jones wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:48 pm
hollandermotorsports wrote:I destroyed a 408w in less than 10 miles on Fitech. If doing any injection I highly recommend port injection. My motor leaned out a few cylinders. Lesson learned do not put a $500 management system on a $10k motor. On that bronco I installed carb and it runs great still 5000+ miles later.
What transmission are you running in your Bronco, Brandon?

That bronco has a C-6.

New Bronco is C-6 as well.
Wrightracing.net

Ya, I have seen those and the Holly Sniper EFI system. One other thing I want to make sure is to keep the motor high down with running the 408w under a stock Early Bronco hood.

I have been running a AOD trans with my 302 motor, but I have a C6 for the 408w. I have considered taking the AOD to Steve Culhane to build it to handle the 408w power and torque.

Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Wrightracing.net wrote:Ya, I have seen those and the Holly Sniper EFI system. One other thing I want to make sure is to keep the motor high down with running the 408w under a stock Early Bronco hood.

I have been running a AOD trans with my 302 motor, but I have a C6 for the 408w. I have considered taking the AOD to Steve Culhane to build it to handle the 408w power and torque.

Culhane is building my E4OD. He’s a good dude!

BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

hollandermotorsports wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:13 pm
I destroyed a 408w in less than 10 miles on Fitech. If doing any injection I highly recommend port injection. My motor leaned out a few cylinders. Lesson learned do not put a $500 management system on a $10k motor. On that bronco I installed carb and it runs great still 5000+ miles later.
What manifold? Single or dual plane?
Wrightracing.net

BDKW1 wrote:
Single Plane. I have watched some Dyno testing with a throttle body injection between the two and the single Plane gave better torque and overall HP numbers between the two.

Wrightracing.net

Wrightracing.net wrote:
BDKW1 wrote:
Single Plane. I have watched some Dyno testing with a throttle body injection between the two and the single Plane gave better torque and overall HP numbers between the two. At least That is what I want to do with my setup

BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Wrightracing.net wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:52 pm
Single Plane. I have watched some Dyno testing with a throttle body injection between the two and the single Plane gave better torque and overall HP numbers between the two.
It's not about power, dual planes have a habit of screwing with TB injections.
Wrightracing.net

BDKW1 wrote:
Wrightracing.net wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:52 pm
It's not about power, dual planes have a habit of screwing with TB injections.
I watched them Dyno the same motor with just changing from dual plane to single plane and the overall torque and HP ramp numbers were better and higher.

I would like to get an air gap single Plane intake that is not to high. I plan to run a custom airbox off to the side for a cool air intake.

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Been a handful of years since I looked at this, but my thought was always to run a Chevy TBI on an air gap intake man, but with Megasquirt as the management system. I'm not a motor guy and rely on others (my uncle typically) for the input & tuning. My uncle is a high end sports car builder and has used a few of the different systems and loves Megasquirt for the cost and tuneability. He says it's user friendly and easy, but then again he has the know how and experience. I never got to installing it so I can say if the system is easy for a simpleton like me or not. I also don't know that the megasquirt has the self learning or tuning capabilites that some of the other systems seem to have. Again, been too long since I looked at it. What I do remember my uncle saying though is that its pretty easy to update/change if you made changes on the motor. Seems like you could re-program/tune things easily after upgrades.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
hollandermotorsports

BDKW1 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:25 pm
If I recall correctly single plane.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Have you locked at GM TBI? Those systems were super simple and incredibly reliable.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Wrightracing.net

SteveG wrote:Have you locked at GM TBI? Those systems were super simple and incredibly reliable.
Something that is self tuning is the key for me. I can do fine tuning, but I want something I don't have to take into a Dyno shop to tune.

I plan to spend in the ballpark of $1000 to $1500. I just happened to come across a deal on a FItech Main Street 800 for a good deal because the guy is going to for more Horsepower.