Air Pump/emissions BS

bpburnard05
Bronco Info: 1995 bronco 5.8, e4od

Air Pump/emissions BS

Post by bpburnard05 »

I am trying to piece together my 95 bronco with a 5.8. Issue I am having is with the air pump. What’s the best way to deal with it? Leave it? Or delete it? Take it apart and mess with the vanes inside?

My other issue I’m having is that my headers (stock) do not have any provisions on the back side for the plumbing of all of this smog pump stuff? Parts engine had it but new engine does not.

I am in California, so what’s my route here?
One of my accessory brackets in the front is broken (where air pump attaches) so I’m using one from a parts engine and have this all apart to mess with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Air Pump/emissions BS

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Assuming you have to smog it I would configure things for however the emissions sticker on the underside of your hood shows them. So if there is the smog pump there - run it. The smog check tech looks at that sticker to see what is supposed to be on your truck so as to pass the visual inspection. If you are swapping in a 5.8 whereas you had a 5.0 or other stock then you may need to show a bar referee the truck and have him note the swap & what to do.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
bpburnard05

Air Pump/emissions BS

Post by bpburnard05 »

It had a 5.8 before the swap and a 5.8 is going in. I have one set of headers that have crossovers and all that plumbing into the headers. But the other set does not have any of those provisions. Just the valve from the throttle body to the passenger side front of manifold

bpburnard05

Air Pump/emissions BS

Post by bpburnard05 »

ImageImage
I have these two set ups. One needs to go tot he back it the heads and has no manifolds. And the other attaches to the manifolds

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

My GUESS is one is a CA setup and the other is not. Again, look at your emissions sticker under the hood. That is what the smog tech will look at when doing the visual inspection on the truck. If it shows on the sticker & is not there under the hood it's a visual fail.
bpburnard05

Air Pump/emissions BS

Post by bpburnard05 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:My GUESS is one is a CA setup and the other is not. Again, look at your emissions sticker under the hood. That is what the smog tech will look at when doing the visual inspection on the truck. If it shows on the sticker & is not there under the hood it's a visual fail.
Ok I will do that, it will be on the core support I’m assuming

LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Cheaper to get a PO Box in Borrego Springs
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

bpburnard05 wrote:Ok I will do that, it will be on the core support I’m assuming
You may be right on the core support. Been a while since I've looked apparently.

As for the PO box - I heard the DMV got wise to that & wouldn't allow the PO box thing to dictate county of residence for smog stuff. Supposedly you have to have a real street address. No personal experience here so I don't know.
That being said some of the UPS store type places use their street address for the address of their mail boxes and then each individual box is a different letter or suite # - so it reads like a regular address vs. PO box. All you have to look into then is their forwarding service to see if whenever you got mail in that box it could be forwarded to you vs. you having to make a trip out to wherever every year at registration time just to pick up the mail
bpburnard05

Air Pump/emissions BS

Post by bpburnard05 »

No smog related stickers on the core support. Haven’t seen anything on either hood that I have either. I found a system for the pump that works. Only thing I don’t have that I know I’m missing is there is a tube(metal) inch thick that I’m guessing matches up to the exhaust somewhere

bpburnard05

Air Pump/emissions BS

Post by bpburnard05 »

So this is what I put back on, only issue is I have no where for this tube to hook to insight. Not sure if it was cut or what it’s called. But I assume it goes to exhaust or atmosphere?

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Just curious.
Does the VIN tag tell you if the rig was a CA or US one. CA ones should not have the air pump just like all 96 ones. 95and 06 CA rigs were the same regarding emissions. The 95 CA rigs are few. Regardless with respect to differences between 95 and 96 there are many other differences.
bpburnard05

Air Pump/emissions BS

Post by bpburnard05 »

PaulW wrote:Just curious.
Does the VIN tag tell you if the rig was a CA or US one. CA ones should not have the air pump just like all 96 ones. 95and 06 CA rigs were the same regarding emissions. The 95 CA rigs are few. Regardless with respect to differences between 95 and 96 there are many other differences.
I can take a look at the vin when I get to my office tomorrow. My issue is I received the bronco without a working engine and the engine that was in it was not the original engine for the truck

bpburnard05

Air Pump/emissions BS

Post by bpburnard05 »

PaulW wrote:Just curious.
I can take a look at the vin when I get to my office tomorrow. My issue is I received the bronco without a working engine and the engine that was in it was not the original engine for the truck. so I’m not totally sure if it is correct or not