8.8 disc brake conversion help needed

biggiek
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Post by biggiek »

I rebuilt my 8.8 earlier this year and figured since it was apart I would add disc brakes for numerous reasons. I purchased the equivalent of the m-2300-g conversion kit (explorer based) and for the life of me cant get it right. I drove it home from the shop and there was a terrible click/grind/rubbing noise from what I assumed was the rotor not aligning with the caliper and rotating awkwardly. Based on some discussion and reading I decided to space out the rotor a quarter inch which eliminated the noises but caused my wheel to rotate in an off axis oval instead of circular. The final try was to use a thinner spacer which is now causing noise along with rotating off axis. Is this the wrong kit and will have no shot of making it work? There was mention of axle flange differences (thought an 8.8 was an 8.8 minus wms) but maybe not. Is reverting back to what I had the only option? Just at my wits end and for the first time in almost the 15 years of ownership cant stand driving it...
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: 8.8 disc brake conversion help needed

Post by AussieRod »

I'd check your C clips first, then axle bearings. If they are broken/damaged, the axle will float in and out of the housing, or have run-out, making it impossible to set the caliper clearance. Also, NEVER use a spacer between the rotor and axle. ALWAYS space the caliper mounts. My old 8.8 was terrible for one wheel lock-ups and unpredictable braking with it's factory drums, and NO new parts would solve the issue. The 9" is perfect, with no lock-up problems or braking issues (with ALL the respective NEW parts from the 8.8..... go figure). The axle bearings and wear surfaces on the axle need to be perfect when using disc brakes, too. Any run-out or excessive movement here will cause headaches trying to diagnose issues if they occur. Years ago, a friend of a friend botched a disc brake install on his F truck with a 8.8, it took some time and a lot of playing around to get it to fit and work correctly, mostly due to wear in the bearing area. Just my $0.02.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

I would put it back the original way it was set up to see what was actually rubbing. What is keeping the rotor centered on the flange?
biggiek

Post by biggiek »

The center of the rotor was opened to fit over the axle flange center.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

What kit did you go with? I see you mentioned a part number, but you put "equivalent". Would help avoid bad kits if that's the answer, or at least know what to look for and stay clear of.
biggiek

Post by biggiek »

It was one by quick performance which is a copy of the original Ford one. Teraflex Currie and others assemble the same one. I verified the installation of it all and pulled the any spacing I had behind the rotor out buy. Noticed play in the axle shaft left to right and to lesser up down which appears to be causing knockback of the rotor/caliper. I know there is going to be some play but it seems excessive ( a rough guess a quarter inch). Any feedback in regards to if this is normal and if not a remedy? I noticed when going around turns today on a short drive the bearings began to make noise which I think is related to the side load on them etc.
mounty71
Bronco Info: Mercury Mountaineer

Post by mounty71 »

Did you install the Explorer parking brake also? Does the noise continue when you are on the brakes? For me it would stop as soon as I touched the brakes. I have a Bronco 8.8 in my Mountaineer with stock rear disc brakes and developed a horrible clicking noise too after a wheeling trip, and I went crazy trying to figure it out. Eventually I found it to be a part of the parking brake tapping on the backing plate/dust shield thing with every revolution of the wheel, and the only way to stop it was to loosen up the parking brake so that it no longer functions. Temporary fix for me until I get my Currie housing in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mounty71
Bronco Info: Mercury Mountaineer

Post by mounty71 »

Actually I’m thinking about it again and it might have been the actual shoe tapping on it. For some reason the shoe gets pulled outwards at some point in the wheel’s revolution and then released and it falls back into position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
biggiek

Post by biggiek »

No parking brake.