Which Intercom Setup??

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Which Intercom Setup??

Post by VintageIronFab »

Hello All,
Well I’ve decided my F150 is cool enough for an intercom setup with headsets and the full meal deal:-). I’m not going to the SF 250 this weekend so that I can work a bunch of OT so I think I should get a present for my “Marilyn”— My question is simple- which one do I need? I have a 110w radio with the intercom mod I bought from David Wright (great guy btw) and I’d like to use that too. My truck is a 2 seater basically, I’d like the ability to run all the music stuff/doodads that are out there. I sound so dumb but if there’s a kit anyone can recommend that would be great. I realize these kits aren’t cheap but the thought of having the whole headset, intercom thing going on -while totally not needed just sounds killer lol!!

Thanks for the input!
Matt
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Re: Which Intercom Setup??

Post by 1Hondalover »

Easiest thing you've ever had to do Matt: https://www.ruggedradios.com/

There's this weird guy there named Steve that might be able to tell you exactly what you need with a little input from you.

I too had the pleasure of working with David and our 110 Kenwood. I don't have time to get wrapped up in the "who's the best" in off road communication, but I can tell you that our Rugged setup and the Kenwood repeatedly come under question from the others we're with about why it's so clear.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Ditto on the above. Call Rugged/Steve. PCI makes good stuff too and is helpful as well, but in my past experience they just cost more. Plus Steve is from here so Rugged is kind of in a long shot way a sponsor of GFB?!?! Anyway, whoever you go to will may have to give you an adapter for the intercom to the radio, but that depends on the radio model. It's been a while since I was looking so I'm sure the music features and phone hook in/override have just gotten better over the years. Ask what features there are on different models, or do a little reading online 1st.

On a side note, I got an email the other day from Rugged that the 660 model, 2 person intercom was on clearance for like 50% off. Might be worth asking about.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I run the Kenwood 790H 110w ( I also have David do my radio work)

I have used the following radios
Kenwood 790
Icom 5021
VX220
VX3200
Ham Kenwood 281A ( does not need to be programmed)

I have used the following intercoms
Rugged
Rugged 660
Rugged 510

Pci
Comlink 10
4 link pro elite

Avcomm
AR502
AR510
Ar550

What you will find is each company has there own twist or branding but the base units are going to be the same for the most part. I have added bluetooth and DSP to my current set up.

You don't really save money buying in stages or parts

make sure you see what is coming with the unit your buying to compare Apples to Apples. example does cables come with it, what cables? with you have the kenwood mod already done you will need one cable to plug into intercom.

this is the range when shopping
intercom $250-700 (alone)
cables $25-60 (each)
jumper $40-100 ( cable you need to make intercom radio work together)
filter $20-40 (run this between power and radio intercom)
radio $170-600 (40w-110w Ham to professional) you can spend more on the radio forsure then these prices listed
antenna $60-120
Headsets $55-300 each

If you buy a 2 seat intercom you can split the passenger seat with a cable to make it a 3 seat intercom. This also gives seat 3 push to talk option as they share a port. With the 4 seat intercom only the the front seats have the push to talk option. just a random thing I have found out.

when buying headsets make sure the headsets come with cables or they are not as cheap as they look to be.

like anything in this world tons of options to fit your needs. You have one of the main parts to make your set up work very well with the quality radio.

enjoy your shopping ha

Willie
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

GFB Members have an in. PM me if you’re interested.
Sho nuff,
SteveG