FRONT DIFF. GEARS

THEJESUS
Bronco Info: WHITE 1992 BRONCO XLT w/ 4" LIFT ON 35" TOYO OPEN COUNTRY'S

FRONT DIFF. GEARS

Post by THEJESUS »

I did a search and mainly found stuff on the rear end. I have the truck in the shop right now because my front spider gear decided to take a crap on me is now in pieces. My carrier should be ok... My question is since they have it apart should I use the stock carrier or upgrade it to something better? Also what spider gears would you all recommend? The shop is suggesting sierra gears... Never heard of them are they any good?

Also I have 4.56 gears right now

thanks
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: FRONT DIFF. GEARS

Post by 300 »

When the spider gears go, it often ruins the carrier as well as the ring and pinion. If you're running an open front end, Dana stuff is pretty standard and available. We run an open front end and replace the spider gears often. They will go 1000 miles, but not 2000 with the abuse we give them in our application. If you want to go to more spider gears, you need to step up to something like an ARB carrier, which I believe has 4. It's then your option whether to go ahead with the rest of the locking hardware. We haven't run any other lockers in the front, because it runs at high speeds all the time, with solid hubs, and we are afraid of a locker causing any ill handling issues. So far it is just cheaper to replace the spiders on a regular basis and treat them like glass. Sierra Gears does make ring and pinions. In our experience, all of the available R&P's for 44's are imported anyway, and not that great.
THEJESUS

Post by THEJESUS »

ok just spoke with the shop and they stated the carrier is ok just the spider gear was out. I have the options of going Dana gears or Sierra which I plan to do the Dana. I dont do anything crazy in 4x4 nor do I use it that often. I think I will be ok going with the Dana stuff.
THEJESUS

Post by THEJESUS »

Sooo ended up going with Eaton truetrac system up front... Found out I have 4.11 gears not 4.56 like I was told when I bought the truck.. oh well. Excited to see how this system handles.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

That sounds good. Would like to hear how you like the truetrac.
THEJESUS

Post by THEJESUS »

300 wrote:That sounds good. Would like to hear how you like the truetrac.

will post back once I get it back in a few days.