Bracing Door Panels

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Bracing Door Panels

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Has anyone reinforced their plastic door panels? Mine are super flimsy/flappy, to the point my drivers side mirror wobbles in the thin sheet metal.

I’m going to likely pull them off soon to check on my sticking drivers door handle, and a mystery rattling inside the passenger door, and throwing sound insulation in while it’s apart.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Bracing Door Panels

Post by Tchajagos »

I hate these door panels with a passion. The shaky mirror is likely broken. It has 2 bolts on the outside and one on the inside of the door. The arm that goes across to the inside of the door usually breaks from normal use. The door latch might be either the door skin is cracked and allowing movement enough so the handle doesn’t get enough throw, or the handles pivot pin might have worn through the bracket (have had this happen)
Becks_Bronco

Re: Bracing Door Panels

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Tchajagos wrote:I hate these door panels with a passion. The shaky mirror is likely broken. It has 2 bolts on the outside and one on the inside of the door. The arm that goes across to the inside of the door usually breaks from normal use. The door latch might be either the door skin is cracked and allowing movement enough so the handle doesn’t get enough throw, or the handles pivot pin might have worn through the bracket (have had this happen)
That's what i was thinking on the mirror just based on pictures of replacements online. If only i could find a setoff blinker mirrors for a reasonable price... lol.

I'll have to see what's up with the handle system once i open it. Some days its totally fine, other days i have to roll down the window and open it using the outside handle. It looks like Solo makes a brace if the door skin is starting to fail.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Will, I'm pretty sure I've got interior handles/mechanisms here in the garage if you find an issue. I know I've got the exterior handles for sure. Think I have the interiors too as I was considering grafting all onto my crew.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Will, I'm pretty sure I've got interior handles/mechanisms here in the garage if you find an issue. I know I've got the exterior handles for sure. Think I have the interiors too as I was considering grafting all onto my crew.
Awesome! I didn’t get around to digging I to the doors this weekend, but I’m going to try this weekend along with rear diff fluid and maybe the front.