Muffler Options

Broncco
Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco Beast XLT

Muffler Options

Post by Broncco »

Muffler options

Whats up guys Im looking to upgrade the sound of my bronco. Currently all stock but I need a rumble coming out of that V8. I want to add a new muffler with a single 3” exit. I’m looking for something aggressive but easy on the drone cause after all It is my daily driver. Here are some options I was thinking about let me know what you guys recommend thanks

* Blackwidow / venom 250
* Bassani
* Borla
* Gibson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Re: Muffler Options

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I've never heard a Borla that didn't sound good. I don't know how their durability etc is though.

I spent some time talking with the Blackwidow guys at the Off Road Expo, and they really seem to know their stuff. Or course it could have been salesmen smoke and mirrors because i don't know much about gas pressure, velocity and fluid mechanics, but it all sounded really good. I have a feeling their stuff is on the louder end of the spectrum though.

Typically you want to stuff the LARGEST muffler you can in the space available. Deeper tone, and more space for the pulses to even out, reducing drone. Keeping the exhaust routed out the side or rear of the truck vs underneath will also help a lot with drone.

my $.02, fwiw.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Muffler Options

Post by RyanDS650X »

MagnaFlow 12279 Exhaust Muffler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XQQ0AA/re ... GCbAKE5FGV

This is what I run and love the sound. It was the biggest one I could find at 24" long.
Black widow is LOUD a buddy of mine has one on his bronco and it's too much for me for any length of time.
No experience with the others you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

Running a Borla on my '96 with a custom y-pipe and Bassanis. Sounds great to me.

Maybe a little louder than the MagnaFlow i used to run, especially when I'm on it. No drone though.

Richard at RPM did my y-pipe and suggested the Borla to save space, as I had him run it out pass side in front of the rear tire.

Here's a link to my rig on the dyno if you'd like sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuUz4NzsGuM
Broncco

Muffler Options

Post by Broncco »

DMbronco wrote:Running a Borla on my '96 with a custom y-pipe and Bassanis. Sounds great to me.

Maybe a little louder than the MagnaFlow i used to run, especially when I'm on it. No drone though.

Richard at RPM did my y-pipe and suggested the Borla to save space, as I had him run it out pass side in front of the rear tire.

Here's a link to my rig on the dyno if you'd like sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuUz4NzsGuM
Sounds good I like it what borla are you using ?

biggiek
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Post by biggiek »

I went with the 14 inch version of what ryan got. I love it as well.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

I'm using a Flowmaster Delta 40 3 chamber 3" centre/centre with a 12" long straight through 3" ' hot dog' out through the side. It sounds nice with no drone inside (surprisingly). Remember I have ZERO sound proofing from underfelt or carpet and at cruise, it's quite pleasant inside with the window up. It's definately noisier with the window dowm, but that's the idea. I get to enjoy that V8 growl. :D 8-)
Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Muffler Options

Post by Bondobob »

ImageImage

Mufflers??? I have not had a muffler for years... Cats keep it plenty quiet and legal in Cali yet it sounds good when you lean on the throttle.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

I have bassani y-pipe to a magnaflow high flow cat to a black widow 300. The sounds is awrsome amd almost no drone but Its a little loud for my tastes. I think I'm officially old now. :lol:
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Muffler Options

Post by cs_drums »

I’m with bonfobob, I have stock y-pipe and cats withthe rear cat opened to 3”, no muffler. Sounds great, dual cars muffle it plenty. No if I could only hear it over my bypasses. ImageImage Here is a unique perspectiveImageImage

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

My set-up:
P1010198.JPG
P1010198.JPG (87.41 KiB) Viewed 591 times
P1010193.JPG
P1010193.JPG (86.66 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Broncco

Muffler Options

Post by Broncco »

Going tomorrow morning to the muffler shop to get a quote who know just might get it all done. Stock y-pipe and cats just going to add a blackwidow venom 250 with new 3” pipe coming out the back wish me luck

Maybe going with borla going to sleep on it

S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Muffler Options

Post by S00TLYFE »

I have a black widow venom 250 and it sounds really good