York in Place of "Smog Pump"

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

York in Place of "Smog Pump"

Post by Becks_Bronco »

My truck is a 96, so i just have an idler pulley instead of the smog pump. This is for people with the idler pulley, or who have deleted the smog pump.

Has anyone installed a York compressor there? Or does anyone have a link to install info? I found one on FSB, but it's kind of a shade-tree hack job, and i'm not really looking to go that route.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: York in Place of "Smog Pump"

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

On board air?

Haven't done it, but I have a York sitting here for it & have contemplated in the past. Been waaay too long since I've looked at it though. Where the belt passes the idler - is the idler on the back or front of the belt. Assuming front if you're considering this? If so I'd think you could fabricate a bracket to hold the york there.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Yep, on board air. Never been a fan of the 12v pumps, as they take forever, even the dual ARB’s can be on the slow side, especially with 35’s. I have a 10lb co2 bottle, but it’s finite.

Not sure what you mean by in front of or behind the belt? York’s can spin either direction from what I understand. It wouldn’t be the first time I were wrong though.

I would put the York where this belt layout show the air pump. Surprised there’s no aftermarket bracket for this location yet, I don’t want to delete my A/C to run this which is common.
Attachments
61D49A0E-9D75-4961-863B-CCDF2D9A83CF.gif
61D49A0E-9D75-4961-863B-CCDF2D9A83CF.gif (10.9 KiB) Viewed 387 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

by front or back of belt I was meaning where the belt hit the pulley in question. Meaning, if it was on the slick (back) side or the ribbed (front) side of the belt as idler pullies can be found on either and I couldn't remember the specific layout here. You want it on the ribbed side for more belt to pulley/accessory contact. So where the AP in that belt diagram is good.

And I hear ya on the york vs. 12v compressors. I have a 12v and it leaves a LOT to be desired. It works. It's just SLOW. I also have the finite CO2 bottle setup. I wanna find a way to work this york I have saved in instead of either.

I can't help you on anyone who has done it before, but like you said you'd hope there'd be a bracket out there. I couldn't find anything but a super hack "bracket" someone offered for the cummins when I was looking at trying to add it to the crew though. And lots of guys run those motors too. I started looking at running it under the cab, driven off the center drriveshaft (divorced t-case, twin sticked so I could spin the center shaft only if I wanted).
I guess just too many guys are fine with losing AC to get the on board air to make anyone wanna do a bracket.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

What model York compressor do you have Steve? I’ve read that the 210 is the one to get?

If I can track one down in a JY and pull it, I’m going to see if my fab guy can make a bracket for me. Might be worth having him draw it up in CAD, and have it tabbed for easy assembly, he might be able to sell some.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

To be honest I don't remember. It's off a 70's F series truck with a 460. My buddy gave it to me a while back & as I was looking into the on board air setup using one. I've just had it tucked away ever since.

As for fab guy making one - I'm sure he can. I'd definitely have him do it in cad & keep the file if he does. Wouldn't hurt to be able to sell one or 2 in the future to offset your/his cost.