Overheating issues

Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Overheating issues

Post by Cactus Cooler »

351w & E40D …..So awhile back had some overheating issues, it all started when the tensioner pulley decided to go south on the way to Barstow 1 hot summer day ( tried to baby it back home) which eventually took out the belt and had to be towed home. So new belt, new tensioner, replaced all hoses w/clamps, had the radiator flushed and checked out ( all was way okay) new thermostat. Seemed to be golden, but that being said I rarely drive this and I take it on small drives every few weeks, not real long trips. So not real sure the problem was fixed?
Then it was winter, really didn't notice much in high Temps when driving... fast forward to this spring , weather little warmer,, starting to get some temps back into the system again.. I decided to change the fan clutch, asked for the stock clutch from NAPA ( not what I got, apparently someone switched the boxes and put a Medium duty clutch in the stock box) Put it in anyways, temps were down …..But the thing sound like a Movie set tornado freaking wind machine driving down the road...clutch always engaged it seams... robs the piss of HP in that 351W... so back to getting the stock clutch back in it... runs fine, daily driving never gets too high, again... fast forward to last weekend. Driving up 395 up the grade before Mammoth, thing starts to climb in temps again???
So I'm getting to wonder???? not enough flow to the Radiator??? I have 3 Baja design lights in front of the radiator and big Aluminum skid with no holes in it to the Radiator... Wondering if anyone has had the same issue? Im gonna start with making a pattern in the skid ( was originally gonna do it anyways, just never did) for some more ventilation...Also thought about going to electric 2 fans instead of the clutch fan..... Thought?? Last would be doing the Eldelbrock Hi flow water pump...would rather not do that, as I am probably at some time soon putting another motor in it and don't really want to spend the time, money and effort in doing that... THOUGHTS & Suggestions please
I'M ALL JACKED UP ON MOUNTIN DEWwwwww!
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Re: Overheating issues

Post by RyanDS650X »

How many messages are on it? Mine has 199k and it's due for a rebuild. I'll be interested to see replys as well .
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

*miles
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Do a PSI test on cooling sytem and check the PSI drop. Something is leaking down, put dry in system
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

If the cooling system is stock and the motor is not hurt you will never have overheating. The Stock Ford cooling components are basically bullet proof. Of course Ford does sell cooling options, like the tow package which comes with a thicker rad core and the trans cooler.
Bottom line if you keep it stock and still have overheating look for another problem - probably the motor?
BTW, stuff in front of the radiator does not affect the motor cooling. My front skid did have big holes because I liked the look and I had a PS cooler behind it so I thought extra air would be good for it.
One thing for sure never even try an electric fan. There are none that match the stock mechanical fan.
Get a new Ford Clutch, Ford water pump, rad cap, and report back. It is a good thing you did the flush.
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

What temps are you seeing? Or is the needle just getting a little too close for comfort to the "H" on the stock gauge?

Todd Z.
Cactus Cooler

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Well it started to boil over on the grade to Mammoth... pulled over before that could happen. Luckily it cooled down enough and added coolant . And actually don't have a temp Gauge just the ford stock low/high idiot gauge. Adding one next... Thinking maybe the wrong thermostat is in it, I had the local radiator shop do the Flush, new hoses, Radiator cap & thermostat... I'll have to double check on the thermostat and if that's not it, Ill put a good hiflo water pump in it. Like I said it never got hot with the Heavy duty Fan clutch, just made a crap load of noise and power loss.

Drove it today and it never got over halfway, but then again never hit a big grade for a long period of time either,,, soooo?

And the motor runs great! I drive usually no faster than 70 on the hwy most of the time 65
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Overheating issues

Post by Tchajagos »

Was the coolant low? If you have a small leak in the heater core or radiator cap or somewhere else you can’t see, you may not know the coolant is low until it overheats. That’s what the psi test should show.

Second is how old is the water pump? A lot of times the impeller will rust away and give almost no flow.

Also you should check your spark plugs and compression test the cylinders. It will tell you if overheating the motor cause the head gasket to leak. Possible small leak of coolant into the cylinder or compression into the coolant.
Cactus Cooler

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Tchajagos wrote:Was the coolant low? If you have a small leak in the heater core or radiator cap or somewhere else you can’t see, you may not know the coolant is low until it overheats. That’s what the psi test should show.

Second is how old is the water pump? A lot of times the impeller will rust away and give almost no flow.

Also you should check your spark plugs and compression test the cylinders. It will tell you if overheating the motor cause the head gasket to leak. Possible small leak of coolant into the cylinder or compression into the coolant.

Well think you might of hit the nail on the head, did a little drive today and parked it... Coolant on the ground, Dohhh! looks like it might be coming from the head, possibly the back of the motor hard to tell. gonna do a pressure check next weekend.
So if its the heads, do i do a full build now or just a repair? Hate throwing money at something that gonna come out anyway if its just a repair.... So a 408w or do i do the Chevy conversion???? crap
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Overheating issues

Post by cs_drums »

Check freeze plugs too. Easy fix

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk