Radius arm and spring advice

Balls
Bronco Info: 84

Radius arm and spring advice

Post by Balls »

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on selecting a brand of radius arms and coil springs for my bronco. Unfortunately I need something that will work with axle pivot drop brackets as I live in Australia so the cost of shipping on cut and turned beams would bankrupt me and nobody here does them.
This bronco sees mainly fire roads and light trail work, I'm not interested in doing a SAS as I want it to ride well on bumpy roads and washboards. I've imported some Bilstein 4" 5100s and picked up brackets from a guy on FSB that have holes for both the 4" and 6" lift.
Do the camburg and Autofab arms need C&T beams to work correctly? Also are there any 4" springs that have a rate similar to the deaver 5.5s which seem to soak up the rough stuff the best from what I've read.

Thanks,

Stu
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Re: Radius arm and spring advice

Post by Polarcub »

The extended radius arms will work fine with your setup cutting and turning has no bearing per say on the ability to use them and enjoy the benefits. As far as springs go I have heard that the superlift springs are a pretty good option. I have no experience with them though first hand.
Welcome to the board I am looking forward to seeing how things progress for you.
Jeremy
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Superlift spring are what I have and I'm very happy with them. I used my longer radius arms with brackets for a long time without any issue. You may look into having a local fab shop build a set for you... they are a simple component to make.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Balls
Bronco Info: 84

Post by Balls »

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll stick some pictures up when I eventually get it presentable.
Philofab I have considered getting some arms made up here, the thing that attracts me to camburg and autofab is that they will probably be stronger than anything I will ever throw at them and that peace of mind is worth the dolloars to me. I'm sure you are right there would be pleanty of fab shops that could make them for me but knowing that this is probably the first set they have ever done and is based on some photos or whatever info I can supply them, I wouldnt be comfortable driving it on the road. The other reason is that over here changes like this must be "engineered" (inspected by a government certified engineer and a report written on them) to be street legal and insurable and I think buying arms from a reputable manufacturer MAY make this process less painful (fingers crossed).
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

What ever happened with this? You buy any? Im surprised no one said but cut and turned beams (without all the extra plating or trussing) dont weigh much different than extended radius arms (I was surprised to pick up some and find this out).
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
Rednek Renegade
Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco Xlt 5.8L 4V H.O. C6, NP2o8

Post by Rednek Renegade »

Balls wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, I'll stick some pictures up when I eventually get it presentable.
Philofab I have considered getting some arms made up here, the thing that attracts me to camburg and autofab is that they will probably be stronger than anything I will ever throw at them and that peace of mind is worth the dolloars to me. I'm sure you are right there would be pleanty of fab shops that could make them for me but knowing that this is probably the first set they have ever done and is based on some photos or whatever info I can supply them, I wouldnt be comfortable driving it on the road. The other reason is that over here changes like this must be "engineered" (inspected by a government certified engineer and a report written on them) to be street legal and insurable and I think buying arms from a reputable manufacturer MAY make this process less painful (fingers crossed).

Have you considered using stock 99-up 2wd superduty radius arms? They are over a foot longer, very easy to install and everything would have a factory ford part # for you to get past the inspection!
Project el cheap-o