4340 ttb shafts

TravisITGuy
Bronco Info: 94 FSB 5.8/e40d, 6"Procomp stage II lift, 4.88 gears, front aussie locker, 35"bfg AT,

4340 ttb shafts

Post by TravisITGuy »

Good day everyone, rather new to the site. I typically frequent fullsizebronco.com since my bronco is used for wheeling more than go fast. With that said i enjoy the ride of the TTB and feel it does what i ask of it when playing in the snow or running some trails with various terrain.

What i am wondering about is the 4340 axle shafts available at JBG. I noticed they dont offer a stub shaft in 4340 so that would mean changing over to a D50 stub for added strength. Also the stock axle design is only 19 spline on the outers. Is there a 30 spline option?

I am currently running a 35" tire, aussie locker up front and 4.88's front/rear. I may run a 37" tire at some point and that would be my max tire height. I appreciate any feedback you guys can provide.

Thanks
Travis
94 FSB 5.8/e40d, 6"Procomp stage II lift, 4.88 gears, front aussie locker, 35"bfg AT,Eddy efi intake and JBA headers. custom front bumper with a warn HS9500, custom sliders.
TravisITGuy
Bronco Info: 94 FSB 5.8/e40d, 6"Procomp stage II lift, 4.88 gears, front aussie locker, 35"bfg AT,

Re: 4340 ttb shafts

Post by TravisITGuy »

so nobody is running upgraded shafts?
94 FSB 5.8/e40d, 6"Procomp stage II lift, 4.88 gears, front aussie locker, 35"bfg AT,Eddy efi intake and JBA headers. custom front bumper with a warn HS9500, custom sliders.
Stan the Man
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco, trail ready/sand loving.

Post by Stan the Man »

TravisITGuy wrote:so nobody is running upgraded shafts?
You can run the 4340 ttb shafts but your weak link will still be the stub shaft (even more so since you've beefed up the outer shafts).

With a basic non-cut & turn beam lift (your Procomp lift), you can get away with the D50 stub shaft and larger u-joint – just follow the instructions on FSB. With a C&T beam set up, the D50 stub shaft will bind prematurely. Sure you can grind down a significant amount to the edges to clearance it, but you'll weaken the ends too much. At that point, you're better off sticking with the D44 stub shaft and carrying spares.

Keep in mind, some of the guys here use 4x4 only to get out of trouble.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

the best option is the RCV stuff if you are going to be a fulll time 4x bronco user
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
Stan the Man

Post by Stan the Man »

funinthesun95 wrote:the best option is the RCV stuff if you are going to be a fulll time 4x bronco user
Does that include the stub shaft as well? The photo on RCV's page looks like it does. For $2k, I'd hope so. – http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-d ... u=CVJTTB-C

Also, it looks like the RCV shafts change the outer shafts from 19 spline to 30 spline. Is there a change to the locking hubs that needs to take place to go back together?
Stan the Man

Post by Stan the Man »

Stan the Man wrote:
funinthesun95 wrote:the best option is the RCV stuff if you are going to be a fulll time 4x bronco user
Does that include the stub shaft as well? The photo on RCV's page looks like it does. For $2k, I'd hope so. – http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-d ... u=CVJTTB-C

Also, it looks like the RCV shafts change the outer shafts from 19 spline to 30 spline. Is there a change to the locking hubs that needs to take place to go back together?
Hey, sorry nobody answered this for you.

Yeah, their TTB kit includes the much needed center stub and slip shafts.

You're also correct, you'll need to convert your 19 spline hubs to 30 spline. RCV has a part for that (you'll need a pair) – https://www.rcvperformance.com/30-splin ... grade.html